Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The First by The owl

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Remus was not happy. This was the second time this week that he'd found himself in the Hospital Wing. Saturday's visit had been routine; while full moons could never really be pleasant, they were made bearable by Madam Pomfrey's attentions and his friends' company, although he couldn't ever explain that to Madam Pomfrey. Being in the hospital wing around the time of the full moon was normal now. However, he hadn't been planning on giving up his Thursday evening to sit here.

It was all Sirius's fault. He was the one who had been so insistent on brewing a Shrinking Solution to use on Professor Slughorn's robes. Remus had tried to convince him that the potion was more effort than it was worth, that they could find a spell to do the exact same thing, but Sirius had been insistent that the prank would be even better if they could use the Potions Master's lessons against him. Lessons from their third year, Remus had pointed out -- hardly a very effective way of getting back at him. Sirius had just said that meant there was less chance of it going wrong. Remus winced in hindsight. If Regulus hadn't recently been inducted into the Slug Club, Sirius would never even have considered targeting Slughorn.

Of course, James and Sirius had been somewhat reckless in their procurement of the ingredients. They hadn't got quite enough daisy roots, which apparently was very problematic. The potion had reacted violently when they'd added the leech juice, and Peter had been landed up here. It was always Peter where potions were concerned. He was the Marauder with the most instinct for practical potions, so he was usually the one closest to the cauldron when his friends' mistakes caused a minor disaster. Remus felt rather guilty about this, although admittedly, Sirius and James were more often the root of their problems. Which brought him back to the blasted daisy roots.

With a sigh, Remus got up from his chair at Peter's bedside; he needed to stretch his legs. Having decided that the Hospital Wing on a Thursday wasn't a fun place to be, James and Sirius had abandoned him to keep watch about half an hour ago. He'd attempted some Transfiguration revision to pass the time, but it was hardly gripping material. Defence Against the Dark Arts would be far more entertaining, but that was the exam he was most confident in. If only Peter was awake to distract him; sadly, Madam Pomfrey had deemed a sleeping draught necessary to his speedy recovery.

Just as he thought that, the omnipresent matron appeared from her office. Remus smiled involuntarily. There was something about her that always did have that effect on him. She looked to be heading towards him, so Remus took a few steps forward to meet her half way. She seemed to be in a good mood, despite the stupidity of Peter's injuries.

–Remus,” she smiled, –it's good to see you in here with a bit more colour in your cheeks. I rarely see you at this phase of the moon.”

Remus felt himself tense up at such a blatant reference to his condition, but glancing around, he saw that the Hospital Wing was virtually deserted. No-one really suffered from the flu in the summer, and apparently there hadn't been many duels of late. He could relax.

Evidently, Madam Pomfrey noticed his discomfort. –It's okay, Remus. I would never act recklessly towards your secret. A matron always knows exactly who is under her care.”

–It's just a pity that your one patient today is here because of such a stupid injury,” said Remus, attempting flippancy.

Madam Pomfrey pursed her lips slightly. –I know you and your friends. I doubt it was actually a gone-off hair-growth potion that caused those boils. I may not have been matron here for many years, but I have already stopped expecting to hear the real causes of the injuries I treat.”

Remus felt his ears go red. –I, um... I mean we... I don't know what,” he mumbled, his voice fading into inaudibility.

Madam Pomfrey smiled sweetly. –Oh, I wouldn't expect you have any idea what I was talking about. A Marauder never gives away his trade secrets, yes?”

Remus couldn't believe his ears. –A Marauder? How did you know?”

Madam Pomfrey's smile grew a little more secretive. –One of the first things you notice as a Healer is that certain patients tend to talk in their sleep once they've been given a sleeping potion. It is a mild side effect of the magic and completely unpreventable.”

–But also rather useful for someone working in a school,” Remus concluded, torn between intrigue at the potion's effect and embarrassment. He had taken plenty of sleeping potions in the past. –So, um, do I..?”

–Say much?” Madam Pomfrey finished. –No, especially as I rarely have to give you sleeping potions nowadays.”

Remus felt himself flushing once more, but tried very hard to disguise his discomfort. He didn't want her to guess at the extent of the secrets he and his friends were keeping. She could never find out exactly why he no longer needed sleeping potions.–It's rather a relief.”

–Especially given what I've just told you, I suppose,” said Madam Pomfrey, raising her eyebrows. To Remus's relief, she didn't dwell on the improvements in his condition. –I have overheard very little from you, but I have occasionally gleaned an interesting snippet.”

–About what?” Remus asked, trying not to look to nervous.

–Mainly the exploits of you and your friends. No real details, don't you worry, but things that as a member of staff, I might not otherwise hear.”

That notion took Remus by surprise. Sometimes, he found it oddly easy to forget that Madam Pomfrey wasn't a student, despite how old she must be. How old was she? He didn't dare ask. –So listening in on people as they sleep is effectively your way of keeping up with student gossip,” Remus said wryly.

Madam Pomfrey laughed out loud at this. –Effectively,” she admitted, –but unless you're offering to share the latest with me, I will simply have to continue.”

Remus found that thought rather amusing. He wasn't normally that interested in tales of who was going to Hogsmeade with whom, but he could actually imagine that discussing this stuff with the matron could be rather fun. She would be delighted by James's current crush, Remus knew, and s Sirius too would give them plenty to talk about. She might have a steely exterior at times -- he had even heard her tell Professor Dumbledore off when he was imposing on one of her patients -- but she was also very good company.

–I won't make any promises,” he said, –but then again, I won't say no.”

With that, a burst of very recognisable laughter came from the door to the Hospital Wing. Suppressing a groan, Remus looked over his shoulder and saw, just as he had expected, James and Sirius practically doubled over in the doorway.

Madam Pomfrey rolled her eyes. –I think I should leave the three of you to it,” she said, before turning away and heading for her office.

Once he was sure that the door had shut firmly behind her (although he suspected she would still be listening in), Remus turned back to his friends, eyebrows raised.

–What's the outburst about?” he asked.

–We knew it,” Sirius wheezed in between gasps.

–Knew..?” said Remus, a note of danger in his voice.

–That was--” James started, before descending back into laughter.

–Remus Lupin and Poppy Pomfrey: you'd make a fabulous couple.”

Finally Remus understood. Without quite knowing why -- after all, Sirius's suggestion was nonsense, the sort of thing he'd normally laugh off in an instant -- he felt a flush creep up his neck.

–We heard you. 'I wouldn't say no',” James teased. –Who would, with eyes so blue and skin so fair?”

This sent Sirius into paroxysms of mirth once more, and it only took a moment for James to succumb too.

Remus was very tempted to huff dramatically as he walked back towards Peter's bed, but he decided not to give them the satisfaction. Instead, he just sat down next to his still-sleeping friend and waited.

It didn't take long before they followed.

–Look,” Sirius began, –I'm sorry we left you alone with Peter for so long.”

He and James shared a look.

–Or rather, we were sorry to have left you,” James continued, –but now we see that you'd rather have had some time alone with your lovely Poppy.”

This, Remus realised, wasn't going to die down for quite some months.

Chapter Endnotes: Thank you for reading! I will be hugely grateful if you have the time to leave me a review. This is my first attempt at a chaptered story :3