Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A New Generation Begins by The_Heir_of Gryffindor

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The Quidditch season soon approached along with several days of rain. Friday of that week was given to Quidditch try-outs. All the Gryffindors all day long begged Ian to try out. So, during lunch, with the praise of all the Gryffindors, Ian made his way to Professor McGonagall's office.


************************

Ian knocked on his Head of House's office.

"Come in!" McGonagall's voice called through the door.

Ian walked in tying to keep his voice calm. "Professor, I was wondering, well, you know, Quidditch try-outs are today, and, well, I was, all the Gryffindors-"

McGonagall held up her hand to silence him. "Mr. Potter, you know the law."

"But, Professor-"

"Will you let me finish?"

Ian closed his mouth firmly.

"Now, I am fully aware that both your parents were seekers. And, if I'm not mistaken, your father was the youngest Quidditch player for over a century. Not to mention, Gryffindor won all of the games, except for one time during a dementor attack. But you, Mr. Potter. I haven't seen your flying skills yet, but I have faith in you."
Ian's stomach had butterflies.

"That's why I'm appointing you personally as Gryffindor Seeker."

Ian nearly melted on the spot and his breath was hitched in his chest. "Professor McGonagall! I don't know what to say besides thank-you!" he sputtered.

McGonagall simply waved him away and handed him a parchment. "Give this to the team captain before try-outs this afternoon."

Ian nodded and left the classroom, but stopped in the doorway and turned back around. "Thank-you, Professor. You won't regret this."

Again, McGonagall waved him away and returned to writing on a piece of parchment.
When Ian entered the Great Hall, it grew silent and the entire Gryffindor table turned to look at him. He grinned and raised up the rolled up parchment. "I got it!"

The entire Gryffindor table exploded into cheers. The first to tackle him was Jessie and Sam cheering and patting him on the back. Next was Tara who simply smiled and shook his head. Before Ian could ask her what was wrong, she was swept away as the entire Gryffindor house surrounded him. Through it all, Ian managed to Professor McGonnigal's letter to the team captain, Christian Smith, who was both bewildered and grateful.
The crowd was only silenced as a group of Slytherian's sauntered over.

The first thing that went through his mind as he gazed at her was that he had fallen madly in love. He felt as though he could just rip out his heart and hand it to her. Besides her gray cold eyes, he wanted to run his hand through her long white blonde hair.

Jessie's cold voice cut through Ian's trance and when his mind returned to reality, he realized she was beautiful in a horribly cold way.

"Malfoy! What do you want?" Jessie asked as he stepped forward.

Delani Malfoy sneered. "I came over to congratulate Potter. Is that alright with you, Emerson?" her voice was smooth but dripped with venom. She was so perfect yet she was horribly ugly.
Jessie grit his teeth and clenched his fists but said nothing. Ian stepped forward, a foot from her face. "My father may have sent your "daddy" to Azkaban, but mark my words. I know there are more Death Eaters out there, including your mother. I'll be watching you." Ian whispered coldly. All flirtyness and joyfulness had gone from his voice.

Delani stepped forward, only a few inches from his face. He had to hold back every nerve in his body to not kiss her.
She grinned maliciously. "As will I, Potter. Dumbledore may be keeping secrets from your sister and you, but I know what they are and trust me, I can use them against you."

Ian backed away from her and spit at her feet. "Tell your master I'm waiting."

With a mischievous grin, Delani walked away with her "bodyguards" trailing behind.

The Gryffindor's were silent for a few seconds then, as one, they all collapsed into laughter. Jessie, Ian, and Sam sat down at the table ignoring the glares from the Slytherians.

"If you don't beat Slytherian at Quidditch this year, well, I'm going to have to kill you." Sam said with a fake sigh in all seriousness.

Jessie and Ian looked at him with raised eyebrows then all three of them burst into laughing once more.
From that moment on, the three boys were inseparable. Word spread through the school like wildfire that any Slytherian stood no chance against them. They soon became what their grandparents and uncles had long achieved. Hogwarts soul mischief-makers and "must-haves" by the girls. And together, with Jessie's help, they began their three year long journey to becoming Animagus.

Weeks flew by and slowly, a week before Halloween approached. It was a brisk Sunday morning and the three boys were lying in front of the fire playing wizard chess. Ian stared calmly over the chessboard with a crooked smile at Sam who was visibly losing. His hair was standing on end as though he ran his hand through it several hundred times. Sweat rolled down his face and his ice blue eyes were darting all over the board looking for a good move seeing all he had left was a bishop and his king as Ian had both his knights, King and Queen.
There was a crowd watching this intense game that had lasted for little over two hours. Tara and Natalie were on the floor beside Jessie whose brow was frowned in concentration as he watched. Natalie had her eyes locked on Ian in a dreamy sort of _expression. Tara, as well, had a dreamy expression on, but she wasn't staring at one of the three boys. Her thoughts were on what Delani had said.

Every time she got free time to think, it always returned to what she had said. "...Dumbledore may be keeping secrets from your sister and you, but I know what they are and trust me, I will use them against you." What did it all mean? Was it possible Delani was a Death Eater and if so, who was her master?
That last question had popped up in the Order several times. Definitely between Ron and Hermione; who were top Aurors in the Order and Ministry.

Tara's mind switched to her Aunt and Uncle. By now, their son Payton was about eleven months old. He had the Weasley's red hair, but his blue eyes were there to stay.

She was brought out of her thoughts as a loud swear word came from Sam. "Damn you, Ian!" She looked over at Ian and saw a mischievous smile on his face as his Queen beat Sam's King over the head with her chair and chased him off the board. He chuckled and said, "Face it, Sam! You can't beat me! Look at your King!"

Sam stood up and brushed his robes off. "Must you rub it in my face?" he asked coldly.

Ian laughed and wrapped his arm around Sam's shoulder. "Hey, there's no way in hell you're ever going to beat me. Hell, I can't even beat my sister!" He said with a grin.

Everyone turned to look at her and she blushed. "I had a good teacher."

Ian continued. "Besides, my family are the wizard chess champions! It runs in my blood." He gave Sam a sorry look. "Sorry mate." Ian replied with a sigh.

Tara nudged Natalie and together, the two girls left the three boys alone. Tara smirked at Natalie. "Do you like my brother?" Tara asked.

Natalie turned her head sharply and replied non-convincing. "N, no. Why do you think that?"

Tara snickered. "I saw the way you were looking at him."

Natalie blushed and was saved the liberty of answering, a third year boy hurried over to Tara. "Tara! Professor Dumbledore wishes to see you and your brother.” he said.

Natalie and Tara exchanged glances then asked. "Why?"

The boy shrugged. "I don't know. Professor McGonagall just told me to get you."

Tara yelled over her shoulder. “Come on, Ian. Professor Dumbledore wants to see us!”

Ian, Jessie and Sam exchanged glances as well. “You don’t think this has anything to do with the Animagus stuff, do you?” Sam whispered.

Ian shook his head. “Nah. He wouldn’t want to see Tara, too.”

“Yeah. What’s wrong with reading about it?” Jessie asked.

With waving a good-bye, Ian met up with his sister as she was walking out the portrait hole. Tara broke the silence.

“What kind of trouble are you in to get us both in trouble?” she asked coldly.

Ian shrugged. “No idea.” He told her truthfully.

She glared back at him. “Don’t lie to me, Ian.”

He shrugged again. “I swear I don’t know!” he told her innocently.

She stopped and turned to him, pointing a threatening finger at him. “Ian, ever since the first day here, you become ignorant and cocky. You take pride in getting into trouble and think you’re the hottest guy in school. It’s really starting to piss me off.” She snapped. “What’s worse, is that you’ve mastered your lying. Not just to the teachers either. To me! To me, Ian! Your baby sister by two minutes. I don’t know what’s gotten into you. Maybe you’re the reason Mum left.” She told him coldly and turned down the corridor.

Ian felt as though he had been stabbed several times. His heart was already bleeding freely. He ran up to her and grabbed her arm, turning her around. He tried to forget the pain she had just inflicted on him.

“Now you listen to me, Tara. I may be older than you, but I would never lie to you. You know I don’t keep anything from you. We promised each other we’d stick together to find Mum and find some answers about our parents past. Yes, I admit, I may be arrogant and cocky, but I do not believe that I run the school or I’m the ‘hottest’ guy around.” He chuckled. “And if I may say so myself, that would be Sam.”

The first smile spread across Tara’s face and Ian wrapped his arm around her shoulders and walked her down the hallway.

“And, just to inform you. Since I met Jessie and Sam, I know every password and secret passage way in this school.”

She snorted. “I doubt that…”

Ian raised his one eyebrow. “You don’t believe me?”

She turned to him with her hands on her hips. “No! How did you figure all of them out?”

“It’s a secret.” He told her smugly.

Tara rolled her eyes as they approached Dumbledore’s office. Ian stepped up to her and cleared his throat. “Weasley’s Twenty-Four Hour Laughing Taffy.” The gargoyle that covered Dumbledore’s door jumped aside just as Tara’s mouth dropped.

“How, where…” she sputtered.

A smug expression creeped onto Ian’s face. “Told ya.” He sneered at her.

Without answering, Tara began to walk up the spiral staircase. The door closed behind them and they began their trek upwards. They were met with a large oak door and the sound of talking echoed behind it. Tara guessed Dumbledore wanted them to meet someone.

Without hesitation, Ian pushed the door open. But as soon as they walked in, the voices stopped. Tara’s mind reeled. There was no one in the office. The portraits on the walls were fast asleep.

Suddenly, a voice beside them called out. “I don’t believe it! I’m in the past once more!”

Ian turned to the portrait to glare at the man sitting in all Slytherian colors. “What do you want, Phineas?” He spat.

Phineas Nigellus sneered at them. “I’m remember a time when two certain people just like yourselves came in here. A blood traitor and a mudblood.”

Ian started forward, but Tara held him back. “Don’t ever talk about James and Lily again.” Ian hissed.

“That will be quite enough, Phineas!” Dumbledore barked.

Instantly, Ian straightened himself.

Phineas sighed in relief. “Thank goodness you’re here, Dumbledore. This young man was about to tear down my portrait.”

“And a good thing too. You’re getting quite annoying.”

Phineas put on his best-hurt look. “You don’t mean that, Albus! You’ve broken my heart1”

“You don’t have a heart, Phineas. Now go away. To your other portrait will do fine.”

Phineas puffed out his chest in dignity and stomped from his portrait, nose in the air.

Ian turned to Dumbledore. “Why must he be so cruel to us, Professor. He does it all the time at the Order.”

Dumbledore sat down behind his desk. “Phineas is a strange man. Sometimes he can be useful, but other times he’s a pain.”

“He insulted our family!”

“And, yes, he’s annoying…”

Tara stepped forward. “What did you want to talk to us about, Professor?” she asked.

At this, Dumbledore sighed and leaned back in his chair. He indicated the two seats in front of him. “Perhaps you should take a seat…”

Tara and Ian exchanged looks before sitting.

Dumbledore was quiet for a few minutes before he spoke. “There’s been a terrible accident...”

Ian’s stomach dropped somewhere below his navel.

“The Order has been attacked. The Death Eaters were acting under new orders. This time, they destroyed everything. They left no evidence. Two people were taken hostage. All the rest were killed.”

Tears leaked out of Tara’s eyes but she hung her head to hide them. “Who, who were they, sir?” she asked quietly.

Dumbledore looked right into Ian’s eyes. “The two people taken hostage were Remus Lupin and Payton.”

The sobs erupted from Tara before she had time to stop them. Without turning back, she ran. She ran from it all. She didn’t want to know anymore. She didn’t want to believe it. She just wanted to run away from it all. She ran down a corridor she had never seen before. She ran into people, but she kept going. Several yelled at her and tried to curse her. After what felt like hours, she ended in a deserted corridor. She ran down it, her sobs echoing off the walls. When she came to a dead end, she collapsed against the wall and cried.

It began so quickly; she barely had time to react. A pulsing blue light vibrated the room and a low humming began. It gave off a static pulse, which made the hairs on her arms crawl. She sustained her sobs and stood slowly, now fully aware that something wasn’t right. The pulsing and humming got stronger just as a door appeared behind her. Without hesitating, she opened the door and rushed in, slamming it behind her.


Ian watched her go with a feeling of guilt and pity. Tara had always been the emotional one. He could feel the tears welling up inside him, but he kept them down. He wanted some answers.

He turned to Dumbledore. “I want some answers now, Dumbledore. Why are the Death Eaters killing off our family. What are they looking for?”

Dumbledore shook his head. “I’m sorry, Ian. I can’t answer that.”

Ian slammed his fist down on Dumbledore’s desk. “Damn it, Dumbledore! I don’t care! We’re the only ones left! If we’re being hunted, why the hell are they killing us off? What do they want?”

Dumbledore wasn’t at all shocked at Ian’s reaction. He only sighed. “Sit down and I’ll tell you.”

He obeyed.

“Your father was a… gifted man; some say he was cursed, others, lucky. He possessed a power in which only one line of wizards could. The power Godric Gryffindor passed down through the generations. This power, was the power of a mage, a wizard who can conduct powerful magic without a wand or an incantation. This form of magic is so rare, it’s very powerful. So powerful, even, it can stop Avada Kedevra. Do you feel a pulsing around you?” he asked him.

Ian nodded. “I’ve always felt it.”

“Good. That’s the power you and your sister share. It appears when you’re angry. That’s when it’s most powerful. You and your sister are the last remaining of Godric Gryffindor’s line. The last of the legacy of mages.”