Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Night Terrors by Karaley Dargen

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +




I barely even feel my feet pounding on the stone floor as I run through the castle. People call after me as I pass them, but whether what they’re calling are good luck wishes, insults against Hufflepuff, or indignation at my running into others at every turn, I neither hear nor care.

Ed is in the hospital wing.

Up another staircase.

They levitated him there this  morning.

Step behind the tapestry and up the hidden corridor.

Ed didn’t wake up.

Dodge the first years.

They won’t let me see him.

Mind that trick step.

I have to see him. Have to.

As I skid to a halt, I don’t feel the breath piercing my lungs. I feel that I’m choking up, that my thoughts are jumbled, that I don’t know what to do.

Go and see Ed. Make sure he’s going to be all right.

I run full force at the doors that lead to the hospital wing. It’s not until I reach them that I realise that they’re magically locked. In complete frustration, I throw myself against them several times, until I hear the steps of heeled shoes on the other side.

–What are you doing, Miss Tonks?” asks Madam Pomfrey, opening one of the doors just wide enough to look through. –I’ll have you know that you’re creating rather a ruckus! I have patients in here that are not to be disturbed.”

–Madam Pomfrey,” I plead, –you’ve got my friend in there, Edmund O’Flaherty. He was brought in just an hour or so ago. Please, I have to see him.”

–That won’t be possible.” I’m not sure if I detect a glimmer of sympathy on her face. –Mr O’Flaherty will not receive any visitors until I say so.”

–No, you don’t understand! I’m his friend, I have to-”

–I’m sure that your friendship is very special,” the matron says sternly, –but it does not change my principles of patient care. And now I have to attend to those patients, so I suggest you take your breakfast.”  

–Hang on, Poppy,” says another, kinder voice behind the doors. –I’ll take care of her.”

Madam Pomfrey gives me another look, then steps aside, and Professor Sprout appears.

–Hello, Nymphadora. Why don’t we sit down for a moment?” She leads me a little way down the corridor, away from the hospital wing, and I let her. When we arrive at an empty classroom, she quickly conjures two squashy chairs, and gently pushes me into one of them. It’s incredibly comfortable, and the minute I sit down and look at her kind, concerned face, all the fight and fury in me is gone, and leaves behind only worry and sadness and confusion.

–This must be very hard for you to accept,” she says. –I understand you’ve been friends for a long time.”

I nod. –Since first year, really.”

–And this is a particularly bad time for him to fall ill as well, of course,” Professor Sprout states.

It’s only then that it strikes me. Ed is not going to play in the match today. We’ve lost our strongest Chaser.

–That’s not what’s important,” I say, and it’s the truth. –I just want to know that he’s going to be all right. I have to know what’s wrong with him.”

–You know that Madam Pomfrey will take excellent care of him, and if it’s something we cannot treat here at Hogwarts, he will be transferred to St Mungo’s immediately. I’ll let you know if that happens, of course. But we can’t tell you what’s wrong with him, and we can’t let anyone in to see him. It’s for his best, and I’m sure you understand that it’s important, even if you don’t understand why it has to be this way.”

–No, I know that Madam Pomfrey wouldn’t do it if it wasn’t necessary,” I admit. I’ve been in the hospital wing often enough myself to know that even if she’s sometimes too strict or too brisk, Madam Pomfrey is an excellent Healer. –It would just really help me if I knew why he’s even in there!” And then, before I can stop myself, it bursts out of me. –Is it the same thing that the other two have? Alexandra and Morgan?”

For the fraction of a second, Professor Sprout just stares at me speechlessly, but she’s back on track almost instantly.

–I’m glad you understand that this is necessary,” she says. –You’ll also understand that I’m only here about Edmund, and can’t tell you anything about other students in the hospital wing. It wouldn’t be up to me to give you that information, even if I had it.

–Now, Nymphadora, you’ve got the match ahead. Will you be able to play?”

I swallow hard, then nod. Of course I’ll play.

–Then you should get some breakfast into you before it’s too late. You’ll need your strength.” She pats me on the arm and gives me a sad smile. –The moment there is anything for me to tell, I will come and find you,” she promises, and I genuinely believe her. I just don’t think that moment will come soon enough.

On my way down to the Great Hall, I have two thoughts in my mind. One, we’ll be playing with a completely inexperienced and practically untrained second year Chaser. Two, I’ll have to get into the hospital wing one way or another.

*

A gloomy silence hangs in the air as we sit on the changing room benches. We’ve all changed into our Quidditch robes, including Cedric Diggory, the reserve Chaser, who looks like he’s going to puke any moment now.

–Okay, people,” Anthony finally says and gets up. –I know this has sets us back, not just because we’ve lost a great Chaser but also because one of our oldest team mates is in the hospital wing and we’re all worried sick. But that is exactly why we’re going to go out there now, and we’re going to win this match. And then, when Ed gets out of the hospital wing, we’ll be able to tell him that we won this for him, and we’re damn well going to have a great big party.

–Ed wouldn’t want any of you to play badly because of him. I know we can’t just forget about him, but let’s focus on the game for now. It’s the best thing we can do for him. Cedric, Malcolm, Tamsin, I’d like just a quick word on Chaser tactics.”

The rest of us relax a bit on the benches, and start getting ready for the match, checking our brooms and equipment.

–Cedric, you’ll understand that we don’t expect you to be a full part of the Chaser trio at this point,” Anthony explains. –We didn’t foresee this, obviously, and you haven’t had time to practise as a team yet. So you’d best hang back a bit and let Malcolm and Tamsin do the bulk of the work. It’s not that we don’t trust you,” he adds reassuringly. –Just that you haven’t had the team practice.”

Cedric just nods, his lips clenched shut, and I don’t think he’d want to argue even if he could.

As the other two Chasers quickly go through the moves they can pull off between just the two of them, and how they could modify some others, Cedric looks so lost, I can’t help but walk over to him and put a hand on his shoulder.

–You’ll be all right,” I tell him. –Half of us were worse off than you before our first match. Just wait till you’re in the air and see the yellow and black and hear the cheers. You’ll forget everything else but flying.”

I’m not sure if it helps him, but I do manage to calm myself down a bit.

–Actually, Cedric,” Tamsin says, turning to him, –if you feel like flying ahead with us, you could always try flying a bit lower. It’s not terribly exciting or challenging, but it could allow for Malcolm or me to drop the Quaffle down to you if things get tricky. We might be able to outfly the Gryffindor Chasers without losing possession.”

Before there’s any chance for Cedric to get even more nervous in light of his new task, Anthony claps his hands loudly, signalling for us to gather back around.

–This is it!” he says. –Go out there, and make Ed proud. Make Hufflepuff proud!”


What I said to Cedric wasn’t just a line. It’s a feeling I experience every time I kick off the ground and soar above the packed stadium. The Hufflepuff yellow is almost blinding, even though the sun is hidden behind some clouds, and I can already hear my housemates chanting. Even though I can’t stop thinking about Ed, I feel elated. Anthony is right. Winning is the best thing we can do right now, for Ed and the rest of the Hufflepuffs.

Before I get much time to relish the atmosphere, Anthony zooms past me, Beater’s bat at the ready. –Let’s go,” he shouts. –Straight ahead!”  

Tamsin and Malcolm are flying straight at the Gryffindor Chasers, who are in possession, while Cedric circles beneath them. –Bludgers attacking! Go left!” Anthony calls. The Bludgers are flying at our Chasers from both sides. Anthony and I fly in from below, and arrive just in time to swing our bats with enough power to bring the Bludgers into the Gryffindor’s vicinity. They zip right through their group of Chasers, and though no one gets hit, they are forced to scatter.

–Johnson is going to have to pass soon, or she’ll collide with the Hufflepuff Chasers,” calls Andy Turpin, the commentator.

For a second, I can see the insecurity in Angelina Johnson’s face, then she passes the ball over to her left, where Toby Summers should have been.

–Too bad, Johnson!” comes the commentator’s voice again. –That’s a prime example of what happens when you rely too much on staying in formation. Tamsin Applebee from Hufflepuff is going into a dive, and - yes, she’s caught the Quaffle! Hufflepuff in possession.”

As Tamsin and Malcolm speed above and over the Gryffindor Chasers with the Quaffle, I see the Bludgers making their way back around to the Gryffindor Chasers from behind. I watch the Beaters, Charlie’s twin brothers, closely, trying to make out in which direction they’re going to hit the balls. For their size, they’re bloody strong, or at least very agile. They hit the Bludgers in wildly different directions, leaving us no choice but to fly in a wide half circle each around the group of Chasers to intercept the Bludgers before they can attack our teammates from the flanks. I manage to fly between the Chasers and the Bludgers just before it’s too late, and don’t have enough time to swing my bat properly. The Bludger only flies a few feet before it turns back towards me. All I can attempt in time is a Sloth Grip Roll. When I come back up again, I spin around to see the Bludger that I just dodged hitting one of the pursuing Gryffindor Chasers in the back.

–And Alicia Spinnet is hit by a Bludger,” Andy comments. –She seems to have lost balance - is she going to fall? Ah, she’s back. And there are the Gryffindor Beaters, just a tick too late.” The twins both hit the Bludger at the same time to drive it at our Chasers, who have just come into scoring distance. Before it can hit, however, Anthony appears practically out of nowhere and slams it in the direction of the goal hoops just as Tamsin throws the Quaffle.

–Wood dodges a well timed Bludger, but misses the Quaffle in the process. Ten points to Hufflepuff!”

From my position, I can see Wood punching the air in anger, but I can’t understand what he’s shouting.

–Gryffindor is in possession. They’re flying in a Hawkshead Formation, and Rowena’s rosebushes, they’re fierce. Alicia Spinnet only had two practices to fly with the team, but she’s doing a bloody great job here.”

It’s impossible for me to hit any Bludgers at them. I only get two shots, and both times, the twins are circling their Chasers and use the Bludgers against our own Chasers.

–And they’ve reached scoring range, and Summers takes a shot - but Fleet saves.”

There is a groan from the Gryffindor ranks as the tension deflates.

–Fleet passes to Applebee, who passes to Preece. The Hufflepuffs seem to have decided not to make active use of their third Chaser for this game. Preece and Applebee can’t do a Hawkshead Formation on their own, so they seem to have-- Ouch! That could have ended badly!”

A Bludger has zoomed across the field in seconds, and I only manage to get to it moments before it would have collided with Malcolm’s head. Because I have so quickly, I have no time to take proper aim, which means that the Gryffindor Chasers are flying at us undisturbed. Malcolm and Tamsin are flying in erratic zigzag movements, which seems to confuse the two younger Gryffindor Chasers, but Summers calls an order to them, and they line up on either side of him. Malcolm and Tamsin try to avoid them by splitting up, with Malcolm dropping down and Tamsin rising above the opposing Chasers, but they’re outnumbered, and between them, the Gryffindor Chasers cover them.

–Spinnet is turning out to be a surprisingly fierce flyer,” Turpin says. –They have the Hufflepuffs locked down. Applebee is going to have to make a decision now... And she passes the Quaffle to Preece, but OH! Johnson intercepts the pass! Gryffindor is in possession, and they seem determined now.”

Their team of Chasers is flying incredibly fast, especially considering that they’ve got two younger players in the group. I manage to catch up with them, though, just in time to send a Bludger their way. It would have hit Alicia Spinnet as well, if she hadn’t ducked and sped up.

–Summers passes to Johnson, back to Summers, to Johnson, to Spinnet - the Hufflepuff Chasers don’t know who to focus on. Johnson has the Quaffle, she throws, and SCORES! It’s ten both!”

I turn away from our goal hoops instantly and fly ahead, scanning for Bludgers, as our Chasers take possession.

–Applebee has the Quaffle now. She dodges Johnson - well done - and Spinnet, but- OH! What was that? Applebee seems to have lost her grip on the Quaffle! Summers is in possession, and now he’s in scoring range as well!”

I whirl my broom around just in time to see Summers make the nicest, cleanest goal you could possibly imagine.

–The score is twenty - ten for Gryffindor!” Andy calls.

When he passes me, Anthony signals for me to follow him, and we stay just above our Chasers as they make their way towards the Gryffindor goal. However, before a Bludger comes even close, two of the Gryffindor Chasers fly up on either side of Tamsin, who is holding the Quaffle. They’re still speeding towards the Gryffindor goal, only now Tamsin is trapped, and Summers is flying straight at her.

–Seems like the Gryffindor Chasers have put Applebee in a Parkin’s Pincer there,” comes the commentary. –Excellent teamwork from Gryffindor. Applebee’s only got seconds left now before Summers gets too close...”

My heart is racing. If Tamsin doesn’t pull out right now, they might collide.

–Time to shine!” she suddenly calls, and pulls her broom straight up. All three Gryffindor Chasers instantly follow her upwards, and it’s only when I see the desperate grin on her face that I understand. Luckily, Diggory was quicker on the uptake, so when Tamsin drops the Quaffle, he’s there to catch it.

–Brilliant work from the Hufflepuff Chasers! Diggory, who only joined the active flying team today, helps pull off a flawless Porskoff Ploy, and now he’s got a good head start on the Gryffindor Chasers.”

–Let’s go, Tonks!” Anthony calls to me, and we dive after Cedric before the Gryffindors even fully realise what is going on. The goal hoops are getting closer and closer, but so are the three Chasers behind us. I throw a quick look over my shoulder. We’ve got maybe three seconds left before they get too close.

–Bludger!” I shout when I spot it, and turn around to face the Chasers. Anthony slows down and comes up next to me. The Bludger is coming in from the left, while Johnson, Summers, and Spinnet are still heading right for Cedric, who’s now behind Anthony and me.

–Steady... Three... two... one... NOW!” At Anthony’s command, we both hit the Bludger simultaneously for a Dopplebeater Defense. With the combined force of both our bats, it gains immense speed, and the Gryffindors have no choice but to scatter.

And then there is a noise from the Hufflepuff stands so loud that I almost fall off my broom.

–Diggory passes to Preece, and Preece scores!” Turpin calls over the cheers. –Twenty points on both sides!”

Anthony and I can’t even hear our own voices as we too erupt in cheers. When Cedric joins back up with us, he looks ready to pass out, but there is a wide grin plastered across his face.

–Well done!” I call over to him. –I told you you’d be fine!”

–Gryffindor takes possession, and- hang on! I think Weasley has spotted the Snitch!”

There is a collective intake of breath from the crowd. I scan the pitch, and then I, too, spot it. Charlie is feigning the direction, though, and Sola is still falling for it. It’s a trick only someone who flies like Charlie could pull off. He flies in a different direction until he has to turn, trusting that the other Seeker is going to follow him and then won’t manage to change direction as quickly as him. No Seeker at Hogwarts can turn as quickly as Charlie.

Sola, however, doesn’t need to. She spots the Snitch before it’s too late, and changes her course. They’re both still well away from it when I spot the Bludger heading right for Sola. I grip my broomstick tight, lean forwards, and fly as fast as I can without risking a collision with either of the Seekers. When I reach Sola, the Bludger is right behind both of us, so instinctively, I give my bat a backhanded swing. The moment I hit the Bludger, I know that I didn’t hit it hard enough. It’s flying back up again on Sola’s other side, and now the Snitch is almost in her reach. This is it. In five seconds, we could be a winning team. I can feel the tension in the stadium, the dozens of held breaths. We can win this for Ed, right now. For Ed, who’s locked away in the hospital wing.

And then, in these fractions of a second, it strikes me.

I dive beneath Sola and emerge on her other side, right in front of the Bludger. I take a short breath and blink, and just before the iron Bludger hits my side, I can see Charlie staring at me with wide eyes.

–McMillan has caught the Snitch!” comes the commentary from very far away. –The end result is One hundred and seventy - twenty for Hufflepuff!”

All the air is knocked out of me. My palms grow slippery, and I can’t hold on to my broom handle with my left hand at all. I try to lean forward to support myself with my right arm, but a piercing pain shoots through my left side and across my back. Tears well up in my eyes, and I press them tightly shut. I can’t draw a deep breath. Over a hundred feet in the air, I can’t breathe, see, or hold on to my broom much longer. There is an eruption of cheers and chants from the stands, but rather than elate me, they make me feel dizzy and disoriented. I want to press my hands to my ears, only I can’t move my left hand at all now, and my other hand is the only thing that is keeping me from plummeting to the ground.

–I’m here,” Charlie’s voice suddenly says to my right. –I’ve got you.” He gingerly puts an arm around my waist, and when I know that he’s holding me safely, I let go of my broom with my right hand and put it over his shoulders, wincing as something stabs me in my side.

–Are you completely mental, Tonks?” Charlie whispers. –Why didn’t you use your bat, like all the other Beaters?”

–Didn’t have time,” I groan.

–We both know that’s rubbish,” he says, and I can feel that we’re sinking towards the ground slowly. I’m still keeping my eyes shut. –Keep still,” Charlie orders as I try to adjust on my broom. –You must have cracked some ribs, and broken Merlin knows what else.”

–You think so?” I ask. I can feel the pain turning into sickness. When I open my eyes to see how far off the ground is, the light almost blinds me, and I can feel my forehead going clammy. –You better take me to the hospital wing then,” I say, smiling at him, and quickly close my eyes again.


Chapter Endnotes: That was a long one! Hope you liked the Quidditch. I want to thank Jess (ToBeOrNotToBeAGryffindor, who could just have called herself "ImAClaw", but, you know...), because she was an incredibly big help when I was completely blocked Quidditch-wise. The match might not have happened at all without her, so if you like it, go and thank her for getting me to write it!