Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Conflict by grangergurl

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Thanks to mugglegurl my beta, and I'm sorry to all my Joshie fans.
Harry glared at the lid of his son’s coffin which possessed breath-taking beauty. Elves and unicorns, and many other magical creatures that also adorned the door to the Potters’ room. Yes, Harry had certainly spent a bundle of money for the small box, but Harry loved his son, too. As Harry stood and stared at the coffin, a tear trickled down his cheek, until he was pulled onto a chair in the Ministry of Magic by Ginny, and the funeral for Joshua Thomas Potter began.

“We have all been contemplating the loss of the young Joshua Potter. He was full of love, laughter, and joy. Some of you may have been graced with his presence. For those of you who haven’t, you will never know what you missed. I had the privilege of meeting this young man, and he didn’t deserve to die. We see people today, taking their own lives, but Joshua loved life. He loved his family, and we will miss him dearly. The time is now yours to say goodbye to Joshua Potter, and perhaps a few of you will express your feelings, and reflect on treasured moments you had with this beautiful baby boy,” Ernie Macmillan, Minister of Magic, closed with these words, and then sat down solemnly.

Fred and George wrestled to be the first to speak, and George won. He walked slowly up to the podium before beginning. “Josh was my nephew, but I loved…love him like a son. I don’t think anyone understood me better, except maybe Fred,” George smiled at his twin before continuing, “Anybody who has been to Diagon Alley and entered our humble shop would have seen Joshua playing with our inventions, even recommending some of them.” George paused for a moment, and then chuckled at the memory of Joshua throwing Skiving Snackboxes at a few of the customers. “He was…is…my only nephew. He deeply loved life, and he certainly shouldn’t have…didn’t deserve to die. The person who murdered him, Draco Malfoy,” a few people gasped, “…is the lowest you could get, killing a child, nay, an infant. Joshua taught…teaches…an important lesson. The lesson is to cherish what you have, because in a few moments, it could be lost. One moment, Joshua was relieved to see his father alive, celebrating and giggling. The next, he was dead in my sister’s arms.” Ginny burst out crying, and Harry, sobbing as well, comforted her.

George continued slowly but surely, “Life is what we make it, and Joshie made it the best. There isn’t anyone who loved life more, yet his was deprived of him. There will always be somebody that will attempt to put you down, or hurt your feelings. Don’t give in. Don’t kill yourself like we see people doing today. It would be a disgrace to Joshua’s memory, because you didn’t ignore the offender. You gave in, and Josh wouldn’t have wanted that.” George gasped at his use of past-tense. Joshua’s death finally hit him like a sword in the heart, and for the first time in his life, a small tear trickled down George’s cheek.

He nodded his closing at sank back into his chair. Fred, to everyone’s surprise, was also crying, and he didn’t get up. George didn’t protest, though. He was to busy resisting the urge to run out of the Ministry.

Neville got up instead. He, too, was sobbing. He struggled to walk up to the podium, but he finally made it. “It’s all my fault,” he sobbed, “If I had killed Bellatrix Lestrange like I should have, before Harry saw her, he wouldn’t have taken so long to get back to the house, so Ginny and Joshua would have had more time to go back into hiding.” Neville was bawling, shoulders shaking with sobs. “I’m so sorry, Harry.” And without commenting on Joshua, he sat back down.

Harry was next to get up. “It’s not your fault Neville, it’s mine. I should have trusted that you could have killed Bellatrix on your own. I’m sorry I underestimated you. Joshua didn’t deserve death. Nobody deserves death, well, at least no good person. Draco Malfoy should have died in his place, and I hope that Joshua’s big, beautiful brown eyes will haunt him forever.” Harry hurried to sit back down. Ginny, who was sobbing beyond comprehension, got up.

“My baby…my baby boy,” Ginny sobbed, glaring at the coffin that enclosed her son. “Nobody deserves to live more than him, nobody. He…he died with a smile on his face, loving life, but embracing death with happiness. The only time I think he ever cried,” Ginny paused to take a deep breath, “Was when he was eager to see his family. He never complained, always laughing. I think the last time he laughed was when he was…when he was hugging his…” Ginny broke off before continuing through her tears, “Hugging his daddy. Joshua loved everyone. I’m sure that if he didn’t die, he would be hugging his enemies, and giggling with Dementors,” Ginny laughed at old memories of her son. She shook her head, pulled back into reality. “He…he should have been here. Should…should anybody have a child after this, treasure them. Hold them close, for they could be lost at any time.” She, like Harry, hurried to sit down.

After Luna, Hermione, Ron, Molly, Remus, Arthur, Mad-Eye, and Tonks had all spoken, it was time to say goodbye. Ginny got up first and took her time. She rubbed the coffin’s lid, tears spilling down her cheeks. One tear fell astray, staining the coffin forever. She smiled at the designs and frowned at the picture of him on top of the coffin. It was a picture of Joshua when he was somber and quiet. “That’s not like him at all!” With a wave of her wand, a picture of Joshua eating the wedding cake replaced the old one, emitting giggles from many in the audience. Harry said a short goodbye, and so did Neville, George, Luna, Molly, and the rest, except for Fred. He was the last in line, and he was still there when everyone had left. His tears, along with Ginny’s, stained the beautiful lid.

He smiled at the moving picture, and walked away, but not before patting the lid and saying, “Goodbye, buddy.”

Bye-bye Uncle Fwed…