Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Assist by Cinderella Angelina

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A sound at the door startled Miss Bones more than Percy, who recognized the knock.

"Come in," he called, looking around quickly and noting with pleasure that not only did he appear to be working, he actually had been.

"Percy, I -- oh, hello," said Dad, noticing Miss Bones. "I'm Arthur Weasley." He crossed the office to shake her hand.

"This is Susan Bones, my new assistant," Percy told him.

"It's very nice to meet you, Susan. I'm glad to you're here to keep my son in line."

Miss Bones smiled briefly, and the expression once again caught Percy so off guard he neglected to complain that his father was embarrassing him.

"I'm glad to be here," she said. "Can we assist you in some way?"

"Oh, you are a very good assistant," Dad exclaimed, grinning at her. He glanced at the tea things leftover from earlier, then turned to his son. "I'm here to invite you to dinner, Percy."

"Dad, I -- "

"I think we'd both prefer not to leave your mother worrying. It's been over a week; just come by tonight."

Percy sighed. "You're right, of course I'd be happy to come, if I get everything done. The Minister has just given us an enormous assignment and -- "

Dad tilted his head at Miss Bones, who nodded. "I'll see you at 7," he said firmly. Before he turned to leave, he placed his hand on Percy's shoulder. "Glad to see you're not starving, but Mum will want to see it too."

"Thanks, Dad. See you tonight."

After the door closed behind him, Percy put his head in his hands. He didn't want to go to dinner; it wasn't something he'd done before the War, and now they were always haunted affairs. But Dad was right: Mum needed to know her children were okay. He couldn't begrudge that.

"Mr. Weasley?"

He didn't look up. "Yes, what is it, Miss Bones?"

She took a deep breath, then hesitated. She was quiet so long that he finally looked at her.

"I feel like I am in an awkward position here," she said finally, meeting his gaze for only a moment before looking down at her tightly clasped hands. "Obviously I am here to assist you both in your work and in ensuring your productivity and well-being. Kingsley made no secret of my assignment in that manner, though he left it to my discretion whether to tell you."

"I figured it out," Percy remarked.

She nodded. "I am not telling you now because I think you are unaware of the situation. I just want to let you know that while I am trying to help in the ways I have been ordered, I don't wish to have an uncomfortable working relationship with you. I report to the Minister, but my daily work is under your direction, and I don't want you to ... feel like I am merely a babysitter and treat me as such."

"I've been giving you work," he protested.

"Yes, and I do appreciate it, because I like to think I am good at what I do. But the implicit trust your father just showed in me, as well as Kingsley's confidence, makes me uncomfortable if it damages your trust in me."

For a moment Percy didn't know what to say, but what came out was, "But you'll do your job for the Minister regardless of whether I hate it, so does it really matter?"

Miss Bones looked back up at him; her gaze was steady and it rocked him off balance. "It matters to me," she said quietly. "It's probably unfair of me to ask you to accept my help in whatever form it comes. I know how Gryffindors are about pride."

Percy bristled, but it was a half-hearted attempt. Her words were ringing true.

"But, well, I ... want this to go well. This time last year a job like this would have been a dream come true, and just because I want a different career now doesn't mean that I don't still want to do it justice. And I want you to like me. Give me a good reference if necessary," she added, smiling a little.

"Miss Bones, I'm sorry," Percy said, before realizing he would have to articulate what he was apologizing for. "I...am not at my best, which I think you have noticed. But it's hard for me to admit to that. It may take some time for us to come to that comfortable working relationship you would like -- but you should know that I would like it too." He smiled; his face didn't crack open. "Thank you for your help today, Miss Bones. Now, there's still plenty to do before -- "

"Susan."

"Pardon?"

Miss Bones was blushing. "You may call me Susan if you like."

"All right then. Susan, if I must head to dinner this evening, there's much to be done."

"Let's get to it," she replied, nodding firmly.

They worked in companionable silence for the rest of the day. Percy was well into the zone and determined to finish his project when Susan cleared her throat.

"Dare I draw your attention to the time?" she asked politely.

"I just need to finish one last thing," Percy responded immediately. "Give me a few more minutes."

"Very well." Percy hoped he was imagining the less-than-meek tone in his assistant's voice, then simply tuned out her presence entirely.

She became impossible to ignore when she stood over his desk and placed her hand over the paper he was reading.

"Miss -- Susan, please!" he snapped, grasping her wrist and trying to throw it away from his work.

"Mr. Weasley, I must insist," she replied. "Your mother is expecting you." She removed her hand and Percy hurriedly bent over the page again.

"Just a moment," he muttered, but found his view obstructed again, this time by the vial of dreamless sleep potion Susan had given him the day before.

"You said this morning you might give this to your brother. Will he be in attendance?"

"Probably."

"Then go," she said firmly. "And take this. Your work will still be here in the morning."

"Very well," Percy said, echoing her earlier words in bad humour. "No doubt you'll be here in the morning too." He picked up the vial and headed out of his office. On his way he saw Susan, holding her wrist where he'd grabbed her earlier and biting her lip.

"Oh." He felt a twinge of regret. "Did I hurt you?"

She met his gaze and graced him with the tiniest of smiles. "No, sir. Now, go!"

He nodded acquiescence. It was time to go home.