Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Night Terrors by Karaley Dargen

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: I just posted two chapters at once, so if this looks confusing to you, you have probably skipped one!





When I come to, there is a pain in my chest like I’ve just run ten miles. I put my hand over my heart, where the cold, piercing burn lingers, and in the moment it takes me to feel my heartbeat, I genuinely fear that it has stopped. But then there it is, weak and hurried, but beating, and I open my eyes.

The first thing I notice is that there is a curtain drawn around the right half of my bed, and I know that I’m in the hospital wing. I want to get up, see if anyone else has woken up, but that damned curtain is blocking the other beds from my view. But then, I notice Charlie sitting on my left side, and for just this moment, I don’t even need to know how the others are.

–Hey,” I mumble.

–Morning, sleepy.” He looks up from the book on his lap, and I can tell that he is trying to pretend like he isn’t too fussed about all this, but his book is upside down and he’s still on the preface.

Before I can reply at all, Madam Pomfrey is bustling around the bed, checking my temperature and almost poking the illuminated tip of her wand in my eyes. In the end, she declares that Charlie can stay for a while, but only if he doesn't ask questions or overexcite me.

–What are you doing here?” I ask, trying to sit up and failing miserably. –No, wait. What am I doing here?”

Charlie gets up and pulls a thick pillow out from under the bed. –I went to McGonagall, who got Sprout to check on you,” he explains as he stuffs the pillow behind my head, propping me up so that we can talk properly. –The moment they saw you, they knew something was wrong. You looked worse than the other three, apparently. And then of course they found Martha...”

–But how did you know?” I ask.

–Seriously, Tonks? You have to ask?” Charlie rolls his eyes at me. –I’ve known you long enough. You had that potion, you had a friend in trouble... And anyway, you didn’t promise.”

–Promise what?”

–That you wouldn’t do anything stupid,” he replies.

I’m torn between wanting to hit and to hug him, and feel too weak to do either. –Thanks,” I mumble finally.

–It’s the least I could do. I just wish I could have come along to make sure that nothing... I mean, that you didn’t...” He busies himself with putting away his book for a moment, and when he comes back up, I’m relieved to see that he’s put on a bright face. I know that there are serious issues that need to be discussed, and that I actually was in danger, but I don’t want to think about that right now. –In exchange for my extreme chivalry,” Charlie begins again, –I demand a full recounting of your adventures.”

–You have yourself a deal,” I say, grinning. –Where is Martha?” I ask after a pause. –Did they bring her here as well?”

Charlie shakes his head. –They’re taking her to St Mungo’s.”

–Why? She isn’t still ... asleep, is she?” Images of that dark cloud in the sky and a world of grey ash flash across my eyes, and I have to close them for a moment, until I can feel Charlie take my hand in his.

–No, she’s in no worse state than you are. Physically, at least. She’s probably going to need some other form of treatment in the long run.”

I nod. The level of anxiety and nerves that Martha has shown isn’t something that can be cured with a Calming Draught. –And they can provide that at St Mungo’s?”

–Dunno.” Charlie shrugs. –For now, I think they didn’t want her to be here, with... well.”

–Her victims,” I finish for him, and feel the weight of the word on my chest. –Yeah, that makes sense, actually. Do you know how... how she did it?”

"I didn't have much of a chance to talk to Alex," Charlie replies. I can't help but notice that he is sitting by my bed and not hers. "But from what she told me... it sounds like Martha kept going back to that... place, and other people kept popping up as well, but they were just dreaming, sort of wandering around, apparently. And when Martha had set her eye on someone, she'd just grab them and put them in some sort of... of cage? I'm not sure if she meant that literally, or..."

"She did," I say. "Wow. So Martha must have been hanging around there for weeks, practising whatever she was doing and picking up people she was annoyed about... That's..."

Silence spreads between us again; there are no words for what has happened.

–Hey, how are you doing?” Charlie says finally.

–I’m okay, I guess,” I reply. –I will be, anyway.”

–Mmhm. Professor Dumbledore wants to see you when you’re feeling up to it.” He squeezes my hand as I close my eyes again and try to swallow the lump in my throat. Of course, he wants to see me. I did everything wrong, as far as school rules are concerned. I bought an illegal potion. I got it knowing it was illegal, and I used it. We should have gone to one of the teachers immediately. I put myself and my fellow students in danger by not calling in someone who could have dealt with the situation properly. Of course, I’m in trouble.

Charlie stays with me while Madam Pomfrey feeds me Strengthening Solution and even some proper breakfast, and we play card games while we wait for it to kick in properly. When I’ve flattened Charlie the third round in a row, I make my decision.

–I think it’s time for me to go,” I say.

–Oh go on, you’re just scared of breaking your streak,” he exclaims. –I just know I’ll get a perfect hand now!”

–Better quit while I’m ahead then, right?” I give him a wink as I get up from the bed. –Think I should change into my robes before I see the headmaster?”

–Nah, I think he’ll appreciate the eccentricity.”

–Might get a bit draughty in the castle if I’m just wearing my pyjamas though,” I muse. –Bugger off then, I have to make a good impression.”

Charlie steps aside and pulls the curtain shut behind him to give me some privacy. My robes are neatly folded in my bedside cabinet. Just before I pull them over my head, my eyes fall on the dark bruise that still covers my ribs. It’s Sunday, around noon now. Were we really playing Quidditch only yesterday?

When I step out from behind the curtain, I can hear Madam Pomfrey muttering something about frail patients and stress, and the absolutely unprofessional opinion of the headmaster concerning these matters. She tries to force another spoon of Strengthening Solution on me, but I assure her that I’ll return to take it later. I manage to dodge her next attack when someone walks up to me from one of the other beds quickly.

–Laura!” I look at her and then at the other beds in the room. Morgan is still sitting there, but I can’t see Ed or Alexandra.

–Thank you,” Laura says, and throws her arms around my neck. –Thank you, Nymphadora.”

–Um... That’s all right,” I reply, patting her on the back. When she lets go of me, her eyes are shining with tears, but a bright smile is plastered all over her face.

–Honestly, if you ever need anything, just tell me. You saved him. You saved all of them.”

–It’s not a big deal,” I say quickly. –Seriously.”

–Yeah, right.” Laura laughs. –We can never thank you enough, Nymphadora.” Laura says, then walks back to her boyfriend.

–Yes, Nymphadora,” Charlie says when we’ve walked through the door and out of earshot. –We can never thank you enough!”

–Shut up.” I hit him on the arm. –Don’t ever call me that.”

–You let Laura Finch call you that.”

–Well, Laura Finch is eternally grateful and will do anything I need!” I reply. –Also, she just started using my first name, and I haven’t really had a chance to tell her... well. Where are the others, anyway? Ed and Alexandra?”

–They were up about half an hour before you came to. Madam Pomfrey tried to keep them in their beds, but frankly, she never stood a chance. I think they were called to talk to McGonagall and Sprout about everything that happened. And Dumbledore probably spoke to them as well.” We’ve come to a halt where a hidden passageway branches off. –Do you want me to come with you?” Charlie asks.

I consider this for a moment. –No, but thanks,” I reply. –I think I’d better do this on my own.”

–All right.” I know that he understands. –Shall we meet up in the kitchens afterwards? It’ll be time for lunch by then.”

–Or tea, depending on how long he wants to scold me for,” I say, pulling a face.

–You don’t know that he’ll do that.”

–Yeah, well...”

–Sure you don’t want me to at least walk you up?” he asks, and puts a hand on my shoulder.

–Go away, will you! I’m a big girl.” I laugh in spite of the dread that I feel. –Get to the kitchens and prepare the house-elves for my arrival. I’m still starving. This dream thing is exhausting.”

–Okay, your choice,” he says, raising his hands. –The password is ‘gingerbread’.”

–It’s March,” I reply.

Charlie shrugs. –It’s Dumbledore.” He turns to leave, but stops again and looks at me. –Good luck. And take Pomfrey’s potion when you’re done!”

–Yes, Mum,” I say, and then Charlie disappears into the hidden passageway and I walk down the corridor to the stairs.

When I’ve reached the gargoyles that guard the entrance to Dumbledore’s study, I straighten my robes and say –Gingerbread.”

–It’s March, you know,” one of them replies as the wall opens up.

–Hardly the season,” the other pitches in.

–Shut up,” I say, and step on the stairs.

I was expecting to have to wait for a while outside the headmaster’s study. Actually, I was counting on it, so that I’d have some time to prepare my defence. Instead, though, the door opens as soon as the revolving staircase has brought me to the top.

–Ah!” Dumbledore greets me. –I trust you are feeling better? Otherwise Madam Pomfrey will have my head for summoning you from your sickbed."

"I'm fine," I reply.

"Do come in then. Take a seat.”

This isn’t the first time that I’ve been in here, but I’m still as impressed as I was in my third year. Maybe even more now, since I know the function of some of the devices that are whirring and ticking in the glass cases. I move to the chair I’ve been offered as quickly as possible. As long as I’m sitting down, I can’t break anything of value.

–Now then,” Dumbledore begins, having sat down at the desk across from me. –I am sure you realise that you are a student at this school, and thus the school rules apply to you. Though undoubtedly helpful to your fellow students, the way in which you conducted your... ah... investigation is not entirely accepted behaviour at Hogwarts.” He opens a desk drawer and pulls out a folded sheet of parchment. –I believe you should have this.”

He hands it to me, and I take it without even looking at it.

–Am I expelled?” I ask before I can stop myself.

Professor Dumbledore chuckles, throwing me completely off. –No, Miss Tonks, you are not expelled. You will find that what you are holding is a copy of the letter I took the liberty of sending to Rufus Scrimgeour, the Head of the Auror Office, expressing my strong recommendation to take you on as a trainee as soon as you have completed your NEWTs.”

–Sir, I don’t understand... I thought I was in trouble.”

He looks at me quite seriously now. –You have just saved three fellow students, possibly four. It certainly would have been more responsible to go to a member of staff for help, but who knows how much time might have been lost that way. You acted on your instincts, and while not everyone might agree that this was the right course of action, the results are non-debatable. And in addition to that,” he continues, –you will sit your NEWT examinations soon. Our time to educate you is up. That will likely be the worry of the Auror Office soon.”

–Worry, sir?” I ask, and instantly regret the cheek, but then I see a smile playing around Dumbledore’s lips. Encouraged by this, I continue speaking. –Sir, there are some things I don’t... I don’t quite understand.”

–As I am sure there are. I will try to answer any questions you have, but even I cannot claim to have extensive knowledge on the world of dreams.”

–Is that what it was then? A dream world?” I ask. –Does everyone go there when they sleep?”

–Yes, and no,” Professor Dumbledore replies. –It is a dream world, but not all dreams take place there. From what your fellow students have told their Heads of House as well as me, this was one particular realm, for lack of a better term. Every dream is motivated by an emotion -- this was where the dreams sparked by sorrow and worry take place, so of course if you were looking for students about to take their NEWT examinations, they would be quite likely to turn up there.”

–Just... just that kind of sorrow?”

–I believe all kinds of sorrow, Miss Tonks. I take it exams are not the only thing Mr O’Flaherty is worried about.”

–Oh, yes -- they’ve been fighting, and he would be...” I trail off. –I saw someone else there, sir.”

Professor Dumbledore puts his fingertips together and peers at me intently. –Someone besides your four fellow students?”

–I-- I’m not sure.” It’s not that the dream is slipping away from me; I don’t think it ever will. It’s more that I’m not sure what exactly to tell Dumbledore. –We’ve discussed Dementors in Defence Against the Dark Arts.”

–I should imagine you have,” the headmaster replies calmly.

–Is the kind of... sorrow that a person would feel around them something that might land you in that world as well?” I ask.

Dumbledore takes a moment to reply, and while he looks at me, I’m sure that he knows exactly what is going through my mind. –I’m afraid,” he finally says, –that my knowledge on the nature of this realm or others does not extend far enough to answer that question exhaustively.”

–I understand,” I say, looking at my hands. –Thank you, sir.”

I guess I’ll never know if what I saw was real or just a figment of my imagination, some sort of memory lost in my subconscious.

–Was there anything else you wanted to ask?”

–Just one more question,” I say, looking up again. –There was … something in that world. I don’t know. Something terrifying.”

Dumbledore nods. –Ah, yes. Witches and wizards more learned and daring in that area than me have written on these things. Something ancient dwells in every world that you enter in your dreams. It feeds off the emotion and might even be what lures you there, if you are, for example, particularly burdened with sorrow. Of course, all this is just very theoretical and no one has yet been able to research the topic in depth. But judging by Mr O’Flaherty’s description, this might have been what you encountered, and you likely made a narrow escape.”

–Is dreaming always dangerous then?” I ask.

–Luckily not,” he replies. –I should have a much harder time to go to sleep otherwise. I believe what put all of you into particular danger in this case is the extended time that was spent there, particularly by the students held captive, as well as the productive magic that was worked.”

–Sir, I know I said I only had one more question, but--”

–I shall grant you another,” Dumbledore says.

–Ed and the others could say what they wanted to, but they couldn’t do the things that Martha did, or even walk around properly. And I feel like... like I could have done anything there, really, if I’d wanted to. But that wasn’t a normal dream they were having anymore either, was it?”

–Lucid dreaming, as they call it, is something anyone can achieve. It requires practice, and hardly makes for relaxing sleep, but it certainly is possible. Your classmates knew they were dreaming, which is the first step to controlling your actions. The potion that you took--” I flinch at this –--enabled you to act more strongly and quickly. Certainly, your classmates would have been able to walk around by then, had they not been artificially restricted. But, as I said, it does require time and practice.”

"Now that I took the potion, does this mean I'll always dream... lucidly?" I ask. The thought worries me slightly.

"Not at all. That potion was not a particularly strong one, and you did only take one dose of it. As I understand from what Professor Snape has told me, it is designed to work only for a short period of time."

"But Martha--"

"Has confessed to brewing her own variety of the concoction to enter that world in a conscious state repeatedly over the past weeks," Dumbledore explains. "Despite not attending Potions on NEWT level, she has turned out to be quite apt at it."

My thoughts wander to the greenhouses. Valerian. Sopophorous Beans. Wriggling Wisteria. All the plants you'd need for any sort of sleep-related potion are there. How easy it must have been for her to pinch some...

I ponder this for a moment. Not everything makes sense to me yet, but the longer I think about it, the weaker my urge to find out more about the particular circumstances.

–Does that answer all your questions?” Dumbledore inquires.

–Not really,” I reply, getting up. –But I do have exams to sit in a couple of months, so I don’t think we’d have the time to cover everything anyway.”

Again, he chuckles. –I wish you much success with your studies, Miss Tonks. The Auror Office, should you choose to join them, will be exceedingly lucky to have you.”

–Thank you, sir.” I clutch the parchment tightly as I walk to the door.

–Miss Tonks,” Dumbledore says from his desk just as I’ve put my hand on the door handle. –Dreams are a fragile and dangerous construct, and it is never advisable to meddle with them. If I can ask one thing of you, please do not attempt to return to that world, no matter what or who you might have seen there. The waking life is many times more colourful than any dream could be.”

–Yes, sir,” I reply. –Goodbye.”

–Goodbye, Miss Tonks,” he says. I’m not sure if there was worry in his voice.

Of course it is tempting to go back, to try this lucid dreaming thing. I know that I’ve been in danger, and I would be careful.

But then again...

I have a letter of recommendation from the headmaster for the only job I’ve ever wanted. Charlie is waiting in the kitchens for me. We just won a Quidditch match.

Ed is never going to reconcile with Martha, but at least they’re both safe now.

I have one hell of a story to tell Charlie, and then we’ll goof around a bit, and he’ll make me study Transfiguration, and I still have some essays to finish for next week, and NEWTs are fast approaching... I have enough to do to keep busy, and then some. And I have my friends. Maybe I lost one today, but I’m pretty sure that I made some new ones as well.

Who needs dreams, anyway, when there's so much living to do?



Chapter Endnotes: I cannot thank Carole/Equinox Chick enough for helping me with this story. She's a fantastic friend and a brilliant beta reader and you should all send her flowers and chocolates.