Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Story for Charlie by Darkness Enshrouds

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes:

Soooo. It's definitely up later than I'd planned, but the plotbunnies decided they were going to hide, so blame them. On a more serious note, things may or may not get a bit less, erm, fluffy, in this chapter. :)

 

“...and Ginny, unless I’ve completely lost my mind...I think Charlie’s going to propose!” 

Ginny let out a completely uncharacteristic shriek. 

“Oh...MERLIN! Venice!”

 

“I know!” Venice cried, bursting into tears all over again.

 

Ginny flung her arms around the other girl.

 

“Why are you crying?”

 

“I don’t know!” Venice wailed. “I’m so happy, I really am...I don’t know why this surprised me so much....Ginny, you have to help me! You know I haven’t got anything to wear to dinner tonight, and I’m completely bollocks at shopping...will you help me find a dress? Please please please say yes! I’m desperate!”

 

Ginny laughed, pushing Venice onto the bed.

 

“Yes, of course I’ll help you! Sit down, breathe, and let me change; I’m not going shopping in my pajamas, no matter how desperate you are.”

 

She chuckled as she stepped to her dresser, pulled a few things out, and left the room. Venice put her hands over her face and pulled in a couple deep breaths, trying to slow the racing of her heart. Ginny was ready record time, dressed in jeans and a sweater with a large ‘G’ knitted on the front. Venice had to smile when she saw it; she knew firsthand the wonders of Molly’s hand-knitted Weasley sweaters. She’d gotten one for Christmas the year before, but thankfully, hers had simply been a simple, dark blue, no letters knitted on the front.

 

Ginny cast her friend a questioning glance.

 

“Are you ready, or do you need a minute?”

 

The smirk that was lurking at the corners of her mouth ruined the serious tone of her voice. Venice snatched a pillow from the bed and launched it at Ginny.

 

“Yes, you brat, I’m ready. Let’s go before I change my mind.”

 

Three hours and several shops later, Venice stood before a large mirror, twirling slowly in a circle, a huge grin on her face.

 

“This is it, Ginny! This is it! I’m sure this time, I promise.”

 

The brilliant green material flowed neatly down to her ankles, the off-the-shoulder top showing the perfect amount of skin. Ginny twirled her finger in a circle, a silent command for Venice to spin around one more time. Feeling silly, Venice obliged, and Ginny sighed dreamily.

 

“You’re right; it’s absolutely perfect!”

 

Impulsively, Venice threw her arms around her friend, feeling the sudden, crazy urge to cry again.

 

“Thanks for your help, Weasley.”

 

“Anytime, Moon. Anytime.”

 

~~~

 

Two hours later Venice was in a state of near hysteria. Her imagination refused to stop creating images of Charlie down on one knee in various places; the Leaky Cauldron, Diagon Alley, the Burrow…

 

Her hands shook as she dried her hair with her wand, her knees wobbled as she slipped into the dress. Her stomach twisted in knots as she coiled her hair atop her head and charmed it in place; if she couldn’t force herself to relax she wouldn’t be able to eat anything, and then Charlie would certainly know she suspected something…

 Get a grip on yourself, girl! 

Fully dressed, she sank onto the bed and closed her eyes, breathing deeply in and out, counting to seven between each breath.

 

After a few moments she heaved a sigh and lurched off the bed. She wandered down the hall without paying much attention to where she was going, ending up in the kitchen. The flowery smell that assaulted her nose made her smile, and she relaxed a bit at the sight of the bouquets.

 

Relax, silly: you KNOW he loves you.

 

Her smile widened; yes, she DID know Charlie loved her. A man that wasn’t in love with a woman did not buy her flowers, and he most certainly did NOT buy her several dozen bouquets of them.

 

She sat down and took another deep breath, closing her eyes again.

 

She sat like that, silent and still, until a sharp tingle in her toe as her foot woke up made her jump. Her eyes flew to the clock on the kitchen wall, and her heart jumped in her chest.

 

Ten minutes.

 

She got up, patting a clammy hand over her hair as she went to find her shoes.

 

Five minutes.

 

She slipped her wand into her purse, slung it over her shoulder, and stepped out the door.

 

She waved a hello at Tom as she weaved her way around the tables inside the Leaky Cauldron. He grinned his toothless grin at her as he wiped the bar to a shine.

 

She started up the stairs, pausing on the first landing to take a few deep breaths.

 

Summoning her last amount of nerve, she turned the corner. Charlie’s room was at the end of the short hallway; she could see his door as soon as she’d rounded the corner.

 

She smoothed the skirt of her dress as she moved down the hallway, her lips breaking into a smile as she lifted a hand to knock on Charlie’s door.

 

For a moment there was no response, and then she heard Charlie’s terrified voice.

 

“Venice! RUN!”

 

She didn’t have time to process his words; with a bang that set her ears ringing the door exploded, throwing her violently across the hall. Her head connected with the wall and she collapsed.

 

Venice!

 

She heard Charlie screaming her name from a million miles away. Something warm and wet was dripping into her eyes; she couldn’t see, couldn’t move.

 

Another explosion shook the floor beneath her. Something heavy landed on her chest, forcing the air from her lungs. She gasped uselessly, head swimming.

 

Charlie screamed again; the sound ripped through her, right to her heart.

 

She summoned every ounce of willpower, forcing herself onto hands and knees, crawling blindly toward where Charlie’s voice had sounded.

 

“Charlie! Charlie, where are you? What’s happening?”

 

The dust was so thick she started coughing and couldn’t stop. She swiped a hand across her eyes as she bumped headfirst into the wall, the pale color blending perfectly with the dust.

 

“Charlie!”

 

There was no answer.

 

She stared around her, straining her eyes, seeing nothing.

 

A sudden movement beside her, a footstep, the swish of a cloak.

 

“Charlie?”

 

Silence.

 

She stayed where she was for a moment, waiting for the dust to settle so she could properly see. When she could finally make out the outlines of Charlie’s furniture, she was horrified at what she saw.

 

Everything was dismantled, out of place. The bed had been thrown against the wall, the headboard smashed to splinters. There was a scorch mark on the wall opposite, the desk and chair beneath it lying in pieces, as though something heavy had landed on them.

 

But most importantly, there was no Charlie.

 

She pushed herself to her feet, struggling back out to the hallway against a wave of dizziness.

 

Still no Charlie.

 

Her stomach dropped into her feet and she swayed where she stood, grasping for the wall.

 

Footsteps were pounding up the stairs, concerned voices shouting her name and Charlie’s. A pair of arms caught her as she fainted…

 

Chapter Endnotes:

*ducks all the flying rotten produce*

I love  you?

:P