Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

To Find the Truth by hopelesslyhopeful

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Here it is. Sorry for the long wait, I've been really busy with work and it took forever for me to type this chapter. I hope you all enjoy it and please leave a review!
Ch. 19 The Professor and the House-Elf



I couldn’t stop crying. The image of Draco’s badly beaten face was seared into my mind and I kept seeing him whether my eyes were open or closed. My body was shaking from my sobs and I wished my mum was able to come here to comfort me, even though I knew that was out of the question. She was probably halfway to Draco’s location by now because he needed her help more than I did.



I couldn’t bring myself to go back upstairs; I didn’t have the strength to make it that far. I settled for curling up on the rug in front of the fire and just letting my tears drench my face and t-shirt.



“Lily?”



My heart leapt at the sound of my big brother’s voice. I forgot how angry he had made me, forgot that we weren’t speaking and that I hated his stupid girlfriend. In that moment I forgot about everything and just let go.



“Siri!” I cried, a sob escaping me as his name left my lips.



He ran over and crouched down by my face. I could barely see his green eyes through my tears but I knew he would be concerned.



“Oh, Lily, what’s wrong?” he asked pulling me up and holding me to him. “Did you see something bad?”



I couldn’t force my mouth to form words so I just tightened my grip around his neck. I could feel his head moving from left to right as if he was looking for something and then he nudged my face away from his chest so he could talk to me.



“It’s okay, I’ll get Mum. I’ll Floo her right now, okay?” he said.



I shook my head back and forth so quickly I ended up hitting his chin rather hard. “She’s…not there,” I whispered.



“Is she at The Burrow?” he asked softly.



I shook my head again and sighed. I sniffled a few more times and then Siri lifted me up and put me on the couch. He walked away and returned with a blanket which he used to drape over me.



“Better?” he asked, tucking the corners of the blanket behind my shoulders.



I nodded and took a few more calming breaths. Siri was watching me with a mixture of fear and pity and for once, that expression didn’t bother me. He was a source of comfort to me right now and he was also someone who will always believe me, no matter what the circumstances may be.



“I found Draco,” I confessed, my voice coming out much louder than I had anticipated.



Siri’s face went white and he visibly gulped, but he nodded and patted my arm. “Okay, why don’t you start from the beginning,” he suggested, grabbing my hand and sitting back against the couch.



I drew a deep breath and started talking. I told Siri everything that had happened since I last saw him. He just listened without interrupting, which made it much easier for me to get through the entire story. He sat there with his pale face and his brow furrowed with an expression of pure concentration. It made me feel better to know he was taking this situation so seriously and he’d figure out a way to make me feel better.



“Let’s go talk to Abby,” he said after I had finished.



“What?” I asked, my head snapping up. I had been lying back against the arm of the couch with the pillow curled against my chest as I had been speaking, but Siri’s solution made me change my position.



“You should tell Abby,” he repeated.



I shook my head and fell back down against the cushions. I didn’t want to deal with that awkward conversation.



“She needs to know her dad is okay, Lily,” he said, standing up.



“I “ I “ don’t…” I began, but he cut me off. His expression was similar to Dad’s when his mind was made up, of course I wasn’t going to tell Siri that, it would only make him feel more authoritative.



“Look, if it was our dad and someone knew where he was, wouldn’t you want to know?” he asked.



I briefly thought about pointing out that if Dad was missing I would most likely be the person to know where he could be found. Instead I sighed and nodded in defeat. “I’m just really tired now and you need to rest, Quidditch is tomorrow,” I said, sitting up.



For a moment, I thought I had convinced him to put off going to visit Abby until after the match. Then he suddenly shook his head and his face returned to that determined expression. “I’ll carry you to her office, that way you won’t have to waste your energy. You can hop on my back. As for Quidditch, I can beat Ravenclaw with my eyes closed. Any other excuses I have to counter?”



I shook my head and Siri crouched down in front of me, pulling my arms over his shoulders. I was careful not to choke him as I swung my legs around his waist. “Hang on then,” he advised before standing up.



He awkwardly climbed through the portrait hole with me on his back, the Fat Lady made no comment about our leaving or our appearance for which I was grateful. As we wandered through the corridors to Abby’s office I couldn’t help but smile and once again, feel at ease. I was eight years old again and we were running through the meadow near our house. My grip on Siri’s neck actually brought me a level of comfort I didn’t expect. I could almost hear Ced and Bry yelling for us to wait up, there was a hint of Mum’s cooking in the air and a nearly tangible excitement of being first to see Dad getting home from work. I felt lighter and I almost giggled…until Siri stopped outside Abby’s office door. He didn’t even ask if I was ready, he just knocked and didn’t put me down, which prevented me from bolting back to the Common Room and leaving him to explain the situation (an action I was contemplating).



The door flew open before Siri had even pulled his hand away. Abby’s face showed mild surprise but she let us in with a small smile. The fact that she didn’t ask right away what we were doing and instead just let us in led me to believe she already knew something was up.



“So, what brings two young Potters to my office?” she asked as she sat down. Her voice was low and scratchy rather than its usual smooth, silky tone. I also noticed her eyes were slightly red and puffy which meant she was probably crying before Siri and I knocked.



“I found your dad but I think you already know that,” I said without looking at her.



“Your mother sent me a quick note explaining the situation and promising to let me know when they get him back,” Abby replied, her voice shaking slightly.



The sadness in her tone caused me to look at her and instantly I knew that was a mistake. The resemblance between her and her father was undeniable. My breath caught in my throat, my ears popped and I heard the ragged breathing I had heard in that cellar. They both had the same hair, same face…same grim expression, it was too much. I closed my eyes in an attempt to push the face away.



“Lily,” Siri’s concerned voice called.



I opened my eyes and forced my heart to stop racing. I managed a small smile for both of their sakes and sat down next to my brother.



“Would either of you like some tea?” Abby offered.



Siri immediately accepted with a request for biscuits also and I nodded eventually, admitting that a warm cup of tea might settle my stomach a bit. As Abby prepared the beverages, Siri repeated what I had told him. Abby just kept a straight face, although she was placing the cups on the saucers rather loudly. She did sneak a few glances my way causing me to look at something else. I didn’t want to tell her what I had seen to avoid those same glances…she looked almost thirsty for more information and I didn’t want to be the one to explain the details.



“Here you go,” she said, setting cups in front of Siri and I.



I immediately grabbed mine and took a large sip to avoid having to speak. I only succeeded in burning my tongue. Abby just waited for me to set my cup down before she spoke. I expect it was Aunt Hermione who taught her that, Hermione is big on manners.



“Lily, I want you to know that regardless of how things may turn out tonight, I am extremely grateful for what you’ve done for my family,” Abby began.



I took another sip of my tea, causing my tongue to be quite unhappy. I did manage to avoid responding to her though, which was an accomplishment. Although, I was starting to feel rather odd…maybe I just drank my tea too quickly.



“I expect it wasn’t very enjoyable to see anyone in that situation, but I’m very thankful that you were brave and went directly to those who can help my father. I cannot began to understand how horrible things must have been for you these past few months, the stress and anxiety facing you must be quite frightening. Just know you can come to me if you ever need anything,” she offered.



I nodded to show I understood, but my head didn’t seem to be working as correctly as normal. My head felt heavier and voices were becoming muffled. Briefly, I considered if she had put some chocolate in the tea, but Siri didn’t seem to be concerned.



“I also want you to know that I am sorry,” she confessed.



My heart skipped a beat and I turned to look at Siri. He set his cup down and gave me a pitying look. “I’m sorry too, Lils,” he admitted.



“What are you sorry for?” I asked, finding speech difficult since my lips were so heavy. It was at that moment I realized that I made a mistake. Everything clicked too late and as the fight with keeping my eyes open was lost I was forced to admit that my brother and Abby had pulled a fast one on me.

***

I woke up to find the dorm quiet and empty, although articles of clothing were carelessly cast amongst the floor. I sat up and attempted to remember what had happened last night. I remembered my dream, getting Mum, telling Siri what had happened, Siri suggesting we go talk to Abby…



I suddenly remembered the events within Abby’s office and had to admit to myself I was grateful for her sneaking that potion into my tea. Last night was the first time I slept peacefully in as long as I can remember. I felt more awake that I had in months and I felt rather well too, considering the circumstances.



I still found it odd the dorm was empty and then a pit settled in my stomach…the Quidditch Cup! I was missing the biggest match of the year! Jumping out of bed, I threw on the closest red and gold items I could find as fast as possible. I sprinted out the door, through the empty Common Room and ran down the staircase at record speed. I could hear the roaring crown before I stepped outside and I had made it halfway to the stadium before the stitch in my side was too painful to ignore any longer. I stopped to catch my breath when I heard footsteps approaching.



Uncle Bill and Aunt Fleur were heading toward me…from the stadium. The pit in my stomach grew in size and a frown appeared on my face.



“Did I miss it?” I asked, panic rising in my voice. The boys would forgive me, undoubtedly Siri explained the situation to everyone at breakfast, but that didn’t mean I wanted to miss the match.



“Lily, we’ve been looking for you since breakfast. Abby just informed us that you visited her last night and she put a dreamless sleep potion in your tea, which explains your absence up until this point,” Uncle Bill said, his voice gruff.



“Why were you looking for me? I didn’t do anything wrong, Dumbledore told me to go to an Order member with any vision I had and that’s what I did,” I said, defensively.



“Lily dear, it’s alright. The Headmaster is actually looking for you, apparently you have a visitor of sorts that is waiting,” Aunt Fleur said, smiling.



“Oh, is that all? I’ll go see him after the match,” I said, attempting to walk around them.



Uncle Bill put a hand on my shoulder to prevent me from continuing on. “I’m afraid you will have to miss the match today, Lily. The business with the Headmaster is much more important,” he said, skeptically. His face showed mild surprise at the phrase that had just left his lips.



“More important than Quidditch ? This isn’t just any match, it’s for the Cup ! Please Uncle Bill, how will he even know I’m out of bed yet? The match must be close to being over too, can’t I just sneak in for the rest of it?” I begged, tugging on the sleeve of his robe.



Now, I may have portrayed my uncle to be a bit of a sour man, but that’s not entirely true. He’s just bitter sometimes, but I think Aunt Fleur staying by his side helps him. There are also few things he can deny any member of his family and Quidditch is one of those things. If Dad didn’t have time to take my brothers and me to a match we really wanted to go to, Uncle Bill would be the first one to offer to take us instead. He taught me loads about Quidditch and my love for the sport warms up his heart a bit, at least I like to think it does. I knew if I just begged the right way, he’d give in like always and sneak me into the pitch. Unfortunately, Aunt Fleur does not understand our family’s love (or obsession, as some call it) with Quidditch.



“Lily, I’m afraid not. It is very rude to keep a visitor waiting and I’m sure your mother would agree,” Fleur said, sternly.



“I highly doubt that,” Uncle Bill and I mumbled in unison.



“Regardless, head back to the castle straight away young lady. Perhaps your visitor will wish to come watch the match also,” Aunt Fleur suggested.



I grumbled something and turned around, my mind coming up with many ways to hex her beautiful hair into something horrid. Snakes are too unimaginative, maybe bowtruckles?



My trip back up to the castle took much longer than my trip to the stadium and my empty stomach decided to make itself known, constantly. Since I missed breakfast and lunch wouldn’t be served until after the match (which I was missing) I decided to take Dumbledore’s advice and visit the kitchens. Snape could wait the rest of his life for all I cared and I wasn’t about to torture myself and have to endure his presence on an empty stomach. As for this visitor, the person should have at least let me know they were coming, that is the polite way to visit people. Therefore, I didn’t feel guilty for making the mysterious person wait either.



I easily found the portrait Dumbledore had mentioned and tickled the pear like he had told me to do. I smiled as the fruit wiggled and stepped through the newly revealed opening. The sight I came upon was quite remarkable. Hundreds of house-elves were doing various takes around four long tables located in the exact same spots as our tables were in the Great Hall. House-elves were cooking loads of delicious smelling foods, cleaning piles of linens and towels, polishing piles of silverware and ironing and mending mounds of clothes. Once I was noticed, a large group of them all dropped what they were doing and rushed to me.



“Can wes help yous, Miss?” a squeaky voice asked.



I smiled kindly. “If you don’t mind, I’d like something to eat. I overslept and “ ” I didn’t even have time to finish speaking. They led me to one of the tables and I was instantly surrounded by eggs, bacon, toast, pumpkin juice and various sweets.



“Wow! Thank you!” I said to the room at large. They all bowed and went back about their business…all except one.



I always had trouble determining gender with house-elves but I was pretty sure this one was a male. He watched me with a guarded expression and every time I took a bite of something, our eyes met. It was quite distracting and annoying.



“You is a Potter,” he stated.



I didn’t reply since it was a statement, not a question. He kept watching me in silence for a while longer before he spoke again.



“I is knowing your father for a long time. I is knowing much about your father,” he said.



I snapped my head up and dropped my fork, remaining hunger forgotten. “Are you Kreacher?” I asked him.



He nodded. “Harry Potter is good man, he is. He gives Kreacher many things,” he said, caressing a golden chain around his neck.



I watched intently, trying to glimpse what lay at the end of the chain. “Did he give you that necklace?” I asked, kindly.



“It is Master Regulus’,” he answered.



“Who?”



“I cannot tells you. Harry Potter asked me not to tells you and I wills be honoring his request,” he said.



“My dad told you not to tell me about Regulus? Why would he do that? Am I connected to this Regulus?” I asked, my throat going dry.



Kreacher didn’t respond.



“Kreacher, you are a free elf so you don’t have to listen to what anyone tells you to do,” I pointed out.



Kreacher nodded. “This is true. But I be choosing to obey Harry Potter, he be not forcing me,”



I blew air out my nose, trying to think of another approach.



“Harry Potter be seeing much evil in his life and he be wishing not his children be seeing it too,” Kreacher explained.



“Evil? Kreacher, I know about his triumph over Voldemort. There’s no need for information to remain hidden,” I argued.



He started shaking his head so violently it startled me. “No, no, no! Harry Potter bes wise, Harry Potter be knowing the evil is still being here!”



“What evil, Kreacher?”



“There is works to be done, Miss. I must bes getting back to work,” he said, standing up.



“Kreacher, you served a family before you became free, right?” I asked, causing him to stop.



“Yes,” he answered without facing me.



“What family did you serve before the war?” I asked.



His eyes filled with tears. “The Noble and Most Ancient House of Black,” he answered softly before walking away



I hid my excitement as I thanked the house-elves for their service and exited the kitchen. Once alone in the corridor, a smile erupted across my face. In the beginning of the year, my family and I started searching for answers but have since hit dead end after dead end. We now had a new starting point. After my meeting with Snape and my mysterious visitor I was going to find out who Regulus Black was and how my dad knew him.