Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

While You Tell Me Stories by Dawnie

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The Wimbourne Wasps did not look like the fearsome team James knew they were. The two witches on the team - Seeker Carlotta Prewitt and Keeper Daphne Dumare - were both short and thin and just all around small. Prewitt had long blonde hair that was currently cascading over her shoulders and down her back, and was batting dark eyelashes at every single wizard around her, a suggestive smirk on her features. Dumare had much shorter hair, and it was pulled up in a ponytail, giving her at least a more sporty appearance than her female teammate. But she was smaller, too. James doubted she even came up to his shoulders.

Another Chaser - Jimmy Wilkinson, who was trying to ignore Prewitt’s blatant attempts to get his attention - and the two Beaters - Glycon Price and Ludo Bagman - were talking in low whispers. They all looked a bit more fierce than their female counterparts, but Wilkinson had a rather oafish expression on his features, and Price and Bagman both burst into laughter at random moments and shoved each other around like six-year-olds.

The captain was the only one who looked even remotely intimidating. Chaser Edgar Shaw was in his mid-thirties and had a thick build, narrow dark eyes, and dark brown hair worn in a very short crew cut. He stood in front of the stands at the Quidditch pitch, surveying everyone who had come to try out for his team. He had a shrewd look in his eyes, as though he was already assessing them before he had even seen them fly.

James looked around at his competition. There were fourteen people. Three witches and eleven wizards. James was by far the youngest, but the oldest didn’t seem to be more than thirty. He recognized one or two from Hogwarts, and remembered vaguely playing against them in various games.

He was going to have some stiff competition.

–Alright, listen up,” Shaw said, clapping his hands together loudly and drawing all attention back to him. –Welcome to the Wimbourne Wasps’ Quidditch tryouts. My name is Edgar Shaw and I am the captain of this team.” His stern gaze swept over all of them. –But I expect you already know that.”

James nodded, and around him, several others did likewise.

–Now, we have one position open on the team,” Shaw continued. –Hespera Sabine had an… unfortunate accident… and will no longer be able to play with us, so we are looking for a Chaser.”

James grinned to himself. Sabine had taken a Bludger to the head in the final match of the season and woken up in St. Mungo’s with no memory of who she was. She had apparently taken that as a sign that she should start her life over with a fresh slate, and within two days of being released from St. Mungo’s, she had run off with the Seeker for Puddlemere United.

There was some speculation that this had been a set up by Shaw. Sabine had been a good Chaser, but not a phenomenal one, and she could be replaced. Puddlemere United’s Seeker was widely accepted as the best England had seen in over a century, and thanks to Sabine, he was no longer playing Quidditch.

Puddlemere United was now no longer considered a shoe-in to win the British and Irish Quidditch League Cup.

–We also have positions open for a reserve Chaser and Beater,” Shaw continued. –Now, as a general rule, I don’t take anyone for a starting position if they haven’t already played reserve on my team. However, since Hespera’s departure was rather unexpected, I have decided to allow all of you to play for the open starting Chaser position. But keep in mind, you will be playing against the reserve Chaser I already have on my team.”

He gestured with one hand, and everyone turned to look at the wizard who seemed to have magically appeared at the edge of the stands. Harold Wilde, the reserve Chaser.

James frowned. He had no doubt that the starting position would go to Wilde. No matter what Shaw said about opening up tryouts to everyone, he would still pick Wilde in the end. The man already knew how to play with the others on the team, and was comfortable with them. No captain in his right mind would trade that in for a newcomer.

But that left two reserve Chaser positions open.

And James was determined to get one of them.

–Alright. Everyone who wants to try out for Beater, go stand next to Bagman and Price. The rest of you, stand up and get your broom.”

A few people wandered over to the two Beaters, but the majority wanted to play Chaser. Or maybe they had simply decided that, since there were two Chaser positions open, they had a greater chance of being picked for one of those than for the Beater position.

James picked up his broom and felt a thrill of excitement run through him.

Shaw looked down at the list of names he was holding in one hand. –Morison, Nickerson, Potter. You three get up in the air. Daphne, you’re playing Keeper. Ludo and…” he consulted his list again for a moment, –Morta, you two are Beaters.” He pointed at Morison, Nickerson, and James. –You three, try to score. Try to work as a team. Daphne will play Keeper against you.” He turned towards Morta. –You try to prevent the three Chasers from scoring. Ludo and Daphne are on your team. I’ll be watching and taking notes. Everyone understand?”

Everyone nodded.

–Well, what are you waiting for?” Shaw demanded. –Fly!”

James didn’t hesitate. He jumped on his broom and took off, feeling the wind whip through his hair. The usual feeling of euphoria filled him as he did a few experimental loops on the broom. Moments later, the other two hopefuls appeared next to him, and then Shaw tossed the Quaffle into the air and released the Bludgers, and the scrimmage was on.

James had played against Morison before. He had been in Slytherin, a couple years ahead of James, and he had been good. He was good, now, too. He caught the Quaffle with ease and started flying towards the goals. He aimed for what should have been an easy goal, but then Dumare was suddenly there, blocking his toss.

Morison cursed, and James dove for the Quaffle.

A Bludger flew by his ear, and he twisted away, losing the Quaffle in the process. He heard Morison yelling something at him - something, he was fairly certain, that wasn’t complementary - and spun around in midair to glare at the Slytherin.

Nickerson caught the Quaffle.

Dumare flew at him, and he tossed it to James. James caught it easily and flew towards the goal, Dumare chasing him. He had no idea how she managed to fly that quickly, but she was abruptly in front of him, cutting him off, and he had to swerve to avoid her.

With Dumare blocking the goal and Bagman sending another Beater his way, James had no choice. He quickly gave up on the idea of scoring himself and tossed the Quaffle to Morison.

Morison knocked it into the goal, then pumped his fist in the air to celebrate scoring.

–Bloody git,” James muttered under his breath.

Down below, Shaw was taking notes.

Nickerson caught the Quaffle and tossed it to James. A Bludger knocked it off course and Morison grabbed it. He turned around to throw it towards the goal, but Morta was in his way. Dumare was hovering in front of two of the goals, but James had an unobstructed path to the one on the right. If Morison passed him the Quaffle now, he could score.

He looked at Morison, who had clearly reached the same conclusion James had, and waited for the inevitable toss of the Quaffle.

It didn’t come.

Instead, Morison executed a very complicated dive-and-twist maneuver that sent him shooting under Morta and narrowly avoiding the Bludger Bagman sent at him. This brought him just level with Dumare. The goal on his right was unblocked, and he feinted that way. Dumare matched him, assuming he was going to take the shot, but he jerked his broom away at the last minute and flung the Quaffle towards the left goal.

He scored.

James’ jaw dropped. That was incredible flying.

Morison pumped his fist in the air again.

Nickerson fumbled the Quaffle, and James caught it. A well placed Bludger from Morta blocked his attempt to score. Another Bludger hit him in the gut and nearly knocked him from his broom. He dropped the Quaffle, but recovered quickly and went darting after it.

So did Morison.

But James was closer, so there was no reason for the other Chaser to even bother. Still, Morison didn’t let up until James had gotten his hands on the ball, and then Morison looked sour.

–We’re on the same bloody team!” James yelled at him before passing the ball to Nickerson. Nickerson took a shot, but Dumare blocked it. Morison caught the rebound and took a shot, but Morta just barely managed to knock a Bludger into its path, and the Quaffle went spinning in the wrong direction.

Morta was good, too.

Nickerson caught the Quaffle and passed it to James, but Dumare intercepted. James snatched it back from her, and Bagman sent a Bludger at him. He dodged the Bludger and tossed the Quaffle to Nickerson. Nickerson tossed it to Morison, who somehow managed to grab it and swing around on his broom to dodge a Bludger at the same time. James started streaking towards the goal posts, knowing that if Morison passed the Quaffle to him now, Dumare wasn’t close enough to prevent the goal.

Morison didn’t pass the Quaffle to him. He took the shot himself, but it was blocked by Bagman.

James swore under his breath. If Morison never passed the Quaffle to him, how was he supposed to show that he was good enough to play on the team?

Nickerson caught the Quaffle and flew towards the goals. Dumare was in his way, so he passed it to James. James caught it and raced towards the middle goal, determined to score, but Dumare caught up with him. He could take the shot, but he’d most likely miss. Morison had a clear path, though…

James cursed inwardly.

It was a bloody team sport. He passed the ball to Morison, and Morison scored.

Shaw called an end to the scrimmage and gestured for everyone to land. The next set of hopefuls rotated to the pitch, and soon the next scrimmage was going.

Morison was grinning as he approached James. He had a reason to be happy, anyone who had seen him fly would know just how good of a player he was. He was going to get one of the reserve spots for sure.

–Tough luck, Potter,” Morison said in a thoroughly unsympathetic tone. –Maybe next time.”

James glowered at him.

The rest of tryouts passed uneventfully. Shaw ran them through a series of drills after the scrimmage, making them pass the Quaffle to each other and take individual shots on the Keeper. James felt that he did much better there, but he wasn’t sure that it would make up for the scrimmage.

Then Shaw called them all to order, and they sat on the benches in the stand once more. –Alright,” he said in a gruff voice, –I have a few notes for each of you. Aevol, you need to improve your speed a bit. Good catching, and you had a few nice goals there, but Daphne flew circles around you. I’m sorry you didn’t make the team this time, but thanks for trying out.”

James zoned out. Shaw’s voice washed over him, but he was too busy feeling frustrated with himself. He knew he’d played well, but he hadn’t played spectacularly. He hadn’t shown just how amazing he was at this sport. He wanted another chance.

He was a Potter, after all. He wasn’t supposed to fail at things.

Then he heard Shaw call Morison’s name, and he looked up reluctantly, not wanting to see the arrogant prat given a spot on the team.

–Morison,” Shaw said, –good flying. Actually, some of the best flying I’ve seen in a new recruit in a very long time.” Morison was smirking at the praise, and the others on the benches around him were grumbling to themselves. They had all seen him fly and they had all watched him pull off a few spectacular moves.

Clearly, James and Morison weren’t the only two who assumed he would get the position.

But Shaw’s expression was somber. –But I don’t want men who are just good fliers,” he continued. –You had two opportunities to pass the Quaffle to Potter, and you didn’t. He had clear shots on the goal, and I know you saw that. Now, you did score one of those times, and I have to admit, the way you got around both Daphne and Morta was impressive. But this is a team sport, and the team is what matters. Not your own personal glory. You didn’t need to pull a stunt like that for the team to score. You only needed to pass to Potter.”

James held his breath. Was Morison really getting lectured on a lack of team sportsmanship?

Morison looked furious.

–I want good fliers,” Shaw finished, –but I need team players. You aren’t one. You didn’t make the team.”

Morison gaped. He opened and closed his mouth several times, unable to come up with a suitable reply to that. But Shaw wasn’t even looking at him. He had been dismissed, and Shaw had moved on to the next name of the list.

–Morta, good job. Nice work with the Bludger. You need practice holding the bat in your left hand instead of relying on your right all the time. You didn’t make the team at this time, but try out again next year. You’ve got talent and promise, I can see that.” He lifted his eyes from the list and looked at Morta. –And these aren’t empty words. I’m not just being nice. I want to see you back next year.”

Morta nodded and smiled.

–Potter.” Shaw looked at him. ”You were in the same year as my baby sister. Lizbeth Shaw. She was in Ravenclaw.”

James nodded. –I know her. We were partnered in Herbology a few times. I think I spilled bubotubor pus on her once.”

Why was he telling Shaw this? Why was he telling anyone this? It hadn’t been one of his finer moments. It hadn’t even been a prank. He’d just been careless and clumsy and Lizbeth had gone to the Hospital Wing with boils all over her hands.

–She told me you were an arrogant prat,” Shaw continued.

–Uh…”

–And you might be one. I don’t have room for arrogance on my team. But I saw your expression when you realized Morison had a clear shot on the goal for that last one. I saw how much you wanted to score. And I saw you pass the Quaffle to him instead.”

James shrugged. –Team sport and all that,” he said.

–I can see you have natural talent. You played well today, but I think you can play better.” He gave Morison a derisive look and added, –If you’re given an actual team - one that plays with you and not just next to you - I think you can do well. And like I said… I need team players. So I’m giving you an actual team and a chance to prove just how good you are.”

James held his breath, not even daring to hope.

–Congratulations, Potter,” Shaw said. –You’ve just made reserve Chaser.”



When Emma approached Lily’s work station with a look of concern on her face, Lily immediately set down the knife she was using to crush ligonberries and waited expectantly for Emma to say what was bothering her.

It took the raven-haired witch a moment to put her thoughts into order, then she said in a low voice, –I saw the books you brought in, Lily. Wolfsbane? Are you really…?” She trailed off for a moment, then shook her head and asked, –Are you really trying to make Wolfsbane potion?”

Lily nodded, not understanding why Emma seemed so upset. –It’s complicated, I know. And the theory isn’t past the beginning stages, so it isn’t like I am hoping to master it over the summer. But if I can make some headway on it, maybe contribute a few potential ingredients…” She paused at Emma’s look of disdain. –What?” she demanded.

–You can’t really think a potion is going to make a werewolf not a monster,” Emma said flatly.

–A werewolf isn’t a monster!” Lily hissed, flushing angrily. –Werewolves are human beings, Emma, that just happen to be afflicted with a curse. It’s no different than being sick.”

Emma rolled her eyes. –Most people, when they’re sick, don’t tear someone else to shreds,” she said sarcastically.

–They can’t help it!” Lily snapped, frowning at her new friend. She was used to hearing this kind of bigotry, but she was surprised that it was coming from someone she liked so well. Emma had seemed to hold much more enlightened views in their previous conversations, and yet now she was spouting anti-werewolf propaganda.

Emma was frowning as well. –The wolf is a monster. You can argue all you want about the person being human, but the wolf is not.”

–So what? Does that mean we shouldn’t try to help them just because once a month they turn into something…”

–Dark and dangerous?” Emma cut in.

Lily was vaguely aware that her argument with Emma had caught the attention of several of the other apprentices, including Eliza and Fenwick. The Slytherin was too far away to hear exactly what Lily and Emma were saying to each other, but Fenwick was close enough, and he had put down his own ingredients in order to listen.

Lily narrowed her eyes at Emma. –I thought you were more open-minded than this,” she said coolly.

–Merlin, Lily, have you ever seen a werewolf?”

Lily folded her arms over her chest. –What if I have?”

Emma studied her for a long moment, then said, –The wolf, Lily. Not the person, the wolf. Have you ever seen a werewolf during a full moon?”

Lily didn’t answer. What was the point? No one saw a werewolf during a full moon. At least, no one saw one and then walked away from the encounter in one piece.

And wasn’t that Emma’s point? That, once a month, a normal person became a monster? That no one could get close to a werewolf without ending up bitten, or worse?

But what if that could be changed?

Lily looked down at the books on her table. –This is the potion I’ve chosen to investigate,” she said firmly, refusing to back down.

Emma shook her head. –Do what you want, Lily. But I’m telling you, this potion hasn’t been invented because it can’t be. A werewolf is a monster. You can’t change that. The best you can do is lock them in a room once a month and then bandage them up once the sun has risen again.”

–Funny,” Lily said viciously, –that sounds like something Eliza Greengrass would say.”

Emma jerked back as though Lily had slapped her. Her eyes widened briefly, and then her expression lost all emotion. She gave Lily one long, blank look, then walked to her own work station.

Lily looked away from Emma and caught Fenwick staring at her. He held her gaze for a beat, then started working on his own potion once more.

They passed the rest of the day in silence.



Alice was literally bouncing with excitement.

She was only just eighteen, and she knew that made her far too young to be thinking so seriously about the future, but she couldn’t help it. She had known from the moment Frank fished the small black box out of his pocket and opened the lid that this was everything she had ever wanted. It was going to be wonderful. Her life was going to perfect.

Now if only she could get Lily to listen to a single word she was saying.

–Lily? Lils?”

The redhead was clearly preoccupied with other thoughts, and normally that wouldn’t have bothered Alice, but this was different. Frank had proposed, and she wanted to share the news with the people closest to her.

–Yes, yes… you went out with Frank,” Lily said distractedly. –Wonderful. Did you have a good time?”

They were sitting in the tiny living room of the flat Lily and Mary shared. But Mary wasn’t there, and that was a little bit discouraging. She, at least, could be counted on to listen to Alice’s tale and squeal excitedly at all the right parts. Instead, it was just Lily, and she was flipping through the pages of one of her potions books, carefully studying the text.

Alice rubbed her eyes. –It was nice, Lily, but that’s not all I said. Frank and I went to this nice little restaurant in Godric’s Hollow and…”

She stopped. Lily clearly wasn’t listening anymore.

–And then we were attacked by dragons and I was carried away to be the hapless bride of the dragon king.”

–That sounds nice,” Lily murmured.

Alice raised an eyebrow. –I escaped, though. Some mermaids carried me across the ocean to Canada. I’m thinking of moving there. Nova Scotia is a very nice place.”

–Yes, yes… it is.”

–Then I shagged Potter.”

Lily’s head snapped up from her book and she looked at Alice with wide eyes. –You did what?”

Alice smirked. –I knew that would get your attention,” she said, laughing. –Any mention of Potter always does.”

Lily looked at a loss for words, but then managed to ask, –You slept with Potter?”

–Of course not,” Alice replied dismissively. –But I’m trying to tell you about the most amazing day of my life, and you’re not even listening.”

Lily sighed. –I’m sorry, Alice,” she said regretfully. –I’m really not trying to ignore you, I’ve just had a frustrating day.”

Alice was instantly concerned. Although Lily had expressed reservations about her ability to succeed in the potions program in the past, she had still been enthusiastic about it. It was a bit disturbing to see her look so distraught now. Leaning forward, Alice asked, –Why? What happened?”

But Lily shook her head. –No. You tell me about your day first, and then I’ll tell you about mine.” She grinned and added, –And I promise to actually listen this time.”

–Frank proposed.”

–He what?” Lily’s expression flashed between dumfounded surprise and girlish excitement, and then she launched herself out of her chair and wrapped her arms around Alice in a tight hug. –Why didn’t you tell me?”

–I’ve been trying to tell you for the past ten minutes,” Alice protested, giggling.

Lily broke the hug and drew back, her face suddenly serious. –You’re eighteen. You are far too young to get married.”

–I know,” Alice agreed. –But I’m in love with Frank, and I have been for the last two years. He’s the one I want to spend the rest of my life with.”

Eighteen was too young. She had her entire life ahead of her, and she hadn’t yet figured out what she wanted to do for a career, so how could she think of settling down and starting a family? That was what her parents had said, too, but then they had smiled and told her how happy they were that she had found someone that she loved.

She looked down at her hand, twisting the silver band on her ring finger. It wasn’t flashy or expensive. It had no diamonds, no emeralds or sapphires. It didn’t look like an engagement ring.

But it was simple and elegant and a significant reminder of how well Frank knew what she did and didn’t like.

She looked up at Lily, and felt as though she was glowing with joy. Being with Frank was fun and easy and comfortable. Why couldn’t everyone in the world be this content with their life?

–I really love him,” she said.

Lily squeezed her shoulder. –I’m happy for you.”

–Thank you,” Alice said, and briefly hugged Lily again. –Now tell me about your problems.”

Lily grimaced and sat back down in her armchair. –I told you that Emmaline Vance is in the potions program, right?”

–The Ravenclaw,” Alice said with a nod. –You mentioned it. You said she was really nice and you thought the two of you would be good friends.”

–I think I might have been wrong about that,” Lily muttered.

–Oh?” Alice prompted.

–I picked a potion,” Lily explained. –I want to work on the Wolfsbane potion.”

–That exists?” Alice asked in surprise. –I thought it was just a myth. When we learned about werewolves in Defense Against the Dark Arts, Professor Malin never mentioned anything about a working potion…”

–The theory is all pretty basic at the moment,” Lily replied. –And I don’t know… I’m not sure I’ll even get anywhere with it, but I want to at least try.”

–So what’s the problem?”

Lily frowned and closed her eyes for a moment as though she was remembering something. Then she said in a barely audible tone, –Emma thought it was a bad idea. She doesn’t believe in helping werewolves. She thinks they’re monsters, and that no potion can change that. She said we should just lock them in a room at every full moon. She sounded just like Greengrass.”

Alice pursed her lips. –Eliza Greengrass?” she asked, the name conjuring up memories of a blonde Slytherin that she had never been able to stand at Hogwarts.

Lily nodded.

Alice was quiet for a moment, then she asked tentatively, –Is Vance a pureblood?”

Lily nodded again, then said, –But I didn’t think she was that kind of pureblood.”

Alice chewed her lip. –Is she?”

–Is she what?”

–Is she really that kind of pureblood?” Alice pressed. Lily looked at her in shock, her expression clearly stating that she had no idea how Alice could be asking such a question, and Alice continued, –What exactly did she say to you?”

Lily closed her eyes again, then said as though she was reciting a remembered conversation word-for-word, –You can’t really think a potion is going to make a werewolf not a monster. Most people, when they’re sick, don’t tear someone else to shreds. The wolf is a monster. You can argue all you want about the person being normal and human, but the wolf is not.”

Alice raised both eyebrows. –You remembered that verbatim?”

Lily gave a half-hearted shrug. –It’s been bugging me all day. I kept replaying the conversation over and over in my mind, trying to think about her words, trying to figure out… trying to figure out how I could have misjudged her so badly.” She rubbed her eyes. –She told me that I could work on this if I wanted, but that the Wolfsbane potion hadn’t been invented because it wasn’t possible to turn a werewolf into something besides a monster. That we should just lock them up once a month and then fix their injuries the next day.”

She looked so incredibly depressed that Alice actually debated not saying anything. She wasn’t sure she could convince Lily that the things Vance had said weren’t actually as bad as Lily was making them out to be, but she also didn’t think it would help matters any to merely agree that Vance was a bigoted pureblood and leave it at that.

She ran a hand through her hair and wished vaguely for Mary. A distraction would be useful.

–I was just so angry at her,” Lily murmured.

–Lily… if I say something, will you promise not to bite my head off?”

Lily looked startled, but nodded, though her expression was a bit wary.

–She didn’t say anything that was really so bad.”

–What? How can you say that? How can you even think that?”

–You promised not to bite my head off!”

Lily glowered, but was silent, allowing Alice to explain her comment.

–She said that a werewolf is a monster. Not the human, Lils, but the wolf. And the wolf is a monster. Once a month, that thing has no conscious and a bloodlust that makes it an incredible threat.”

–That’s why we have to help them! Not just leave them to tear themselves to bits…” Lily looked pale and upset, and she took a few shaky breaths to calm herself before saying, –Did you know that if a werewolf doesn’t have a victim to attack it turns on itself? It bites and claws itself, tears its skin, draws blood.”

Alice wondered how Lily knew that, but decided not to ask. Instead, she pointed out, –And you know what Vance said? She said that what we should do is lock a werewolf in a room once a month and then fix the injuries the next day.” Lily looked at her as though she couldn’t understand why this was a good thing, and Alice said, –You know Eliza Greengrass would have said? That we should throw werewolves into Azkaban forever. That we should kill them. That we should prevent them from ever holding employment, from getting an education, from being a part of society. And you know what she definitely wouldn’t have said? That we should treat their injuries the morning after.”

Lily was quiet, contemplating this. Then she said in a low voice, –She thinks it is a waste of time to work on the potion.”

–It might be.”

–I know that,” Lily agreed. –But that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t try. Don’t you see, Alice? Maybe saying that we shouldn’t waste time trying to make this potion because werewolves can’t be cured isn’t as bad as saying that werewolves shouldn’t be allowed in our society at all, but it is a form of discrimination. And it is an insidious one, because it is so subtle. What other conditions do we not even bother trying to cure? What other groups of people do we condemn to be stuck with a curse beyond their control just because trying to help them seems too difficult? Why is it okay to give up on werewolves when we fight for everyone else?”

Alice considered this, then nodded slowly. –I understand your point,” she agreed. –But did you tell Vance that? Did you tell her how you felt? Or did you just get mad at her and lash out?”

Lily flushed, and Alice saw the shame and regret creep into her eyes even as she averted her gaze from Alice’s frank stare. –You’re right,” she said.

–I usually am,” Alice answered with a light smile. Lily rolled her eyes, and Alice added, –Look, you do have a point. What Vance said was wrong… sort of. But she isn’t like Greengrass or any of the other Slytherins. And I bet if you just explained your opinion to her - calmly and rationally - she might actually agree. You just need to keep in mind that she is a pureblood and she was raised in this world, and that means that she has been exposed to certain commonly held beliefs from a young age. And one of those beliefs…”

–Is that lycanthropy can’t be cured,” Lily finished for her.



–You said the person wasn’t the monster.”

Emma looked up, eyes slightly cool and not particularly friendly, and Lily winced inwardly. She had been called self-righteous and temperamental on more than one occasion, and she had been called both of those insults by her own friends. She’d stopped denying it after the end of fifth year because some part of her had known that - on occasion - she was both of those things.

It had never really impacted her friendships. Mary and Alice had their faults as well, and seemed more than willing to put up with hers.

But Emma clearly didn’t want to forget their argument.

Lily cleared her throat. –I… shouldn’t have reacted the way I did. What you said… I do disagree with it, but you weren’t… you could distinguish between a person and a monster and I… I shouldn’t have compared you to… well…” Her eyes darted sideways towards Eliza Greengrass’ station and settled for a moment on the blonde witch.

She chewed her lip and looked back at Emma. At least the other girl’s stare didn’t look quite as unfriendly as it had a moment ago.

–The thing is… we don’t just give up on other people. Maybe lycanthropy can’t be cured. I don’t know. I’m not sure anyone knows. But it is an illness and we don’t give up on trying to cure other illnesses, not even the ones we believe are incurable.”

Emma frowned. –It’s a waste of time,” she said.

–How is trying to help someone ever a waste of time?” Lily countered.

–You have to pick your battles,” Emma answered. –You’re a brilliant potioneer Lily. You must be, or you wouldn’t be in this program. But putting your time, effort, and energy into this… it means you’re not working on something else. Something else that might need a cure. There are plenty of diseases out there…”

–The plague you’re working on,” Lily interrupted, –it’s not common, is it? Not as common as lycanthropy. And certainly not that common in England or even most of Europe. Right?”

–Right,” Emma agreed slowly, unsure where this part of the conversation was going.

–Well, isn’t it a waste of your time and effort, then, to be focusing on such a rare disease? There are other diseases out there that affect more people, that kill more people. If the only thing that matters is helping the most people, shouldn’t you put your energy into those?”

Emma stiffened. –That’s… this is different,” she said sharply.

–Why? Because this matters to you?” Lily questioned. Emma hesitated, then nodded slowly, and Lily pressed on, –Well, lycanthropy matters to me. This is what I believe in, this is what I want to fight.”

Emma let out a long breath. –Fine,” she said at last. –If it is what you want to do…”

–It is,” Lily said emphatically. –You said I needed a potion I feel strongly about, that I’m passionate about. Well, this is something that matters to me.”

Emma nodded again, then asked, –Is it the potion that matters to you specifically, or just the fact that it is a way to fight bigotry?”

Lily raised her eyebrows, surprised by the perceptiveness of the question, then answered honestly, –Both.” Emma inclined her head, indicating that she accepted the answer, and Lily was glad that she didn’t press for any details as to exactly why curing lycanthropy mattered so much.

She couldn’t share Remus’ secret with anyone, particularly not someone that she’d only known for a few weeks. Even if she did trust Emma.

–And I really… I really didn’t mean to compare you to her,” Lily added, jerking her head in Eliza’s direction. –I was just angry and… and sometimes when I get angry I say things I regret later. I know you aren’t like her. And I shouldn’t have…”

–Don’t worry about it,” Emma said when Lily trailed off, unsure how to finish her apology.

The redhead turned away and moved towards her own workstation, but Emma called her back.

–Lily… There are people out there who think this potion is a waste of time because they believe the person is the monster. Or, at least, that there is no difference between the person and the wolf.” She paused for a moment, twisting a few strands of dark hair around two of her fingers and regarding Lily with a serious expression. –There are people who won’t be happy that you’re doing this.”

–I know,” Lily said simply.

Emma frowned, then shook her head. –I don’t really think you do,” she said. –This isn’t Hogwarts. Things are different here. We’re not protected the same way we were at that school and… just don’t be surprised if you find yourself encountering a lot of… unexpected… obstacles.”

Lily accepted this in silence, feeling rather unsettled by the warning.