Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

To Find the Truth by hopelesslyhopeful

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Here it is guys! This isn't a finished story yet so please be patient with me. Please read and review...you know how much I love to hear from you all! And thanks to Moony 62442 for being my beta...you're awesome!
Ch. 1: The Potters’ Return to Hogwarts



The sunlight pouring through the curtains pierced my eyelids. I rolled over, groaning at my unavoidable doom. I was going to have to get up and face this day sooner or later, but I chose later and pulled the covers over my head.



“Lily, get up! Breakfast is ready!” my mum called from downstairs.



I groaned again. I didn’t want to get out of bed; I didn’t want to go eat breakfast with my family. I wanted to stay in bed and admire my beautiful quilt…from underneath it.



“Lily, honey, you need to get up,” my dad said, opening my bedroom door. “We have to leave in just over an hour.”



I didn’t move but I heard him approach my bed and felt the mattress sag when he sat down by my feet.



“Lily?” he asked, resting his big hand on my small shoulder.



I sighed and removed my head from beneath my quilt. “I don’t want to go,” I told him.



He nodded his head. I knew he understood, but he was still making me go, causing me to be very angry with him.



“Do you want to talk about it?” he asked.



I shook my head. “No, not right now and not with you,” I said, sliding my feet up to push him away.



He looked hurt when he stood up, but I didn’t apologize. I just watched him walk out of my room and shut the door.



Before I come across as a complete prat, let me attempt to explain. My name is Lily, well, Lillian Ginevra Potter to be exact. My whole life has been overshadowed by my parents’ past accomplishments that my brothers and I know little about. I think that’s mostly because most of their stories revolve around the Final War and Mum and Dad don’t really like talking about it. Honestly, can you blame them?



Being the child of a family full (and I mean FULL) of heroes can be very…different. I’m not a big fan of public appearances or strangers shaking my hand. Usually, I spend my time with my family or in my room. One might consider me isolated, but I don’t. The bad news is that I can’t hide out anymore. Today I will be leaving to go to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, the same institution most of my relatives have attended in the past or are currently attending.



“Lillian Ginevra Potter, if you want to eat before we go, you’d best get down here now!” Mum’s voice shrieked.



Sighing in defeat, I walked down to the kitchen where I found my parents and brothers in the middle of breakfast. Sirius, the oldest, is thirteen and absolutely loves going to Hogwarts. He is popular due to the Potter name, his Quidditch talent, and his shaggy red hair and green eyes that got him attention from the female population. Sirius loves attention and goes out of his way to get large amounts of it, no matter how much the people around him beg him to stop. Brian is twelve and he can normally be found behind a book. He spends most of his time immersed in books, so people tend to ignore him unless they need homework help. Occasionally, he is more than willing to participate in some prank Siri and I pull, but I doubt he’s that way at school. Then there’s Cedric, the baby at nine. He had tears in his eyes and his sulky attitude did little to cheer me up.



“Lily, it’s not going to be so bad. After the first week or so, people will lose interest unless you invoke it,” Brian said, turning a page in his book.



“Uh huh,” I mumbled, pushing my eggs around.



“Honey, please don’t pout. You’ve got Uncle Bill, Aunt Fleur, and Aunt Hermione there to help you cope. And Neville is teaching now, too, so that will be nice,” Mum said, smiling.



“Great, Mum. It’s not enough that I’m a Potter, so I have to be related to half the staff too,” I said, purposely throwing thick amounts of sarcasm into my voice.



“Harry, maybe you should tell them now. I don’t think they should leave unaware,” Mum whispered in my father’s ear.



None of the boys heard her but I did. I felt dread sink in. “Tell us what?” I asked, standing up.



“Lils, please sit down,” Dad told me, using that soft yet stern tone he possessed. “I know you are all aware I’ve left my job at the Ministry. After much consideration, I have decided to teach Defense Against the Dark Arts this year.”



As Sirius and Brian questioned Dad, I went upstairs to get my stuff. I didn’t feel the same desire to rejoice in the moment.



***



As soon as the train began moving, Sirius stood up. “I’m going to go find people,” he said simply.



“What about you?” I asked Brian as Sirius left.



“I’m not leaving,” he said, getting comfortable with another book.



I began fidgeting in my seat out of boredom. Brian doesn’t talk much, which can be a bit annoying when he’s the only other person in the compartment, or room, or whatever.



“Molly, Sarah, and James will be along soon,” he said.



Molly and Sarah Weasley are Uncle Fred and Aunt Calli’s kids. Molly is a second year, but Sarah’s starting her first year, too, and I plan on clinging to her for life support. James isn’t exactly a blood relative, but his parents are really close with mine. They all fought together in the War and his dad knew my grandfather…weird, I know. James has an older brother, Seamus, who goes to school in America. According to Seamus, the peer pressure to excel isn’t nearly as great as it is at Hogwarts. I just think he wants to be alone. James is a second year too.



The compartment door flew open and Katy and Jacob wandered in. They’re my Uncle Charlie and Aunt Margaret’s kids. Katy is a seventh year and Jacob is a fourth, their older brother, Kevin, is currently in America with my cousin, Lydia; they’re both Aurors.



“Hey guys,” Katy said, sitting down next to me.



“Hi,” I mumbled.



“Dad told us this morning about Uncle Harry. I bet you took that well,” she said, cocking an eyebrow.



I was saved from responding by the door opening again.



“We raided the trolley on the way,” Siri said, dumping sweets onto the seat. “She seemed a bit surprised to see us.”



“We’re going to get sick if we eat all that,” James said as he, Sarah, and Molly entered.



I watched as the occupants of the compartment began feasting on the sweets.



“Lils, don’t you want any?” Sarah asked.



“No. I think I might throw up later if I eat right now,” I said, honestly.



“You two haven’t been sorted yet!” Jake said, laughing.



“Hopefully, they’ll be in Gryffindor like most of us,” James said, casting a look at Katy, Brian, and Molly.



“Hey! I’m still part of the ‘us’!” Katy said, smacking James in the arm.



“Indeed, Katy. We shouldn’t be ashamed of being in Ravenclaw. It means we’re smart,” Brain said, setting down his book.



“Ravenclaw isn’t as bad as Hufflepuff,” Siri said with a chuckle.



“I resent that!” Molly said, hurling a Cauldron Cake at his head.



I laughed with everyone and went over by Sirius. “Siri, if I’m not in Gryffindor, will you be mad?” I asked.



Despite the fact that I hated his desire for attention, the two of us were still really close. Truthfully, I was scared of being away from him. Sirius offered a greater sense of comfort and protection than Brian, not to mention fun, and I just knew I’d need him more.



“Nah, it won’t bother me. I’m pretty sure you will get in, though; you’re just like Mum, you know,” he said, smirking.



I knew he was right, but I still hit him in the arm and said, “I am not, prat!”



“Case and point,” James mumbled.



The train started to slow down, so everyone went back to their own compartments to change. As the snail pace turned into a dead stop, I drew a deep breath and followed my brothers out of the door.



I found Sarah on the platform and the two of us huddled together with the other confused first years. Every other person I knew had long disappeared and fear was becoming harder to ignore.



“First years! All first years, come this way!”



The familiarity of the voice brought me an enormous rush of relief and Sarah and I rushed to Aunt Hermione. She smiled at us and gestured towards a fleet of awaiting boats. Sarah and I climbed in with two other girls.



“Hi, I’m Michelle Bones and this is Tami McMillian,” Michelle said.



“Sarah Weasley and Lily Potter,” Sarah said, pointing to her and me.



The two girls’ eyes grew wide with excitement and Tami was just about to open her mouth when the boats began moving. We quickly sat down and gazed in awe at the approaching sight of Hogwarts.



It was more beautiful than I had ever imagined and all the explanations I have heard over the course of my life did not do the castle justice. Hundreds of windows glowed in the distance, guiding us to our destination. The enormous size was a bit overwhelming with the many towers pointing into the sky all along the horizon. I admitted to myself at that moment that I was going to get lost on a daily basis, and I hate getting lost. The closer we came, the more magic I could feel surrounding us and it felt so strong! I realized at that point this was the most magical, most majestic, most enchanting place I would ever enter.



“Wow!” was all I managed to say.



***



After a brief explanation of how the Sorting worked, Aunt Hermione pushed open two great doors and revealed the largest room I had ever seen. I had no time to take in the room’s beauty, due to the fact that hundreds of faces were watching us walk in.



I saw the majority of my family sitting together at one table, Molly at another, and Katy and Brian at yet another. I swallowed nervously. Would I have someone to sit with? Could I talk to people who didn’t sit at the same table?



We were right in front of the Head Table now. I saw Uncle Bill, Aunt Fleur, and Neville, but my dad was missing. Why wasn’t he here yet? I wanted him to watch me get Sorted, since I’d be the first one of his kids he’d get to watch go through it. Maybe I shouldn’t have made such a big deal about him accepting a position here. I was just so nervous this morning that my temper was much easier to access. It’s not like I didn’t want him here!



“Lily Potter,” Aunt Hermione said, causing me to jump and focus on her.



“What?” I asked. I had no idea what was going on and the quiet laughter from the mass behind me only embarrassed me.



Hermione pointed at the Hat on the stool. I sat down and let the Hat fall over my eyes, having no idea what would happen next.



“Hmm…another Potter, I see. Lots of bravery, that’s for sure. I see a large about of Weasley loyalty in you, too. This is very easy, dear! GRYFFINDOR!”



Stunned at the oddness of the Hat’s comments, I slid off the stool and sprinted to the table, where the majority of my family were standing and cheering.