Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

1970 by ron lover

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Story Notes:

I absolutely need to thank Nagini Riddle for being my beta for this on such short notice. In about an hour she gave me so much feedback, and I am very grateful for it.
His shirt was dark and baggy, but, in the shade of the willow tree, he didn't feel the effects of the noon-time sun.

The past three days had been uncharacteristically hot. Severus had taken to the outdoors rather than staying inside his stuffy house.

He sat against the hard bark of the willow tree near Spinner's End. He could see his house in the distance, no doubt where his mom was in the basement working on a potion and where his father was yelling at her for the same old reason. Some things never changed.

It was nice for him to be able to get out of his house for a bit. But as he sat against the tree, his view obscured by bushes to his left and houses to his right, he heard raised voices that startled him.

"Please don't stop, Tuney," Severus heard a girl's voice say. She couldn't be much younger than him.

"Mum said that we couldn't walk far. We've already been gone for awhile."

Severus got up from where he was seated against the tree and crawled to the bush that blocked his view of the girls. The dark leaves weren’t very thick, but Severus was sure he couldn't be seen.

The girl he saw first wore a floral shirt with light colored jeans. Her long red hair moved in the slight breeze. She was holding a twig in her right hand. Odd.

"But we won't take very long."

"No," said the other girl. She was blonde and taller than the other one. She was thinner and bonier, too.

A gust of wind blew through, causing Severus's hair to blow in front of his face. He couldn't see what was happening.

He leaned on one hand to give himself balance to push his hair away and in the process pushed down on a pile of small twigs.

"Did you hear that?" said Tuney, the blonde one. Severus didn't dare move- he didn't want the twig to snap again.

The blonde girl looked right at Severus, but she didn't appear to see him. The redhead turned but a leaf blocked her face from his view; Severus still had no idea what she looked like.

"No I didn't. Let's just go."

The blonde smiled, turned, and walked away. Her sister followed a few paces behind her. She started moving her fingers, and the twig began spinning. But her hand wasn't touching the stick.

Severus leaned in closer to the bush but pulled away after wincing. There was a small dot of blood on his palm the size of a needle head. He brushed his hand on the side of his worn pants, probably pushing the splinter in farther, and stood up.

His eyes weren't deceiving him.

That girl was using magic.

~

Severus didn’t understand why the girls ran away from him. Sure, he didn’t mind that the older one ran, but he didn’t want the other one to leave along with her. She was the first person his age he saw do magic, and he wanted to get to know her. It was about time he had someone to talk to.

So when Severus saw the girls a few weeks later, he was once again spying on them from behind the bush. Severus decided he didn't like the one called Tuney. She never let the redhead do anything she wanted. It was either, "No, we can't walk that far," or, "No, don't jump". It was like being with a parent.

Through one of the bigger holes in the bush, Severus saw the girl twirl a stick between her fingers and around her hand. What were the odds that there was a witch nearby? And she was a skilled one at that. Severus thought only Muggles were in the area.

Severus briefly wondered if his parents knew about this, then cast the thought away quickly. His parents would have mentioned it before.

That girl must be a Muggle-born.

–You’re such a freak, Lily. Stop – hey! What are you doing behind that bush?”

Severus didn’t bother trying to hide. He stood up and brushed off his knees as he did so.

He didn’t fall over while he was sitting down, or rustle the leaves, so he had no idea how she saw him.

–Oh, it’s you again.”

–You’re not a freak,” he said to Lily once he was fully standing. He didn’t care about what the other girl had to say.

Before she had time to run away again Severus made the abnormally still tree leaves move. He made the wind run through the shrubs, and made it flow through their hair.

And that was the first time Severus did magic in front of a Muggle.

–You’re not a freak,” Severus said after a slight moment of silence.

She looked at him oddly, as if she’d never heard anyone defend her before. Or it was because he used magic. –You don’t think I’m a freak?”

He smiled at Lily’s grin. He really didn’t do much, but it was enough for Lily to know that she found a new friend, and enough for Petunia to know that she was the only sane person around.

–Lily, we have to go.”

Severus turned to Petunia and saw her grab for Lily, but Lily remained fixed on Severus.

–Why?” She looked back to Petunia.

–You know who this is,” said Petunia. –It’s the Snape boy that lives on Spinners End. Do you see what he’s wearing? You saw what he did! He -- ”

–Tuney, stop it!”

Petunia just looked at Severus. She scrutinized every aspect of him, from his hair all the way down to his holey shoes. He could see a hint of disgust.

–If you don’t come with me, I’ll tell Mum.” When Lily didn’t turn to Petunia, she let out a huff of frustration. –Fine.”

She walked away, leaving her sister with the strange boy from the other side of town.

–I’m Lily Evans.”

–Severus Snape,” he mumbled, as if all his courage left along with her rat of a sister.

–I know.” Right.

They stood there in silence, and Severus didn’t know what to do. He now felt ashamed of his baggy, worn clothes, of his feuding parents. She looked so put together compared to him. He waited for her to start walking away.

–So why can we do things that Tuney can’t?”

–You’re a witch.”

–That’s not a nice thing to say to someone you just met.”

What – no! –No! You can do magic!” Severus moved from behind the bush and walked toward Lily. She didn’t back away.

–Does that make you a wizard then?”

Severus smiled and nodded.

–Are there other witches and wizards?” She looked curious, but Severus could tell that she didn’t quite believe him.

–Of course,” he said. –They’ve been around for more than a thousand years.”

Lily looked around, as if to take everything in. There wasn’t much to see. It was just the same park that he visited every day. There were a few trees scattered around, most of them still growing. The pond wasn’t even visible.

He took a second to look at her. Her hair color was enough to brighten up the drab in his life; there couldn’t have been anything made to look so vibrant as her hair looked in the sun. It was just so shiny, quite the opposite of her sister’s. Freckles dotted her pale face, and Severus was happy to see that there was someone just as pale as him after being in the sun.

Severus thought her to be quite lovely. She wasn’t like his mother or any of the children who grew up near him. She was interesting.

–So there are witches,” she said after looking around for awhile. Her face was still turned to the side so Severus had time to stop staring.

–Yep.” His eyes moved back to her as she looked at him.

–And wizards.” Obviously.

–Yep.”

–There’s more than just us, and they’ve been around for hundreds of years?”

–Yes!”

She grinned at him, wider than he’s seen before, showing her small white teeth. –I can’t wait to tell Tuney!”

Severus didn’t say anything, for fear of insulting her again. That was the last thing he wanted to hear.

–Are you here often?”

Thankful for the subject change, Severus nodded. –I come here when it’s nice out. Well, I’m either here or by the lake.”

–Oh, I’ve never been to the lake without a parent. We should go there sometime.” She smiled in encouragement but he didn’t reply. He didn’t know what to say.

Her smile weakened, and she took a step back. That was the last thing he wanted to see.

–I’ll see you around, Severus.” She gave him another small smile and turned away.

–Bye, Lily.”

She didn’t hear him, and he didn’t watch her leave; instead he sat against his tree, arms crossed behind his head, with a smile on his face.

~

–So you say there’s a separate government with a Minister of Magic?”

–Yeah, it’s in London.”

Lily nodded and leaned back against the tree she had found Severus reading a book at. It was one of his mother’s books on potions.

After she asked enough questions about it, Severus handed it to her. She acted quite excited, as if the book was the greatest thing she had ever seen. He could only smile ruefully, unable to reveal that he had been reading the same book day after day, hoping that Lily would show up and ask him about it.

Every so often she would lift her eyebrows, maybe in surprise that Wolfsbane actually existed.

–So will I have to be able to do some of these?”

–Not just some, all. But don’t worry. These are more advanced than where you will start out at.”

–There is no way I can do these. I haven’t even heard of these ingredients. Moonbeam? Guddyroot? People will make fun of me because I can’t do anything.”

Severus grinned, and Lily made a slightly pained face after realizing what she said.

–So you believe it? That you’re a witch? That you’ll go to Hogwarts?” After a moment of silence he spoke again. –What does your sister think?”

Severus regretted it the moment he said it. Lily’s face fell at the mention of her sister.

–She still thinks I’m a freak.”

Her gaze left the book as she fiddled with wildflowers she picked out on the way to see him. The yellow of the petals matched the color of her shirt. Severus liked the color; it looked very nice on her.

–Well she’s the freak. She doesn’t even -”

–Severus! Don’t call my sister a freak.”

–But-”

–It’s mean.” She let out a huff and folded her arms across her chest. It was the most childlike thing he’d seen her do.

He had no idea what was going on, but he knew it would be unwise to speak again. It hadn’t worked well the first time.

He looked to his side, the side of the path leading back to his house. He had never angered a girl before, let alone a friend. Picking at the grass was his best option.

When the pads of his fingers turned green, and his neck became sore from looking up at the clouds, he decided to speak again. Besides, if she never wanted to talk to him again, she would have left him, not continued to swirl the flowers.

–What are the flowers for?” He figured there was no harm in that question.

She didn’t look at him, even though she had to know he was looking down at her.

–I picked them for my mum. She likes the color.”

Indeed the color was beautiful, but the petals were browning from lack of water. Lily playing with them didn’t help their health, either.

–They look very nice.”

Severus didn’t care too much about the flowers; he was just happy that Lily replied.

–They do,” she said, but her voice wasn’t as bright as before. –But they’ve begun wilting. I should give them to her now.”

Using a tree root as a grip, she stood up and dusted herself off. She grabbed her flowers delicately, despite playing with them moments before.

She left, and when Severus was beginning to get worried about the life of their relationship, she turned around.

–Bye, Severus.”

–Bye, Lily.”

She turned back around and walked home. Severus stopped worrying. He knew she would be back. Who else would teach her about magic?

~

They were walking along the road, talking about magic. Most times when Severus saw Lily in the park, it was with her sister leading the way. Severus did what he could to get rid of Petunia, but no insults worked. He also didn’t want to risk hurting Lily’s feelings, so he was limited in what he could say. Severus knew Petunia was there only to watch him with her beady little eyes. Lily knew that too; she just didn’t care like Severus did.

Lily’s sister was talking and playing with her, and Lily was just glad that Petunia was there. Severus didn’t even mind that he was being ignored by Petunia. He didn’t want to be with her anyway.

–I’m going to go swing, Lily,” Petunia said from behind them as they walked. –Let’s go.”

Severus was walking side by side with Lily but Petunia pulled her away. She didn’t make it very far.

–Tuney, I’m with Severus.” Lily’s arm went limp, but Petunia never loosened her grip.

Petunia turned back towards them, but she didn’t look at Lily. Severus stared back at her and remained silent. It was Petunia that let out a huff. –Fine, he can come too.”

As she started walking away, Lily looked at Severus. He didn’t want to spend his day at the swings, but if that was the only option, he’d take it. He nodded.

–So Lily, Anne got back from the beach today and look at what she brought me.” She turned to look back at Lily but continued walking. –Isn’t it beautiful?”

It was long – it would at least go down to her chest – and on a silver chain. There were a few fake jewels on it, most them an ugly light orange color. There was a large circular pendant in the middle. Severus thought it was atrocious.

–I like it more than the one Mum bought you,” Petunia gloated.

Severus glared at Petunia, but she didn’t notice. Lily took the necklace in her hand and looked it over, and Petunia was looking too smug to acknowledge Severus. Why Lily was looking at it Severus had no idea; it was too ugly for Lily to like it, he thought.

–Yeah, it’s pretty Petunia.”

Petunia didn’t look to Severus for a reply, so he never gave her one. He didn’t know of a nice way to tell her it was hideous, anyway.

They kept walking in silence, but Severus knew what Petunia was thinking. She kept trying to engage Lily in conversation and leave him out, but it wasn’t working. Lily always asked for Severus’s input. Whenever Petunia pulled Lily ahead with her, she would always stay back with Severus.

He loved the small victories.

There were only two swings in the park and Petunia was quick to get one of them. She looked at Severus as Lily sat down next to her and smiled. He gave her a fake smile back and Petunia glared.

Severus just stood against one of the bars holding the swings up and watched Lily swing. Petunia just sat there.

–Are you excited for school to start again Lily? I am. Hopefully Anne will be in my classes, she really is a nice girl. I think you’ll have Miss Arrington. As you know, she loved me, so I think you’ll do well with her.” She looked to Lily for an answer but Severus butted in before she could speak.

–Lily is going to Hogwarts. How many times do I have to tell you?”

–I didn’t ask you, Snape, and no, she isn’t. You really need to stop lying to her - it isn’t nice.” She turned back to Lily. –So, are you excited?”

–Then why can she move things by looking at them?” Severus butted in again. –I know you’ve seen the things that she can do.”

–Just because she’s a freak doesn’t mean magic is real, Snape.”

–I told you to stop calling her that!”

–Why? Because you’re a freak too?”

–Petunia, stop!” Lily said. Severus was happy that she finally stood up to her sister. –Stop calling me that, and don’t call him that either. We aren’t freaks.”

Severus smiled at Petunia and crossed his arms as if he beat her.

–Whatever, Lily. Pretend all you want, but there is no Hogwarts.”

Like always, she just upped and left. Severus sat down in her place, and Lily kept swinging as if nothing happened.

~

Severus had never been happier in his life.

Sure, he didn’t get along with his parents very well, and he was as lanky as ever, and he hadn’t had new clothes of his own in months, even years, but he was happy. He had a friend, a best friend, and in a matter of weeks he would be headed off to Hogwarts, where he would learn more than he ever had been able to on his own.

But that wasn’t the best part – what Lily told him one morning was the best information he had heard in the whole year, maybe even in his life. A Muggle trying to go to Hogwarts, one as vile as Petunia? He had never heard of such a thing. Lily told him not to make fun of her, and he tried not to, for Lily’s sake. The only reason why Severus was successful was because he rarely saw her anymore.

Lily told him she’d been spending more time with her friend, Anna. With what Lily told him of the girl, they sounded perfect for each other.

Severus was glad to be rid of her.

In a matter of weeks, he would be on a train with Lily to Hogwarts. How nice it would be, getting to spend more time with her. He only gets to see her once or twice a week at most, but at Hogwarts when they’re in the same House, he will be able to see her much more often.

Severus was excited for school. Hogwarts would be much better for him. He would be away from his father, away from what was holding him back. Severus would never admit it to anyone, but his father’s taunting had finally gotten him. A place without constant ridicule was a place where he wanted to be. The weeks couldn’t go by fast enough.

–Severus, are you okay?”

Severus jumped. It wasn’t often that he was caught off guard, but Lily’s house had that effect on him. –Yeah, sorry. I was just thinking about Hogwarts.”

But he wasn’t thinking about Hogwarts. He was thinking about Lily and how much he enjoyed spending time with her. He hadn’t expected to like it so much. They would read together in silence, never talking for what could be hours on end, or they could be talking about past dreams they’ve had for their futures.

He was truly interested in what she had to say, which surprised Severus. His mother was normally the only person he didn’t mind listening to, but Lily was special. She had a spark of excitement every time she talked, which Severus liked. He didn’t have to listen to pointless ramblings very often.


She smiled and set her book down. She didn’t notice Severus staring at her. –I think about it all the time. I’m excited to learn more about magic. I also want to try the food.”

They both laughed at that. Once Severus had found out about Lily’s sweet tooth, he hadn’t held back. He told her of the desserts served at every dinner, from treacle tart to chocolate frogs - he had her hooked. He just hoped she wouldn’t eat too much.

Lily was so relaxed in her home; it would be interesting to see her around hundreds of other students. He knew she would do well around them, maybe even a little too well. After one game of hide and seek, he realized how competitive she was.

He liked that about her.

–I can’t wait to play Wizards Chess with you.” He had mentioned it to her before. Lily loved playing chess with her father, and Severus played with himself. When they play together Lily normally wins, but Severus hopes that will change when magic is involved.

–When will we have time to?”

–Well, we’ll be in the same house so we’ll have a lot of time together.”

–How do you know we’ll be in the same House? I really don’t know where I’ll end up.”
Oh. That wasn’t what he wanted to hear.

–It’s just, with what you told me about them, I don’t know if I would fit in with you,” she continued.

–Don’t worry, I think you will.”

He wanted her to, at least. He had never even thought about them being in different Houses.

She looked reassured. –Okay.”

If that was enough for her, it would be enough for him. He had his plans for school, and he didn't want silly thoughts to get in the way of them. But, if it ended up that they were not in the same House, he would just have to try harder to spend more time with her. It would definitely be worth it.
Chapter Endnotes: Thank you for reading! I'm thinking about writing a sequel in Snape's point of view about their time in Hogwarts around their third year. Any thoughts on that?