Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Stars Apart by Willow Rosenberg

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: We're in the homestretch! Shoutout to Sam for editing the past few chapters :)

------------------------------

–James. Wake up. Wake up! We have to go!”

James sat bolt upright, suddenly panicked. –Whasgoinon?” he asked, blinking and bleary-eyed. –Is it Transfiguration? Did I miss it? Did I--”

–Calm down,” said Sirius, looking amused. –N.E.W.T.s aren’t for another week. Although you,” he paused, fishing out a book from beneath James’s pillow and looking at it with disgust, –fell asleep studying again. Really Prongs? Books in bed?”

But James had stopped listening to him, flopping over and tugging his pillow over his head. –Then why,” he asked in a muffled voice, –am I awake right now, Padfoot?”

–Because,” Sirius said, poking him insistently, –I have something to show you.”

James sat up again, reaching for his glasses. Squinting around Sirius, he said, –The sun isn’t even up yet. There’s no reason I should be.”

Sirius just looked at him, eyes wide.

–No,” James said firmly, burying his head in his pillow again. –Don’t look at me like that.”

A moment later, he peeked out to see Sirius still looking mournfully at him.

–Okay,” James groaned, rolling to his feet. Sirius beamed at him, watching impatiently as he pulled on his socks.

–It’s worth it,” he assured him.

–Better be,” James muttered. –Should we wake those two up?”

Sirius glanced at the shapes that were the sleeping Remus and Peter and shook his head. –Nah,” he said. –I want you to see it first.”

–I’m so touched,” James said dryly, and got to his feet.

Sirius was positively dancing around him with excitement as they slipped out of the common room. –Where are we going, anyway?” James asked, yawning and stretching his arms above his head.

–Outside,” Sirius said cheerfully, and James gave him a dirty look. –What?” Sirius protested. –It’s not that cold out. Just a little damp.”

–I hate you,” James said.

The sun was just beginning to rise when they walked out onto the grounds, mist rising faintly from the grass. James grumbled as the dew from the damp grass soaked through his shoes, but Sirius seemed impervious to anything that would dampen his spirits.

–All right,” he told James. –Remember, a few months ago, Regulus told me that my uncle Alphard died?”

–Yep,” said James. –Didn’t he try to leave you money?”

–Actually,” Sirius said, –he successfully left me money.”

–Oh yeah?” James said, his interest piqued. –How much?”

–Enough,” Sirius admitted. –Enough to live on for awhile, actually.”

James stopped dead, and Sirius walked a few paces past him before realizing and turning around.

–So,” James asked slowly, –does that mean you…”

–Won’t be living with you anymore?” Sirius finished for him, dropping in energy slightly. –It could. I’ve got to leave the nest sometime, you know?”

–Yeah,” James said. –But…wow. My parents will miss you desperately.”

–I know,” Sirius said. –They’ll be losing their favorite child!”

James groaned and punched him lightly in the arm. –They’ll get over it eventually, I’m sure,” he said. –Do you know where you’ll go instead?”

Sirius shrugged. –No, but none of us really do,” he said. –Who knows, maybe we’ll all be living in a flat in London next year!”

James shuddered. –We have another month left,” he said. –I don’t need to think about the real world yet.”

–Good man,” Sirius said. –And speaking of idle fantasies…I couldn’t resist using a little of Uncle Alphard’s money for something a little more…fun.”

James looked up. –What, did you buy Hagrid’s house from him?” he asked, as they approached the gamekeeper’s home.

Sirius rolled his eyes. –No,” he said. –Hagrid’s just letting me stow it back here. And…voilà!” He grabbed James arm and darted forward, yanking him just behind Hagrid’s house.

James looked at him, open-mouthed. –That,” he said slowly, suddenly wide-awake, –appears to be a motorcycle.”

Sirius beamed. –Isn’t she beautiful?”

Several thoughts chased themselves through James’s head--it was impetuous, it was a waste of money, there was no way Sirius wasn’t going to get caught on the grounds with this--but when he opened his mouth, all he heard himself say was, –When can I have a go, then?”

–Not until after I do!” Sirius said indignantly. –And here’s the best part--she flies.”

–Come again?” James said, turning towards him.

–You heard me,” Sirius nodded. –Flies. In fact--” he paused to casually dust off one of his shoulders, –I bet we could take you on your broomstick.”

James planted his hands on his hips. –That sounds like a challenge.”

–I’d even put money on it.”

–You watch yourself,” James said, pointing at him, –because you’re on.”

---

Lily woke suddenly that morning, feeling as exhausted as she had when she went to sleep. Sighing, she rolled onto her side, rubbing her eyes and shaking herself out of the last vestiges of the usual nightmare. Focus on something else, she told herself firmly, and her mind landed on N.E.W.T.s. They were a week away still, but the seventh years, like the fifth years and their O.W.L.s, could think of little else. Transfiguration, she thought, concentrating on what was sure to be one of the most difficult tests. I can start with that today.

This routine, carefully organizing her day, helped her steady herself in the morning after so many restless nights. She brushed one hand back against her still-clammy forehead and sat up, in control.

When she drew back the hangings of her bed, she found herself face-to-face with Leda Wood.

Lily blinked, not sure what to say. Her contact with Leda over the past several months had been all but nonexistent, but not the other girl was standing in front of her, arms folded tightly, looking a little uncomfortable.

–Hi,” Lily said cautiously. Biting her lip, Leda rocked forward onto the balls of her feet, but said nothing. Lily waited for a breath, then shrugged, and started to step around her.

–It’s okay,” Leda said suddenly, ad Lily turned back towards her.

–Excuse me?”

–You’ve been having nightmares,” Leda said matter-of-factly. –I can tell.”

–I don’t see,” Lily said stiffly, –how that’s any of your business, but--”

–It’s normal,” Leda interrupted her, and for a moment, Lily just looked at her in stunned silence. –I don’t know exactly what happened to you--no one does, there’s just a rumor going around that you were in some sort of fight over the holidays--but I recognize the signs. I did some research on the Cruciatus Curse last…last term, and, well, the nightmares are normal.”

Feeling suddenly ashamed of herself, Lily sank down onto the edge of her bed. –I forgot,” she whispered, because she had--with everything that had happened recently, she had forgotten that Leda herself had been subjected to the Cruciatus Curse in the Shrieking Shack.

Leda did not meet her eyes. –I didn’t.”

–I’m sorry,” Lily said as honestly as she could, and now it was Leda’s turn to shrug.

–It’s fine,” she said. –I got over it. But I just figured someone should tell you--Sirius wouldn’t be able to. Annabelle told me that they roughed him up, but they didn’t use the Cruciatus Curse on him, which means he wouldn’t know…”

Leda exhaled, looking out the window, and then came to sit gingerly on the bed beside Lily. –Here’s the thing about the Cruciatus Curse,” she said. –It doesn’t technically cause any physical harm--it targets pain receptors in the mind, and simulates intense torture. And that’s why you don’t get used to it ever. But also it means it’s not targeting your body, it’s targeting your brain. And that means there can be side effects. The nightmares are one of them. And I’ve heard stories…if you’re exposed long enough, the curse can make you go insane. So. The nightmares are normal.”

Lily nodded. –Thank you,” she said, although the words felt inadequate.

Leda stood to go, but stopped suddenly and turned back to look at Lily. –We’re not really friends, are we?” she said.

Wondering where this was going, but not wanting to lie, Lily simply shook her head.

–That’s okay,” Leda said, –I don’t really want to be. I know we’ve never liked each other much”--Lily felt it would not be prudent to point out the reasons for this--–and that’s fine. But about the curse…I just thought you should know. And I won’t tell anyone.”

And without another word, she turned and walked from the room, leaving Lily feeling a little stunned but still, somehow, more at peace.

---

They were sitting at a table in the library, studying for Transfiguration, when the Snitch again made an appearance.

They were all sitting together, but no one was really talking; at one end, Remus was demonstrating wand movements for Peter while Sirius, having been convinced to open a book, was nose-deep, looking fascinated.

Lily, frowning as she flipped through her Herbology book, was becoming slowly distracted by James. He seemed to be distracted himself; he was looking around the library nervously, muttering under his breath, and every once in a while, his hand would jump to his pocket. After ten or so minutes of this, Lily set down her quill, twisted towards him, and said, –James, what is it, precisely, that you’re doing?”

Startled, he looked up at her, blinking guiltily, his hands going slack at his side, and in his moment of distraction, the Golden Snitch flew out of his pocket. He swore and grabbed for it, but it darted out of his reach to hover beside Lily’s cheek.

James cast a fleeting look around the library, but their altercation did not seem to have attracted much attention. Even at their own table, Remus and Peter remained completely absorbed in their low conversation, while Sirius serenely turned a page of his book.

–Grab it!” James hissed at Lily, his eyes on the Snitch. It was so close to her face that she could feel the air vibrate as its wings worked. Gingerly, she reached a hand up towards it, expecting it to zip away again, but much to her surprise, it whirred softly forward and dropped into her hand.

–No fair,” James grumbled. –It likes you better.”

She grinned at him. –Not much of a Seeker, are you?” she teased.

–I handle bigger balls!” James protested.

Across the table, Sirius snorted loudly. They both looked at him, having been unaware that he was listening. –What?” he said unapologetically.

Lily closed her fingers around the Snitch, liking the weight of it in her palm. –What’s going on with this thing?” she asked.

James shrugged. –I don’t know, it’s been going haywire lately,” he said. –Trying to get out of the drawer, rattling everything, scaring Jinx…I just figured I’d bring it with me, but now it’s acting up here as well.”

–It’s probably,” Sirius said, sticking his quill in his book to mark the page, –just the flesh memory.”

Both Lily and James turned quizzically towards him. –The what?” Lily asked, suppressing a laugh, while at the same time, James tilted his head.

–Isn’t that a Seeker thing?” he asked.

–No, it’s a Snitch thing,” Sirius said patiently.

–And since when do you know Quidditch terms anyway?” James said, furrowing his brow.

Sirius sighed. –I don’t, really,” he said. –But my stupid brother is Seeker on the Slytherin team, you know, and he’s a right pompous little twerp, dryer than his broomstick. I was still living at home when he became Seeker and over the holidays he bored us all silly--well, me anyway--with the dullest, most obscure Quidditch facts ever.”

–Including flesh memory,” James nodded.

–Including flesh memory,” Sirius agreed.

Lily looked back and forth between the two of them as the Snitch hummed in her hand. –But what is flesh memory?” she asked.

–It’s a thing Snitches have,” Sirius waved a hand at her. –No one, not even the maker, touches a Snitch with bare hands, only the Seekers do that. It’s in case the result of a match is contested or a Seeker fumbles or two of them get there at the same time. But basically, it means the Snitch remembers who has touched it.”

Lily felt a sudden chill down her spine, and she tightened her fingers around the small golden ball in her hand.

–There’s a lot of magic that goes into a Snitch,” Sirius continued, rather warmly for someone who claimed to have found the subject dull. –And people don’t tend to keep them. I don’t know what would happen if that flesh memory charm was extended--I mean, you were the first person to touch it, Lily, that might have something to do with why it still hangs around.”

–We practically grabbed it at the same time,” James said sullenly.

–That’s flesh memory for you,” Sirius said, grinning wickedly. –I just think it’s funny that you have that thing in the library, especially when there are still all those rumors about it from October.”

–Are there really?” Lily asked curiously.

–Oh, yeah,” said Sirius. –Just the other day I heard a couple of second years talking about how they thought they saw it zoom into the Great Hall with the post owls. As far as everyone else knows, it could be…could be anywhere…”

His eyes had suddenly glazed over, and a slow grin was beginning to unfurl on his face.

–Hit me with it,” James said, looking at him closely.

–With what?” Sirius asked innocently.

–Whatever harebrained thought you just had,” James said, but he was smiling.

–Oh,” Sirius said. –Oh, I think I just figured out what our last, great prank is going to be.”

He stared dramatically off over their heads.

James and Lily exchanged a glance. Then, a beat later, Lily asked, –Well? Are you going to tell us?”

He told them.

For a moment, they just started at him. Then Lily shook her head. –You will never pull that off,” she said. –Not in the amount of time we have left, not with exams!”

But James’s whole face had lit up. –No,” he said. –No, it needs a lot of planning, but I think we can make it work,” he said. –It’s just…I mean, with everything that has happened, and of course with exams and everything…are you sure that now’s the best time for this, Padfoot?”

–Of course it is,” Sirius said. –But even if it wasn’t, it’s the only time we have left, isn’t it?”

Lily shuddered. –I get so wrapped up in studying for exams,” she said, –that I forget we won’t be here anymore after they’re over.”

–All the more reason to go out with a bang,” Sirius said bracingly. He caught James’s eye and said, more quietly, –We can do this.”

James looked back at him for a long moment and then seemed to come to a sudden decision. Decisively, he slammed his book shut, making Lily jump. At the other end of the table, Remus blinked blearily up at them, but said nothing.

–Let’s go fly,” James said, almost feverishly.

–What?” yelped Lily. –You can’t seriously be--exams are less than a week away!”

Sirius, who looked as suddenly restless as James, said, –Ah, come off it Lily, we take exams every year and they aren’t ever as bad as we think they’ll be.”

–But…but,” Lily protested, –these aren’t normal exams, they’re N.E.W.T.s! Remember O.W.L.s? These will be worse.”

–Oh, I don’t know,” James said, glancing at Sirius. –I don’t remember O.W.L.s being that bad, actually.”

–Besides,” Sirius added, –We’ve got our O.W.L.s, and we know what we’re doing next year--we’re working for Dumbledore! Who needs N.E.W.T.s for that?”

Lily looked at them both, dumbfounded.

–Aw, Lil,” James said, ruffling her hair as he stood. –Don’t look so worried. We can study while we fly.”

Sirius, who had risen to his feet as well, tossed his book aside and cast a look over the bent heads of studying students. –Merlin,” he muttered. –I hate the library.”

Then he and James again caught each other’s eyes, and without another word but with twin expressions of glee on their faces, they bolted from the library. A few heads turned as they ran past, but most people were so engrossed in their studying that they didn’t look up.

–Have a nice time,” Remus said vaguely from the end of the table, once again absorbed in his book.

Resisting the urge to roll her eyes, Lily gathered her own books and left the library as well, albeit at a much slower pace.

---

To Lily’s everlasting surprise, the Quidditch pitch turned out to be a most effective study place. Spring had well and truly arrived, and the sun was almost aggressive in its persistence. Away from the desperation that lingered in the library, as it always did during exam time, Lily was able to spread across the stands, her quill in her mouth as she pored over lists of Potions ingredients and practiced Transfiguration wand movements. Above her, James and Sirius swooped across the sky, calling out the definitions of Charms spells to each other. Sometimes, Mary Macdonald or Alice Rourke would join Lily in the stands to study, and once she and Remus spent an entire afternoon beneath the stands, brewing potions over a fire he had conjured.

She was alone, however, on the afternoon before the exams were set to begin. Down on the Quidditch pitch, James and Sirius had abandoned their brooms and were having a mock duel--practice, they had told her, for the Defense Against the Dark Arts practical, although she suspected they just liked cursing each other. Lily was reading the definition of a Conjuring Spell for what felt like the thousandth time when she became aware that she was not, perhaps, as alone as she had thought.

It was a quick movement off to her side that caught her eye, like the twitch of a cloak. She glanced over to see an angular, black-haired Slytherin sitting several rows away from her, watching James and Sirius intently. For one bewildering moment, she thought he was Severus, but when she looked more closely, she saw that this was a different boy, at least several years too young. Still, though, he looked familiar. She squinted at him, and as though he felt her gaze, he turned suddenly to face her, and she recognized him.

Lily hadn’t had many encounters with Sirius’s brother; the only time she had seen him, really, had been during his conversation with Sirius in the Great Hall so many months ago. But as Regulus Black looked at her now, she couldn’t believe she hadn’t recognized him instantly. He was not, by any means, Sirius’s lookalike--Regulus was smaller and somewhat less attractive, although Lily would never admit that to Sirius--but the family resemblance was striking, especially around the eyes.

Lily expected Regulus to sneer and turn away, the standard Slytherin-and-Gryffindor interaction. To her surprise, however, he stood and walked down the rows before depositing himself into a seat just two away from hers.

–That’s my broom he’s got,” Regulus said, nodding towards Sirius who, having swung a leg over the broomstick once more, was now flying in mad circles around the Quidditch pitch while James chased him on foot, shooting spells wildly and laughing. –And he can’t fly it worth a damn.”

Even Lily, who didn’t know much about Quidditch, could admit that this was true; Sirius was zigzagging spectacularly across the field, and slipping off one side of the broom.

–I’ve seen better flyers,” she said noncommittally. –Nice of you to let him borrow it.”

Regulus snorted. –Hardly,” he said. –He must’ve stolen it out of the broom shed. I didn’t even know he had it. He takes everything without asking.”

Lily grinned despite herself, feeling a sudden younger-sibling kinship. –Yeah,” she said. –My older sister used to take my stuff all the time.”

Regulus looked sideway at her, with a shrewdness that seemed beyond his years. –You’re Lily, aren’t you?” he said, and she nodded. –I’ve heard all about you.”

–From Sirius?” Lily asked, curiosity getting the better of her.

Regulus snorted again. –Definitely not,” he said scornfully, but did not elaborate.

Not quite sure how to respond to this, Lily said nothing. Unbothered, Regulus leaned forward, his chin in his hands, watching as James, who had now mounted his own broom, crouched low against the handle, overtaking Sirius easily. Whooping, he looped lightly through the air, and Lily smiled.

–Now that one, he can fly, although I’m sure you know that,” Regulus said approvingly. –I know I’m supposed to hate him, since he’s James Potter and everything, but I have to have at least a little respect for a man who can fly like that.”

–You’re the Slytherin Seeker, aren’t you?” Lily said.

Regulus looked over at her again. –So you’ve heard of me, too,” he said.

Lily was spared responding to this by the sudden arrival of James and Sirius. They skidded into the stands on either side of Lily, James leaping lightly off his broom at her side. Sirius tumbled off his a bit less gracefully, turning towards his brother.

–Hi, Reg,” he said. –You got my note?”

–No,” said Regulus, sounding bored. –I came out here for my own entertainment. And that,” he reached out and snatched the broomstick from Sirius’s hand, –is mine.”

–Oh,” Sirius said. –Right. Sorry. You mind?”

Regulus merely rolled his eyes. –So?” he said after a moment. –I’m here because?”

–Well,” Sirius said, sweeping his hair out of his eyes and grinning, –I need your help.”

–This should be good,” Regulus muttered.

Lily turned towards James, who was rubbing at a spot on his broom handle and paying the brothers no mind. –Do you know what’s going on?” she asked him in an undertone. –Is this about the prank that Sirius wants to do?”

James looked at her and nodded. –We’re still hammering out the details and everything,” he said, –but the fact of the matter is, if this prank is going to work, we’re going to need a little help from the Slytherins. And Regulus is our best connection.”

–It’s going to be a miracle if we pull this off,” Lily said.

–We?” James grinned.

–Oh, hell,” Lily said, closing her Transfiguration book emphatically. –You didn’t really think you’d do this without me, did you?”

His grin broadening, James leaned forward and kissed her on the forehead. –I love you,” he said.

–You’d better,” she teased, –since I’m letting you distract me this much from studying.”

As suddenly and as excitedly as he did anything, James leapt to his feet, pulling her with him. Before she realized what was happening, his broomstick was in her hands.

–Come on,” he said. –Those two will be bickering for awhile. Take a study break. Come fly with me.”

Warily, she eyed the broom. –What, exactly,” she asked him, –do you think I’m going to say to this?”

–I,” James said, –think you’re going to complain about it, and then you’re going to get on that broom to prove a point. Besides, you really should get more comfortable up there.”

Lily scowled at him, and he laughed. –There’s only the one broom,” she felt obliged to point out.

–You can take mine.”

They both turned in surprise as Regulus spoke. Not looking at either of them, seeming engaged in his conversation with Sirius, he tossed his broom at James, who caught it, looking startled.

–Well,” James said after a minute, –that solves that problem.” And he hopped onto the broomstick and pushed off into the sky.

For a second, Lily watched him, feeling a strange prick of envy as he spiraled effortlessly through the air. It looked easy when he did it, it looked wonderful—if only she could set aside her fear of heights.

–Coming?”

James, realizing she was not with him, had looped back, and was now hovering a few feet in front of her. Suddenly determined--as he had known she would be--Lily swung a leg over the broom she was holding and met his gaze.

–I guess I am,” she said, and pushed off into the air.