Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

While You Tell Me Stories by Dawnie

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
He had no idea why he was here.

The large hall was lavish and extravagant. The floor was white and black marble, and a long green rug ran from the doorway at the back of the hall towards the elevated platform near the front. The seats were covered in cushions of green fabric with silver embroidery. There were blue and bronze drapes hanging along the walls because, of course, Ravenclaw House wasn’t as despised as Hufflepuff or Gryffindor, and their colors were allowed. The chandeliers were made from silver, platinum, and white gold, and were magically suspended in midair, floating above the rows of chairs. Garlands of white flowers cascaded from the platform and spilled onto the marble floor near the first row of chairs.

–Lilies,” an old, wizened woman whispered as she bent over to inspect them. –A symbol of purity.”

Sirius smirked slightly at that, and made a mental note to mention this to Evans the next time he saw her. He knew it was slightly petty to go out of his way to say things that he knew would annoy her - such as, Hey, Evans, did you know your name means pure and chaste? or Guess what, Evans? Your namesake was the flower of choice at a pureblood wedding - but he had spent the better part of four years listening to his best mate drone on and on about the wonderfulness that was Lily Evans, and it annoyed him.

But it didn’t annoy him nearly as much as the fact that he was standing in a wedding hall, prepared to sit through at least an hour of torture as he watched Narcissa Black and Lucius Malfoy get married.

He still wasn’t sure why he had come. His mother had sent a threatening Howler, and it was the first communication of any kind he had received since she had disowned him and blasted his name off the family tree.

That wasn’t the reason he had come, though. His mother’s opinion of him meant nothing, and he had no desire to reconcile with her or any of the family. He knew Andromeda wouldn’t be there, and since his Uncle Alphard’s death, there wasn’t anyone else at the family he wanted to see.

Except Regulus.

Regulus was still his brother, and that mattered, even if he desperately wished it didn’t.

He scanned the hall. His mother and father were standing near his Uncle Cygnus. Aunt Druella didn’t appear to be in the hall yet, so no doubt she was helping Narcissa prepare. It was probably for the best, as Sirius wasn’t sure he could refrain from hexing her. She was, in his opinion, the worst of the family, though Bellatrix was turning out to be just a bad as her mother.

–You came.”

Sirius turned around to see Regulus standing there, wearing in elegant green dress robes and a look of surprise. Eliza Greengrass stood next to him, resting a hand lightly on his arm. Her blonde hair was swept out of her face into a complicated knot, and she was wearing a dress that closely matched the color of Regulus’ robes.

Sirius wondered vaguely if they had bought the outfits together. Or had his mother bought both of them? No doubt she was pushing this match. The Greengrasses were a respected family, and Eliza certainly upheld the pureblood ideals.

–I did come,” Sirius agreed quietly.

–And without a date,” Eliza said, smirking coolly.

–I’m not Regulus,” Sirius retorted. –I’m not willing to settle for someone subpar.”

Two splotches of color appeared on Eliza’s cheeks as she took a step forward. –Why you little…” she started, but Regulus caught her arm.

–Stop it,” he said hoarsely. –Both of you. Just stop.” Sirius looked at his brother in surprise, and Regulus continued, –It’s Cissy’s wedding day. Let’s not ruin it with fighting.”

Sirius snorted. He would have been impressed at his brother’s rather mature actions had he actually believed that Regulus meant what he said. But no doubt it was merely a warning from Druella and Cygnus to avoid fighting that was keeping Regulus in line.

Eliza nodded slowly and stepped back. –Very well,” she said, inclining her head in Regulus’ direction. Her eyes were still on Sirius as she added in a sickeningly sweet tone, –It’s too bad that you weren’t able to find a girl who would come with you, though. Did you ask Evans? She seems like the kind of filth you spent time with.”

–Evans?” Sirius repeated. –What does she have to do with anything?”

–Well, I just assumed she would have free time,” Eliza said, –given that she is so close to failing out of her potions program.” She lowered her voice and said in a icy whisper, –The Mudbloods never do get that far.”

It took Sirius a moment to work out what she was saying, then he said with dawning realization, –You’re in the same advanced studies program as Evans.” He folded his arms over his chest. –I sincerely doubt she is failing. She was a better potioneer than you ever were, I remember that much.”

–That was at Hogwarts,” Eliza cooed. –This is the real world.” She turned to Regulus. –Come on, Reg. Let’s find someone better to talk to.”

Regulus gave Sirius a long look, and there was something in his gaze that Sirius couldn’t decipher. But then he merely nodded and allowed Eliza to lead him away.

Sirius clenched his hands into fists.

Maybe he wouldn’t mention anything about the lilies to Evans after all.

He turned determinedly away from his brother and Eliza and glanced around again. It seemed as though every noteworthy pureblood family was here. The Rosiers, Averys, Malfoys, Lestranges, Crouches, Crabbes, Prewetts, Longbottoms… but the McKinnons and the Potters were conspicuously absent. Sirius wondered vaguely if they had been invited and neglected to come, or if they had not even been invited.

James hadn’t mentioned anything, but he and Sirius rarely spoke about Sirius’ family, so perhaps he hadn’t mentioned anything to avoid upsetting his friend.

–Ah, the prodigal son,” a wheezing voice said, and Sirius turned towards the older woman approaching him.

–Aunt Lucretia,” he said flatly. –How nice to see you.”

–Don’t take that tone with me, boy,” she snapped. She was only in her fifties, but she looked so much older. She had always looked so much older than her actual age, in part because her hair had gone prematurely gray before Sirius was even born, and she had never bothered to change it. She was also deaf in one ear and spoke with a wheeze.

–What tone?” Sirius said sarcastically.

Lucretia glared at him. –You’re lucky your mother and father even let you come to this wedding,” she spat. –If I had my way…”

–Let me?” Sirius sneered. –Do you really think I want to be here?”

–Then why are you here?” Lucretia demanded.

Sirius frowned. –I have no idea,” he replied in what sounded quite a bit like a growl. –But it certainly isn’t out of any desire to wish Narcissa and that insufferable arse she’s marrying.”

–You watch your language!” Lucretia wheezed, her eyes growing wide. One hand moved to her chest, and for a moment Sirius thought he might have given her a heart attack. But the other hand drew her wand from within the folds of her dress robes, and she pointed it at him threateningly.

He eyed the wand warily and slid his own hand into his pocket to retrieve his wand in case they suddenly started dueling.

–Lucretia! It is good to see you, sister.”

Lucretia and Sirius both turned - one with an expression of satisfaction and the other an expression of disgust - to face the balding wizard who was quickly wrapping an arm around his sister and guiding her away from Sirius.

–Orion,” Lucretia said, –I was just having words with your son.”

–I hope he hasn’t said anything to offend you,” Orion said, giving Sirius a look of utter loathing.

–He’s an ungrateful wretch,” Lucretia said harshly. –He shouldn’t even be here. He doesn’t belong in our society.”

–Indeed,” Orion agreed, stilling leading Lucretia away. –But Walburga wanted to give him one more chance. You know how hard it is for a mother to turn away from her son.”

–Oh, I don’t think Mum had any problem with that,” Sirius snapped.

Orion spun around to face Sirius. –You were only invited here because of your mother’s goodwill,” he said fiercely. –She wants to give you another chance to…”

–I don’t want another chance,” Sirius interrupted, eyes blazing. –I don’t want anything from any of you.”

–We put a roof over your head. We fed you and clothed you and sent you to Hogwarts, expecting you to make us proud!” Orion snarled. –And this is how you repay us? By bringing shame to this family? You are a disgrace!”

The hall had gone quiet. All eyes were now focused on Sirius and Orion. Sirius could see his mother moving towards them, her face red with fury and embarrassment. Regulus had disappeared into the crowd again, although Eliza was easily visible standing near the raised platform, smirking coolly. Druella had joined Cygnus, and neither looked pleased by the commotion.

After all, it was their daughter’s big day.

–I have no idea how you turned out like this after all the effort your mother and I put into raising you the right way,” Orion said.

–The right way?” Sirius questioned mockingly. –Is that what you call this?”

–We gave you plenty of opportunities to speak to Dumbledore and be reassigned to Slytherin,” his mother said, joining his father and looking down at him with a severe gaze. –But you didn’t. We have tried to be civil and understanding, but this has gone too far. Look at Regulus. He has the right sort of friends.”

–I don’t think the his friends are the right sort,” Sirius said sourly. –And don’t pretend you care about me.”

–If we didn’t care about you, why would you give another chance to leave your Muggle-loving friends and the other filth you socialize with?”

Sirius wasn’t sure if the second insult was a comment about Remus. He doubted anyone here knew Remus’ status as a werewolf - how could they? - but he was still touchy on the subject. It was people like his parents and the rest of his family that made it so difficult for Remus to find a decent job.

–You don’t care about me,” he said in a low hiss, unable to keep the venom and disgust out of his voice. –You just don’t want to be embarrassed in front of your friends. You don’t want everyone to know that you still have one son you can’t bully into doing what you wanted. You don’t want people to think your blood is getting dirty. Toujours Pur and all that rubbish.”

He saw the movement, but didn’t register what it was until he felt the sharp pain on his cheek. A Stinging Hex.

His mother was holding her wand out, and her grip on the thin piece of wood was so tight that her knuckles had turned white. Sirius lifted his hand to his face, gently resting the tips of his fingers on the welt he knew would be forming. He held his mother’s gaze for a single, silent moment, then turned on his heel and strode out of the hall.

–If you leave now, don’t you ever come back!” he heard his mother scream after him.

He paused in the doorway and looked at her coldly. –I shouldn’t have come in the first place,” he said, and then turned away from the families gathered behind him.

Regulus caught up with him as he stepped into the fresh air of outside and took a deep breath. It was a wonderful thing, he decided, to be out of the stagnant and musty air that seemed to always hover around his family. It was less wonderful, however, to have to deal with Regulus right now.

The younger Black sibling blocked Sirius’ path and said, –You couldn’t even last ten minutes. Couldn’t be civil.”

–Civil?” Sirius muttered in disbelief. –Mum hexed me.”

Regulus narrowed his eyes, but he look definitely uneasy. Still, he said callously, –It is your own fault, given the way you were speaking to her. Did you really have to pick a fight with Aunt Lucretia? Couldn’t you just swallow your bloody pride for…”

–My pride?” Sirius interrupted hotly. –What about the rest of you? Do you really think it isn’t anything but misplaced pride and arrogance that makes you think you’re so much better than everyone else?”

–I think it is centuries of traditions, customs, and pure blood that makes us better than the muck you run around with,” Regulus retorted.

Sirius shook his head sadly. –It was bad enough when it was just our parents influencing you. But now that you’ve got that Greengrass girl to tell you what to do, too… Merlin, Reg, I don’t even know you anymore,” he said, his tone filled with bitterness and regret.

Regulus stared at him for a long moment, then said, –Maybe you never did.”



–You’re stalking, Prongs.”

–I’m not stalking, per se. I just happen to be in the same place as Evans and Dearborn, and I can’t help it if they are being so loud that I notice them.”

Sirius rolled his eyes but didn’t bother arguing the point. He was still fuming from his disastrous attempt at attending Narcissa’s wedding, and didn’t have the energy or patience to point out to James that, regardless of what he called it, he really was stalking Evans.

Of course, in James’ defense, he hadn’t followed Evans to Diagon Alley. He and Sirius had already been there, eating ice cream at Florean Fortescue’s ice cream parlor when James had caught sight of Evans entering Sugarplum’s Sweets Shop and had deiced to follow them.

Sirius narrowed his eyes at James and watched as his best friend stared at the redhead. To anyone else, it might have been creepy, but James was practically his brother, and he recognized that look in his friend’s hazel eyes. It wasn’t obsession; it was love.

He sighed.

–I just don’t like that Reg is dating this Greengrass witch,” he muttered under his breath, following James through the crowded shop. He had never been a fan of this particular confectioners store, but Evans and Dearborn both seemed to be having a good time, and that had clearly put James in a foul mood.

–You could always hex her,” James suggested distractedly.

Sirius rolled his eyes again. –Don’t think I haven’t considered that,” he said darkly. –And it would give me a certain amount of pleasure, I’ll grant you that. But I don’t think it will help Reg any. She’ll sob about how horrible I am and he’ll just get even more tangled in her web.”

Evans bent down to inspect an assortment of brightly colored sugar quills. Dearborn said something to her, and she grinned in response.

–What does she see in him?” James demanded.

It wasn’t the first time James had asked that question, and it wouldn’t be the last.

Sirius frowned. –Did you listen to anything I just said?” he demanded.

James looked at him. –You don’t like Greengrass. Eliza, right? Or is it her sister that your brother is dating?”

–No, it’s Eliza,” Sirius grumbled. –Which is too bad, because Calliope is actually tolerable. Sort of. Well, she’s better than her sister, anyway.” He ran a hand through his hair and then let it flop lazily into his eyes again. –You should have seen her, Prongs. She was watching everything with… with glee. She was ecstatic that my parents were disowning me again. It’s like she had no regard at all for my family or…”

At this point, James said pointedly, –I thought they weren’t your family anymore?”

Sirius frowned. –You’re right,” he said determinedly. –They’re not. They don’t matter, and I’m glad I brought shame onto all of them by refusing to be their good little boy. I’ve had enough of them.”

Which still didn’t adequately explain why he had gone to the wedding in the first place, or why that final argument with Regulus still bothered him. But he wasn’t going to think about it. He was done with them, all of them.

His brother included.

He narrowed his eyes. –And if Reg wants to get himself involved with that… that viper… then fine.”

James considered him silently for a moment, then turned his attention back to Evans and Dearborn. Sirius was pretty sure that James didn’t believe his last statement, and he supposed he couldn’t blame the other wizard; he didn’t really believe it, either.

He suddenly caught a few words of Evans’ conversation, and his argument with his family was forgotten as he, like James, focused on the redhead.

–…still frustrating. I mean, I know Remus and I were never really close, but I thought we were at least friendly. And now he won’t tell me anything.”

–Maybe his pride won’t let him,” Dearborn suggested, draping an arm lazily over Lily’s shoulders. –Some people just can’t accept help, even if you want to offer it.”

–Bloody wanker,” James muttered under his breath, and Sirius wasn’t sure if the insult was because of Dearborn’s comment about Remus or because of the way he was touching Evans.

Evans chewed her lip. –I think it is more than that,” she said quietly, but didn’t elaborate when Dearborn gave her a questioning look. Instead, she said, –Maybe you’re right, though. Maybe he can’t accept help. Doesn’t mean I can’t help him, though. I just have to do it secretly.”

Dearborn laughed. –How are you going to manage that? You can’t secretly get him a new job.”

Evans smiled. –I have an idea,” she answered enigmatically, but again, said nothing else even with Dearborn clearly waiting for her to explain.

They only stayed for a few more minutes, then Dearborn said something to Evans, kissed her quickly - which made James’ eyes flash dangerously - and left the sweet shop. Evans remained behind, still staring at the sugar quills.

James started walking towards her.

Sirius caught his arm. –Prongs, what are you doing?” he demanded.

–I’m just going to talk to her,” James said, shaking his arm loose. –Relax, Padfoot.”

–I’m not sure that is such a good idea,” Sirius said hesitantly. –I’ve seen you try to talk to Evans. It never ends well.”

–Oh, bugger off,” James retorted. –You’re starting to sound like Moony.”

And he walked determinedly over to Evans.

–Evans,” James greeted, leaning against the counter, –picking out a sugar quill?”

The smile that had graced her features during the date with Dearborn faded slightly, and her eyes took on a guarded look as she replied, –Potter. What are you doing here?”

–Just fancied a treat,” James replied, gesturing around him to the shelves filled with confections. –Saw you with Dearborn. On a date?”

–Yes,” she answered simply.

James ruffled his hair, messing it up, and gave a cocky grin, –Bit boring, isn’t he? No fun at all.”

–Actually,” Evans replied coldly, her eyes glittering with a strange anger, –I was having quite a bit of fun with him.”

–Then why did he run out of here and leave you on your own?” James asked.

Evans frowned. –He had to get back to the Ministry.”

–It’s Saturday,” Sirius said, slightly puzzled. He was watching Evans intently. She had reacted to James’ words with a level of sourness and defensiveness that he didn’t usually see, and he wondered vaguely what that meant.

–Yes, I know that, Black,” Evans said, glancing disdainfully in Sirius’ direction. –But they’ve given him a lot of responsibility, so he works a bit on weekends.”

–We’ve only been out of Hogwarts for barely two weeks,” James protested.

Evans stared at him. –Yes,” she said dryly, –but some people are actually trying to do things with their lives instead of goofing off and playing stupid pranks.”

–I’m planning on trying out for Wimbourne Wasps,” James said quickly, messing up his hair again.

–Ah, yes… Quidditch,” Evans said coolly, sarcastically. –It’s good you’re putting your considerable talents to something so useful.”

James perked up. –You think I have considerable talents?”

Evans rolled her eyes. –Goodbye, Potter, Black,” she said, nodding her head at both of them before pushing her way through the crowded shop towards the door.

–Hey, Evans, wait!” Sirius called out.

She paused and looked back expectantly, –Yes?”

–Whatever you’re thinking of doing for Remus… don’t,” Sirius said. James looked at him, startled, but then nodded in agreement. Evans had no idea what she was getting into with this, and he didn’t want her to do anything that could jeopardize what little privacy Remus had.

–You were eavesdropping on my conversation?” Evans demanded incredulously. –How long were you two stalking Caradoc and I?”

–We weren’t stalking,” James protested. –We just heard you mention Remus, and he’s our friend, so we wanted to know what you were saying about him.”

–And you don’t want me to help your friend?” Evans asked curiously.

–Just leave him alone, Evans,” Sirius said. –You’re interfering can’t do any good.”

–You don’t know that,” Evans replied.

–And you don’t know what you’re dealing with!” Sirius snapped angrily.

Evans regarded him without any expression in her eyes, and it made Sirius a little uneasy to be unable to tell what she was thinking or how she was reacting to his comment. –Goodbye, Black,” she said finally, and walked out of the store.

–Interfering know-it-all,” Sirius muttered under his breath.



Lily dropped the pile of books onto the kitchen table of her flat and called out, –Mary? Are you here?”

–I’m here,” Mary called back, and then appeared in the kitchen a moment later. She looked at the books Lily had deposited on the table, and her eyebrows rose. –Decided to get a little light reading done?” she asked sardonically.

Lily laughed and shook her head. –It’s for my program,” she replied. –I picked them up on my way back home from Diagon Alley.”

–Ah, yes. On the date with Caradoc,” Mary said, lips curving into a smirk. –And how was it?”

–The date?” Lily flushed. –It was fun,” she said. –We just wandered around, talking.” Her expression darkened as she added, –Then Potter and Black showed up after Caradoc had left. They tried to talk to me.”

–They tried to talk to you?” Mary repeated in mock outrage. –Really? How horrible!”

Lily frowned. She knew her statement had sounded ridiculous, but with James, talking was never merely a pleasant conversation. She pulled out a chair and sat down, resting her elbows on the table, and said, –You know what he’s like. He was so… arrogant. He kept messing up his hair. He called Caradoc boring!”

–Is he?” Mary asked.

–Is he what? Boring?” Lily clarified. When Mary nodded, she said firmly, –Of course not. He’s good and sweet and kind and smart and…” Lily trailed off and didn’t finish the statement, and Mary watched her intently.

Caradoc was all of those things. And she liked him, a lot. He had gone into the Ministry right after Hogwarts, he took care of his family and watched out for his irresponsible brother, and he was dependable and stable. He was kind, and he was a good listener. He gave the impression of actually caring about everything she said, and he seemed to genuinely want to help her whenever she grew frustrated with anything.

Besides, his reaction to the way that the bookstore owner had treated Remus had clearly indicated just how little tolerance he had for bullying.

So why did James’ words bother her so much? Why had his comment about Caradoc being boring gotten under her skin? Usually she was able to simply brush off whatever he said. In fact, the last time something he had done had upset her this much was back at the end of fifth year, after OWLS, and it hadn’t been entirely his fault that the confrontation with Severus had ended so badly for her.

But he had called Caradoc boring and…

She forced herself to stop thinking about it. She didn’t want to follow that train of thought to its conclusion, because she was fairly certain she knew where it would lead, and she didn’t want to think about that right now. She was happy, so why sabotage anything?

–So when I asked you about the date, why did you immediately start talking about James?” Mary asked softly.
Lily raised an eyebrow and said with a huff, –He just annoys me. But you’re right, let’s not talk about him. Caradoc is a much more pleasant subject.”

–Is he now?” Mary prompted. –Have you two snogged?”

Lily felt the heat rush to her face and knew she was turning bright red.

–You did!” Mary said gleefully. She dropped into the seat across from Lily. –Was he good?”

Lily turned, if possible, even more red. –Yes,” she said quietly. –He was… he was really good.”

Mary smirked. –And?”

–And what?” Lily asked, brow furrowed.

–And what else did you do?”

–We just snogged, Mary! And even if we had done anything else, I wouldn’t tell you about it!”

This time Mary laughed outright. –I meant, what else did you do in Diagon Alley?”

–Oh,” Lily said, mortified. She took a moment to gather her composure again, then said, –Um… we went into Flourish and Blotts…”

–A bookstore. Why am I not surprised that that would be a part of your date? But didn’t you go to one on your last date, too?”

–…and one of those Quidditch stores, I can’t remember which. Caradoc wanted to look at the new Silver Arrow,” Lily continued, ignoring Mary’s statement. –And Sugarplum’s Sweets Shop. And we had tea at this wretched new place called Teas and Tinctures. Don’t go there. It was just terrible.”

–And then you decided to check out an entire library,” Mary said, gesturing to the books on the table.

Lily smiled happily. –I think I know what potion I want to study. Everyone else in the class is so passionate about whatever they are working on, and I originally thought that there just wasn’t anything I cared about that much. But then I realized that I was wrong; there is something that matters to me enough to focus on it for as long as is needed. The potion is only in its beginning stages at the moment, and the wizard working on it - Damocles Belby - is still mostly doing theory.”

Mary picked up one of the books. –Conversion Through Concoctions,” she read. –Alchemy?” she guessed, turning to Lily for confirmation.

–Not quite,” Lily replied. –More along the lines of transformations.”

Mary glanced at two more book titles. –Psyche and Psychosis. Viva la Besia?” She frowned at the second book. –This is all in Old English.”

–Most of the theory I need for this is very old,” Lily replied. –I’m just lucky I could find this one. A lot of the books are in Greek or Arabic, or even hieroglyphs. It’s going to be a lot of work.”

–You’re the only one I know who could say that and sound so excited about it,” Mary said, shaking her head. She rose to her feet. –Well, enjoy your studying. I, for one, am going to avoid reading anything in Old English until I absolutely have to. Which will hopefully be never.”

Lily watched as Mary left the kitchen, then looked at the books in front of her. She knew that James had told her to stop whatever she was doing, but she couldn’t figure out how her plans could backfire. Besides, James was an idiot if he thought she didn’t know exactly what was going on with Remus. Honestly, did he think he was the only one who ever looked at a lunar calendar and figured things out?

She pulled out the last book in the pile. It was the smallest, with only a few pages, and as far as she knew, it was the only book published about the possibility of this potion. The idea had been talked about, of course. It had been talked about for centuries, and most of the talk had focused on the necessity of basing the potion around aconite. But no one had gotten any further than basic theory.

She hoped to change that.

She stared at the title of the book for a moment.

Wolfsbane.