Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Fragile Memory by secret_lover

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: I OWN HARRY POTTER (or in this case Hermione and Ron)... in my dreams that is, so anything you recognize belongs to Jo. Thank you! Deidre, however, is a figment of my imagination; but she will only be here for a short while. Lather, Rinse & Repeat!:D


On this crisp November evening, a young woman of about twenty-one with bushy brown hair stared out into the fog that surrounded the house she shared with her sister. Her hands were deep in the rapidly cooling soapy, dishwater in the empty kitchen sink in front of her. Her mind was elsewhere; this was evident to the woman’s sister who stood behind her. Deidre Granger had straight dark brown hair with natural and artificial highlights, miles of legs and the same bucked teeth her sister one had. She stepped behind her sister and placed a delicately shaped hand at the small of Hermione's back. The bushy haired girl jumped slightly and turned around, water flying everywhere.



“Oh! It's just you. For some reason I am a bit jumpy today. I feel as though something is going to go terribly wrong!” admonished Hermione as she looked at her feet. “Look at the mess I made. Don't you wish that you could flick your wrist and the whole thing would disappear?”




“I wish you could,” Deidre smiled sadly, giving her sister a gentle hug.

“Don't you worry, Dee. I will find another job. I always do!” said Hermione misinterpreting her sister's hug. “Now let me clean this mess up and then we can watch that movie.”




Deidre began to smile in sad agreement when she spotted a snowy owl outside the window with a roll of parchment tied to its leg. “No. The mess was my fault. I scared you. I'll clean it up. You go get changed; you have water all over you! I'll meet you in the living room in a few!” Deidre offered a small smile. The look on her sister's face told her that Hermione knew something was up, but she headed upstairs and to her room anyway. Deidre was shocked that Hermione hadn't bothered to argue or adopt her usual bossy tone. That showed how worried Hermione was. She decided that she would clean after she dispensed of the animal. So she crossed to the window and let the owl in. It lifted its leg out to her and she promptly removed the scroll. 'Deidre Granger' was written up the side. She broke the seal and began to read:




'Dear Deidre,




She is in grave danger. We have to protect her. There is no way around it; she has to return to where she belongs. What we are about to ask of her would be hard for anyone, but you know as well as I that she is strong and will be able to cope. I know you think it is too soon, but unless you rather she be dead, the time is now. They will not wait any longer and I for one will not sit around and wait until it is too late. So, will you let her return home? If yes, send a reply with Hedwig and I will be by to get her. If no, send a reply with Hedwig and I will be by to get her anyway.




My condolences.'





For that last three years Deidre had watched her sister struggle from crap job to crap job. It wasn't as though Hermione couldn't do the work, but rather when she became upset weird things would happen: windows would shatter, lights would flicker, once a man had even caught fire. Though no one, except for Deidre and her parents, knew why these things happened and Hermione would be released from her position. Maybe this will jump-start her memory, and she can finally return to normal, Deidre thought, twirling her hair around her finger and biting her lower lip. The owl, which had perched herself near the sink, hooted happily in response. Deidre wrote a hasty 'fine' across the bottom of the parchment and retied the scroll to the owl's leg, deciding she would face her sister tomorrow, and have this last night to herself, without any worries.




She let the owl out the window and set about cleaning the spilled water off of the floor. When she was through she looked around the small kitchen, but instead of seeing what was truly there she saw what Hermione should have had. Her sister should have been living in a small flat in London, or a nice house in the country. She should have had a boyfriend, or a husband and a baby. She should have had the support of a few best friends. She should have had a wand, an owl, a secret, she should have had what was once hers. Letting a sole tear escape for her sister's broken past, she set off to rejoin Hermione for the last night of life as they knew it.










Just a few miles away in front of a dirty old pub sat a young man wearing a black cloak, his face hidden from view and his right hand concealed. He was impatiently muttering to himself; something like “ Bloody Americans,” and scanning the sky. His incoherent mumblings continued until an owl swooped down from the night's sky and perched on the arm of the bench. Her white feathers reflected the fog and there was a scroll of parchment tied to her leg, which she held up to the man. He reached for the parchment and released it. He smiled when he read the scribbled “Fine” at the bottom of the page.




Well at least she didn't say 'No', he thought to himself. That would make things harder, much harder.

“Hedwig,” he said turning to the owl. “Go home.” At her mournful hoot the mysterious man reached over to ruffle the owl's feathers. She then flew into the fog and disappeared from sight. The man watched her go, almost wishing he could go home as well. He didn't delight in tearing apart families.




The man then reached under the bench and pulled out a broomstick that had been hidden there. He mounted and flew into the night and thought to himself, The least I could do is give them more time together, before I turn their whole world upside-down. He hated himself for what he had to do but still couldn't stifle the excitement bubbling in his stomach.





Hermione sat in the living room of the house she shared with her nineteen-year-old sister, watching a new Jim Carey comedy. She knew that something was up with Deidre but tonight didn't seem like the time to ask what. Deidre never let her out of her line of sight, and made sure that Hermione was always within touching distance. Her sister looked forlorn and melancholy, a bit like the world was going to end. Hermione didn't know what she was going to do about her job, or lack-there-of, but tonight was not the night to worry. Something was bound to turn up, it always did.




About twenty minutes into the movie there was a knock at the door. Deidre shot a worried look at it, as if willing the person who knocked to go away. Hermione wondered why. Deidre usually loved having people over and often invited complete strangers inside. Some very odd strangers, Hermione thought, remembering the balding red haired man dressed in pinstriped pants and an old bomber jacket, who hadn't known the correct pronunciation of normal things like “electricity” or “telephone”.




Both girls stood to walk to the door but Deidre got there first. Hermione watched from behind when Deidre opened the door. At first it looked as though no one was there, but then there was a shuffling sound and a hoarse male voice said, “Hermione.” From out of the fog stepped a red haired, blue eyed, tall and lanky young man. Hermione's breath caught in her chest as she stared up into the face that lurked in her dreams.

A/N: Ok so the next chapter is called Presents. In this chapter Ron gives Hermione three presents... if anyone can guess the three i will give them an uber fabuloso prize...the next chapter!!! YAY!!!... yes this a shameless bribe to get you guys to review!!!:)