Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Fighting for the Cause by PeppermintToads

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Thanks to Nidhi (GinnyPotter/GinnPotter95) for being such a great beta!
I am a horrible person. At least, that's what I tell myself as my gaze wanders over to Astoria for the umpteenth time during Potions. She seems so different with Amos and Porter--happy, laughing, and talkative. Were Matthias and I burdening her that much?

Matthias isn't happy. To be honest, he's actually rather annoyed at me for helping Astoria with the powdered moonstone. But that's okay. It's most definitely not the first time he's been mad at me, and it certainly won't be the last. But I think that the real reason Matthias is angry is because Astoria isn't paying attention to him. In fact, she's acting like he doesn't exist. But then, it's the same situation vice versa.

Matthias is used to his ex-girlfriends glancing at him angrily or even tearfully. But Astoria--quiet, gentle Astoria--is completely ignoring him. It's an act of defiance that he would have never expected from her. But then, he shouldn't have hit her. I can't help but worry though, given the message that Amos just delivered.

I'm done with him.

My head is whirling with foolish ideas. Astoria isn't interested in Matthias anymore. If Matthias isn't interested in her either...then maybe, just maybe...

Stop it, I tell myself angrily. I'd promised myself back in third year that I was done liking Astoria. She'd been dating my best friend, so what else had I been supposed to do? But now.... Well, now she and Matthias aren't together. So where does that put me?

I feel like a horrible friend. I probably am.

After class, I follow Matthias out of the classroom. Astoria and Amos are now walking ahead of Porter, who is walking alone.

I see Vane and her lot moving towards Porter, but I don't bother to warn her. Why warn her? Why should I help her? I may not have a grudge against the Houses themselves, but Porter...well; I can hold a grudge against anyone who's hexed me. Especially gossipy and giggly girls like Porter.

Like everyone else, I stop to watch as Vane shoves Porter into a wall.

"What's the matter with you?"

"What?" asks Porter, looking genuinely confused. I wonder what Vane is so ticked off about.

"You know what I mean!" snarls Vane. When she attempts to shove Porter again, the other girl draws her wand.

"No, I'm afraid that I don't know what you mean."

Astoria and Amos have turned around, and I catch Astoria's eye. She looks at me for a moment, and I realize just how very beautiful she is. Then she turns her attention back to Porter. I hope that she doesn't intervene--Matthias is angry enough with her as it is, and if she defends a Gryffindor I don't know what lengths he might go to.

"You walk out on us for no reason to go hang out with some slimy, low-level Slytherin," Vane is saying. "You've been nothing but rotten since term started, hardly ever laughing and acting like you're too good for us. But you know what? You're not." She draws her wand as well, and a murmur goes through the spectators.

Next to me, the grin on Matthias's face is growing wider and wider.

"You're no good. You never have any fun and you walk out on your own friends to consort with the enemy. You won't even walk with us in the hallways! You--"

But before Vane can finish her sentence, Slughorn comes out and shouts at them to put their wands away. Porter takes off, but Vane stands there alone looking shocked as Lawrence and Bishop--her two remaining minions--hurry down the corridor, whispering to each other.

Our next class is Transfiguration with the Hufflepuffs. Matthias slouches into the seat next to mine, shooting death glares at Astoria's turned back as she jokes and talks with Amos. Is she really this happy, or is she going out of her way to annoy Matthias?

The first Transfiguration lesson of the year is difficult, and I honestly don't know why we would ever have to vanish a snail, but Professor McGonagall insists that it is important.

"Evanesco!" I say, pointing my wand at the snail. Nothing happens, but I expected that. I'm okay at Transfiguration, but it usually takes me a few tries to get the hang of a spell. My best subject is Arithmancy, but not many people think that it's very important. Not like Charms or Potions.

At least I'm not as bad off as Matthias. When he says the incantation, his snail turns pink and bloats to the size of his hand.

"Mr. Avery!" McGonagall is behind him in an instant. "Would you care to explain what just happened?"

Matthias looks up at her and smirks, glad to be the center of attention. "The snail turned pink. That means I pass my first year exams, right?"

Several people laugh. I am not one of them, and neither is McGonagall.

"And what are we supposed to be doing, Avery?"

Matthias shrugs. "I dunno. Say Oliver, what were we doing again?"

I sink lower into my seat as more people laugh. Why me?

"Mr. Flynn."

I look up to see McGonagall staring down at me. Of course, Matthias would be the one to make the Head of Gryffindor angry at the start of term.

"Mr. Flynn," she says again. "Please explain to your illiterate friend what today's lesson is. Mr. Avery, you will write a four page essay tonight on exactly what you did wrong."

"I thought I was illiterate!" Matthias calls to the professor's retreating back.

"Twenty points from Slytherin," she replies. "Any more interruptions and it's a detention."

Matthias smirks and slouches back into his chair, absentmindedly prodding the snail with the tip of his wand.

By the end of the lesson, I am the only one to have accomplished anything after vanishing two snails.

***

The first assistants (it's less humiliating to call it that than the full name) meeting is held in the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom. At seven o'clock, I go with Matthias, Nathaniel, and Hadrian. Amos does not come, and I envy him.

It's all Slytherins, which makes sense seeing as we were probably the only House invited to join. Almost everyone fifth year and up is there. Amos isn't, though, and neither are the Greengrass sisters or Draco Malfoy. That's interesting--Draco Malfoy is the first person who I would have expected to join.

Our group sits in the very back. Matthias and Hadrian slouch and grin lazily, trying to look cool, but it pretty much just makes them look stupid. Especially when Nathaniel copies them, leaving me as the only one with good posture and a serious expression. I am not imitating them. I don't even want to be here.

Alecto is already at the front of the classroom, but Amycus comes in a few minutes later. After a few moments, Alecto stands up and clears her throat. Almost immediately, the room falls silent.
"All right, yeh lot," barks Amycus. "I assume that yeh all know what yeh are here for--everyone in this room has been selected to be a member of the Investigational Assistants."

Not for the first time, I wonder what Matthias has dragged me into.

"Yeh'll all know by now about the new Ministry laws. The Wizardin' World has finally decided to return to our old ways. There are, however, a few rebels out there who're tryin' to stop the change." He casts his eyes around the room as if searching for signs that we might be like those people.

"All of yeh," he says. "Are the next gen'ration. Yeh are the ones who'll benefit from the new regime. Yeh are going to either enforce it...or fight it."

"We want to help yeh to make the right decision," adds Alecto.

Next to me, Matthias is looking pleased. Clearly he agrees whole-heartedly with the Carrows. Nathaniel and Hadrian are smiling as well.

I then realize that I am not like them. I may be a Slytherin, and my father may be a Death Eater, but I don't want a new regime. I like our world the way it is. I don't want to support rules that are unfair or pointless

But then again, I don't have much of a choice.
Chapter Endnotes: Expect for Chapter Seven to be up within the next few weeks! :)