Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Conference About Spiders by Nagini Riddle

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A Conference About Spiders

The infinitesimally small egg sat there in the warming unit on the table, completely harmless and innocent. The raucous cheers of drunk men from the pub made little noise through the room's door, but it was enough to distract the man examining the egg. Or perhaps it was just a nervous twitch. He did seem to be waiting for something to happen.

A heavy sigh escaped his lips as he leaned back in the chair, pushing the curls off his face. His eyes switched back and forth from the door to the egg. Apprehension tightened in the atmosphere, but the egg remained still, the door remained closed, and the man remained on edge.

After a few minutes, he hurriedly shook out his pockets, and rashly pulled out a curious gold device, fashioned like a locket. He flipped the lid on it to reveal swirling planets and stars, and just as quickly closed it up in his fist.

"Where is he?" the man muttered anxiously, starting from his chair into an erratic pace. He glanced back to the egg, as if expecting it to have moved or disappeared. Still, it remained.

A sudden knock at the door sent the man literally flying to its handle, knocking down his chair in the process.

"Who's there?" he demanded, quickly producing a thin wooden stick from the inside of his coat.

"Your three o'clock," a mild voice replied from the other side, and obvious relief washed over the man's features.

"Dumbeldore! I almost thought you'd forgotten," the man said, opening the door for an older man with long auburn hair just starting to grey.

"Am I late, Scamander?" the man named Dumbledore replied, sweeping into the room with his midnight blue robes.

"Merlin, no, Dumbledore. I just--I've been here for far too long, and the thought of being discovered has, admittedly, made me high-strung."

"Nobody will discover us, I can assure you, Newt. I've taken every precaution to ensure this."

"Please, sit down," Newt suggested, waving his hand to the table. As Dumbeldore took a seat, Newt picked his own chair up from the floor and set it aright.

"Can I offer you anything to drink, Professor?" Newt asked, conjuring two glasses out of midair.

The professor shook his head gently, turning his penetrating gaze to the egg before him.

"Is this it?" he inquired.

Newt gave his wand a small jerk and the glasses instantly disappeared. "Yes, sir. This is what I wanted to discuss."

He paused, the apprehension back in his voice. Dumbledore simply nodded, inviting Newt to continue.

"You know of my work and research, Professor. You know I study dangerous creatures, that I've gone far beyond the norm of a Magizoologist, that I--"

Dumbledore held up his hand, stopping Newt mid-lecture.

"I'm assuming this egg is more than just someone's next dinner?"

Newt's face colored, but he nodded all the same. "It contains an acromantula, and I need somewhere to allow it to hatch so I can study it. Unfortunately, as it is classified dangerous..."

"You need a place that won't be disturbed by the Ministry or innocent passerby," Dumbledore finished for him, his expression rather neutral.

"Yes," Newt agreed. "I was hoping to possibly be allowed use of the Dark Forest. I am already familiar with most of the creatures in it, and I know how to handle myself. Besides, no one should disturb me."

"Unless they are like you and decide to venture into the forest," the professor replied back with a twinkle in his eye.

"Surely you could stop them!"

Dumbledore chuckled lightly. "I already could tell you the name of a student who consistently ventures there to wrestle with the monsters within."

"Oh?" Newt asked, his interest piqued. "You mean to say you actually have a student like me interested in magical creatures?"

"Oh yes, though I don't think he would want to pursue being a Magizoologist. But he might very well wish to become some sort of veterinarian."

"Perhaps he would be interested in helping me with the spider?"

The air suddenly became taut with tension as Dumbledore slightly frowned in hesitation. Newt squirmed uncomfortably in his seat and decided to conjure up a glass again. He poured himself some gin while the professor continued to sit in silence.

At long last, Dumbledore spoke. "I do not say this lightly, Newton. You know that I took your side when you were expelled, and I don't think I need remind you why the expulsion took place. Although I am sure you can handle this creature, and I can say with fair measure that my student would be enthusiastic to help you, I am not sure it would be in everyone's best interests. Suppose someone did find out. What then? Could my student face expulsion, same as you did? Would you be thrown in prison? And what of the creature? Would not the Ministry do its level best to exterminate it?"

"I doubt they have the courage to come near it," Newt replied rather viciously.

Dumbledore sighed in response, sweeping his gaze back over the egg. "How long until it hatches?"

"About a week more, sir. I really do need to find a place to let it thrive, before it hatches."

"After it hatches, does it need to be in the Dark Forest? Or could it hide somewhere until it gets larger?"

Newt gave it some thought before saying, "I am not entirely sure. Certainly I could keep it inside a small cage for a little while. It wouldn't need a large lair until it was about a year old. But this is why I am approaching you now. So there is time to decide."

"How long until it becomes dangerous?"

Newt let out a long whistle as he tried to come up with a best estimate. "At least six months. By then, I think the jaw would be big enough to fasten around a substantial animal. But you understand that this is all purely hypothetical. That is, I don't know the exact answer, which is why I am studying the monster in the first place."

Nodding, Dumbledore picked up the warming unit. "I like you, Newt. And I trust you. Why don't we conclude this meeting, let me think it over, and we'll meet again in two days' time? I might even bring the student along, because I do believe it would be good for him to meet someone like you."

"Same time, same place?" Newt concluded, waving his wand to Vanish his glass.

"Yes," the professor agreed, standing up and replacing the unit on the table. "Always a pleasure, Mr. Scamander."

"And a good evening to you, Professor Dumbledore."

They shook hands briefly before Dumbledore exited out the door, leaving Newt to contemplate the tiny egg on the table.

"Oh Dumbledore," he said aloud to the room. "Please be able to help. You're my last hope."

And with those reflective words, Newt flicked his wand so that all his items neatly fit themselves into his suitcase, which he then carried with him out the door.
Chapter Endnotes: My thanks to whoever came up with the meme that put Aragog into Newt Scamander's pocket... :)