Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

To Find the Truth by hopelesslyhopeful

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Here it is...I hope you enjoy. I'm so sorry that it took so long but with my new job and now i'm moving next weekend (which I'm really, REALLY excited for...sarcasm intended) things are getting a bit hectic. But I give you this and hope you all enjoy!
Ch. 13 The Burrow

Oh, how I love going to the Burrow! In my mind there is nothing closer to perfection than the homey atmosphere and Gran’s cooking. She’s an enthusiastic old woman, my Gran. I could weigh three hundred pounds and she would still insist I was underfed. Now that I think about it, I probably gained thirty pounds since I’ve been here.

Christmas is always fun in my family. The adults visit and the kids pull pranks and bond. On Christmas Eve, Siri put a Sticking Charm on Dad’s chair, which was really entertaining. I don’t know when but sometime between Dad attempting to pry himself off the chair and sticking his wand under his bum to release the hex, I started to forgive him. It’s really hard to act cold towards a man who’s vulnerable to the pranks of his own children and still a good sport about it. He even complimented Siri on his hexing strength and laughed along with everyone else at his predicament. I guess it’s just difficult to harbor anger towards a good man and my father is as good as they come.

Mack arrived the day after Christmas to stay with us for the remainder of holidays. Mack didn’t have a Gran since both had died before she was born. When Gran found this out, she immediately claimed Mack as her own. This didn’t surprise me at all, that’s just the way Gran is; she’d claim you whether you were available or not. What caught my attention was when (a slightly drunk) Uncle Fred said, “Just like you, Harry!” and the adults all laughed. The remark just seemed to stick with me and I couldn’t let it go. I can’t explain why but Siri agreed with me and we decided a bit of investigating was in order.

“So what should we do?” Sarah asked.

We were all sitting in the den, the adults were visiting in the kitchen which gave us plenty of time to discuss our options.

“I really wish I knew who the actual Seer was that delivered the Prophecy concerning Dad. I don’t think Dumbledore could tell us much even if he wanted to. He is just a painting now after all, there’s only so much he can remember and talk about,” I said.

“That would be nice,” James agreed.

Suddenly, the fireplace erupted and the face of Kingsley Shacklebot was practically in Jake’s lap.

“Hey, Kingsley!” Sarah and I said.

“Girls, where are your fathers?” he asked.

“Kitchen,” Sarah simply stated.

“Fetch them for me please,” he said, causing Sarah to leave the room quickly.

“James, is your mother here?” Kingsley asked, the image of his head turning to face us.

“I’ll get her,” Seamus said in an almost bored voice.

Uncle Fred and Dad came into the room. Sarah must not have told them Kingsley was waiting for them because Uncle Fred’s face lit up at the same time Dad’s paled.

“Kingsley ol’ boy! Why not come through and join us?” Fred suggested.

“Kids, please go into the kitchen,” Dad said, sternly.

Reluctantly we all exited the den and headed back to the kitchen. It took me a moment to realize the tone between the adults had shifted dramatically. Previously we could hear laughter and small bits of enthusiastic conversation, now it was almost deathly silent. Tonks pushed by us without a word, which was unusual for her and Gran seemed to be pale and jumpy. Mum and Aunt Hermione were sharing glances over the table and Uncle Ron was gripping his tea mug so tightly that his knuckles were turning white.

“What’s going on?” I asked, feeling the hairs on the back of my neck stand up in awareness.

“You kids hungry at all? I could conjure up something quick for you!” Gran offered, practically bolting out of her chair.

“Maddie, can you please ask your mother if the kids can stay with her for the night? Your father’s on his way over already,” Aunt Hermione asked.

Maddie simply nodded and Apparated back to the Longbottom’s flat.

“Mum? What’s wrong?” I asked again. I grabbed Sarah’s hand. The tones of the voices, the facial expressions and the sudden shift of the mood really unsettled me.

My mother decided to ignore me again and was whispering with Charlie. Gran placed a plate of biscuits on the table and Jake, Seamus and Siri dived right in…so typically unaware of the situation. James, Sarah, Molly, Bry and I just watched as the kitchen atmosphere became more foreign to us.

“Mum?” Sarah said, dropping my hand and going to her mother.

Aunt Calli forced a smile. “Why don’t you kids go play in the basement?” she suggested.

“Great idea!” Uncle Ron suddenly said, trying to herd us downstairs. We didn’t share his excitement and held our ground.

I was frightened for the first time ever in this place. Uncle Ron was arguing with both James and Molly and Sarah was squeezing my hand again and biting her lip. Gran, Mum, Aunt Hermione and Aunt Calli were wearing grim expressions and whispering frantically. Uncle Charlie and Aunt Margaret were arguing with Lydia and Kevin about something.

There was so much conversation going on that the room seemed to radiate a dull hum. I couldn’t pick up anything anyone was saying and my stomach suddenly began to feel quite uncomfortable. Oh no, I thought. My breathing was getting fast and shallow which only made me more nervous, making the whole situation worse.

“Lily?” Sarah asked.

Please not now, please not now! I pleaded with myself.

“Lily!”

“No, no, no!” I screamed, closing my eyes.

“What’s going on?”

“Sarah, what’s wrong with her?”

“Sit her down!”

Breathe, Lily, just breathe.

A dark hooded figure was walking toward me.

Deep breath; inhale, then exhale, Lily. I tried to coax myself into a state of calm which would hopefully keep the vision from continuing. Unfortunately, I have no control over any vision once it shows itself to me.

The head was bowed, the footsteps were a slow, steady pace.

Inhale.

I saw it all in tunnel vision as the person headed towards me; then a wand was raised.

Exhale.

“Lily! Lily, can you hear me?”

“Open your eyes, Lillian!”

Where was the old woman? She always pulled me out when she could sense my fear. I was frightened; I didn’t want to see any of this anymore. She needed to pull me out now!

“Lily!”

Inhale.

“I am coming,” a voice whispered. “I am coming to finish it! They know I’m coming, child, just you wait!” The voice was cold and menacing…it was a voice that I had never heard before but would hear countless times after this night.

Exhale.

And then the mysterious person’s head lifted to reveal a pair of dark brown eyes set in feminine facial features.

Inhale.

“Soon! We will meet soon!”

Exhale.

“Lily!”

Inhale.

“I’m alright,” I finally whispered, keeping my eyes closed.

Exhale.

“What happened?” Sarah whispered.

Inhale.

“What did you see, Lily?” Dad asked.

My eyes shot open and I pierced him with a gaze. “Who’s coming?” I asked, my voice barely above a whisper.

Every adult’s face paled at my question. After a moment spent gazing at me with curiosity, Dad simply motion for everyone to sit down. It was then I noticed numerous urgent letters bearing the Order seal suddenly littering the table. Something big was happening and I had a dreadful feeling that the woman in my vision had something to do with it.

Exhale.
**
Gran served us all some rather strong tea as everyone attempted to regain some type of composure. Mum was subconsciously stroking my hair and I found myself calming down slowly.

Dad was sharing meaningful glances with Uncle Ron and Aunt Hermione and I was suddenly struck by how close the three of them are. They seemed to be having a wordless conversation and I was jealous and amazed by the subtle changes in their expressions along with small movements, and how they were able to understand every one of them. I had no idea what they were silently discussing, but I could tell all three of them were determined about something.

“Who is she, Dad?” I asked.

If it was at all possible for the tension in the room to increase, it did.

“I don’t know what you saw so I can’t answer that question, Lily,” he said, softly.

“I don’t know who she was Dad. All I saw were brown eyes, but I know it was a woman,” I said, shuddering at the recollection.

Dad simply held my gaze for a moment longer and then wordlessly turned to Ron and Hermione.

“Right, let’s give the Potter family some time alone to discuss some things,” Uncle Ron said as he and Aunt Hermione ushered everyone out.

Mum got up and moved to sit next to Dad and Siri and Bry moved to either side of me. As Bry grabbed my hand and squeezed, I realized how exhausted I truly was. I laid my head on Siri’s shoulder and watched Mum and Dad expectantly.

Mum squeezed Dad’s hand and whispered something in his ear. He nodded as a frown formed on his face. I watched him swallow a few times before looking at my brothers and me.

“Kids, I think it’s time I tell you a bit more about Bellatrix Lestrange,” he whispered.

I jerked my head up as Siri and Bry gazed at Dad in shock. “Why?” I asked, mentally scolding myself for questioning free information.

“Because she’s escaped from Azkaban tonight,” he said.

“WHAT?” Siri, Bry and I yelled together.

“And she left a message in her cell,” Dad whispered.

My head was swimming and I knew exactly what Dad was going to say.

“It simply said - ”

“I’m coming,” I finished for him.

He nodded in confirmation.

“You know, Lils, you’re starting to really frighten me with this whole Seeing thing,” Siri said with a half smile.

“If it makes you feel better, Siri, it bloody terrifies me,” Dad said, returning the half smile.
**

I dropped my head and avoided their gazes simply because I was unsure how to react. I knew that no one was angry with me, but that didn’t prevent me from feeling…exposed and different from those around me.

“As you kids know, Bellatrix was an avid Voldemort supporter and Death Eater. After Voldemort was defeated, Uncle Remus, Aunt Tonks and I went searching for her. There was another man with us too, his name was Seamus Finnegan and he was murdered,” Dad said.

“Seamus?” Bry said, cocking an eyebrow.

“Yes, Brian. Your Aunt Tonks was pregnant with your cousin Seamus at the time,” Mum explained.

“Sweet Merlin,” Siri whispered.

“We were all captured and Bellatrix’s goal was to kill everyone who played a part in Voldemort’s downfall. This obviously included your mother and me,” Dad said, quietly.

I felt tears well up and Mum and Dad moved down the table to us. Dad picked me up and sat me on his lap, just like he used to do when I was little. Mum sat between Siri and Bry, pulling them close to her and kissing their heads in comfort.

“I don’t think I need to point out that her plan failed,” Dad said.

I chuckled half heartedly and leaned my head against Dad’s chest, allowing the rhythm of his heartbeat to soothe me.

“Your father and Neville both have personal vendettas against Bellatrix, which she is well aware of,” Mum explained.

“What does vendetta mean?” I asked.

“It means that I have made it my mission to see that Bellatrix Lestrange suffers the same amount of pain she has caused numerous people,” Dad explained, his voice getting that icy tone again.

“Harry, maybe you should explain why,” Mum said in a soothing voice.

Dad sighed heavily, causing me to pull my head back and watch him. His face was pale but his cheeks were growing pink. His green eyes seemed to be on fire and his mouth was set in a frown.

“I had the unfortunate opportunity of watching Bellatrix murder someone very dear to me, my Godfather, who was also her cousin,”

“You’re not serious,” Brian said.

“No, I am,” Siri said, causing Dad to smile.

“Yes, Brian, I happen to be very much so,” Dad replied.

“When did this happen,” I asked. I had never heard Dad speak about his godfather before.

“At a battle at the Ministry,” Dad said.

“Kids, we’re telling you about Bellatrix because she is a dangerous person, despite her age and physical state. We just want you to be aware and tell us if you notice anything out of the ordinary right away,” Mum said, seriously.

I didn’t notice that I had started trembling until Dad’s arms pulled me closer to his chest. A sudden wave of understanding washed over me. The way Siri, Bry and I were reacting to this bit of information was probably exactly what Mum and Dad were expecting. I was terrified to an extent I didn’t know I was capable of. I didn’t want Dad to let me go. I wanted to stay right here, in this safe place, until all of the evil disappeared.

“Are you kids okay?” Dad asked. I suddenly realized none of us had said anything in quite awhile.

I didn’t respond simply because I wasn’t sure if I could. I think Siri and Bry felt the same way. Dad squeezed me tightly and kissed the top of my head. “I promise I won’t let anything happen to any of you, believe me,” he said.

I was still terrified. Was it because some mad old witch was coming to hurt my family? Or simply because I feared I may soon be having new visions that would possibly cause me more terror than anything I’ve ever seen?