Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

To Find the Truth by hopelesslyhopeful

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: I know it seems a bit boring right now, but there are some basics that need to be covered. Let me know what you think! Thanks guys!
Ch. 2 The Warning



“Well done, Lily!” James said when I joined them at the table.



I smiled at Sirius, who was beaming. Then I turned back toward the Head Table and saw my dad beaming at me. I smiled back, relieved that he had watched me get Sorted after all. Before I turned my attention back to the Sorting, I found myself staring into a pair of cold, black eyes.



“Who is that?” I asked Sirius.



“Headmaster Snape,” he whispered.



“Snape? The Snape?” I asked in awe.



Sirius nodded and put a finger to his lips when I opened my mouth to speak again.



“Later, Lily. Pay attention now because Sarah’s being Sorted,” he said.



I turned my attention back to the ceremony and saw Sarah on the stool with the Hat on. I held my breath and prayed to Merlin she’d be in my house.



“GRYFFINDOR!”



I cheered as she sprinted to the table and sat down across from me. The relieved expression on her face made me giggle and she cocked her head at me.



“What?” she asked, smiling.



I was just about to explain I was just as relieved as she was when Snape stood up.



“I’d like to take a moment to welcome you all to a new year. I hope to find that you all fill your minds with vast knowledge as the year moves on. A few announcements before we begin the Feast. The Forbidden Forest is off-limits to all students, regardless of year. Caretaker Stokes has posted a list of all outlawed items in each house’s Common Room, and I suggest you read that over tonight. Also, you will notice Harry Potter is here. He will be taking up the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts. Please restrain yourselves from groveling at his feet; he does not need the attention, trust me. Lastly, I’m going to use this opportunity to remind students that being out past curfew is unacceptable, no exceptions. Enjoy your meal,” he said, sitting down.



“He sure doesn’t seem friendly,” a boy down the table whispered.



As I ate my chicken and potatoes, I began thinking about everything I knew about Snape. I knew he was a skilled potion brewer, a highly decorated War Hero, and Dad didn’t like him much.



“Excuse me, can you please pass the potatoes?” a meek voice asked from my left.



“Sure,” I said, handing the platter over.



“You’re a first year too, right?” she asked.



“Yup. I’m Lily Potter,” I said, smiling.



“Mackenzie Miller, but most people call me Mack. Are you that new teacher’s daughter?” she asked.



Due to shock, I only nodded. ‘That new teacher?’ Someone refers to Harry Potter as ‘that new teacher?’ She had to be Muggle-born.



“You look a lot like him,” she said.



I smiled and introduced her to the group around me. Everyone always said my father and I look a lot alike. All of us kids have bright green eyes, but the boys all have red hair and I have dark black hair. The boys all do have the same facial structure as Dad, while I resemble Mum more. Genetics are quite amazing…



After our dishes were magically cleared, a Prefect named Jane led us to the Common Room. Though my parents talked about the castle a lot, I was still amazed at the quantity of portraits, tapestries, and staircases.



“Odd how everyone in those pictures move,” Mack said.



“Oh! Are you Muggle-born?” Sarah asked.



Mack blushed and nodded.



“Don’t worry, we’ll help you adjust,” I said, smiling.



***



Once we entered the Common Room, Mack and Sarah headed up to the dorms, but Sirius pulled me into a corner before I could follow them.



“I just want to tell you the same thing Dad told me when I started here: stay away from Snape,” he said.



“What? Why? Siri, what is the deal with him anyway?” I asked.



“He’s just an odd guy to begin with. Dad just says that our family and Snape don’t mix. As long as you don’t provoke him, then you’ll be fine,” he said, standing up.



“Aren’t you at all curious about their history?” I asked. I knew I was. Dad got along well with everyone, especially Order members, and I know Snape is one too.



Siri shrugged. “A bit, I guess, but not enough to risk being brought into either of their radars. Snape thinks we’re all attention-seeking prats who abuse our status. You know, most of his speech was directed at us? He thinks every prank is the work of me, Jake, and James,” he said.



I laughed. “Well, I don’t think he’s entirely mistaken, Siri,” I said.



“Rubbish! Now go get some sleep; classes start tomorrow,” he said.



I ran upstairs to tell Sarah and Mack about Sirius’ warning and to see if Sarah knew anything about Snape that I didn’t.



***



The two other girls in our dorm were twins named Patricia and Pamela Wood. Their dad is the coach for Puddlemore United, thus causing them both to be obsessed with Quidditch. When I entered the dorm, all four girls were climbing into bed, so I just followed their lead. I would have to wait to talk to Sarah and Mack, which bothered me a bit.



The next morning, I had a difficult time eating my breakfast due to the fact Siri and I were constantly being questioned about Dad.



“Looks, he’s just a normal Dad!” I said for the hundredth time.



Siri gave much more interesting answers by telling stories about growing up. His entertaining tales drew more people to him, which fed his attention addiction. Realizing he wouldn’t be easy to converse with, I turned to James and Jake.



“What have you got today, Lils?” James asked.



“Um…History of Magic with Binns, Transfiguration with Aunt Hermione, Herbology with Neville, and double Potions with Uncle Bill,” I said, sighing.



“Ah, what a fabulous Monday!” Jake said, grinning.



I was just finishing my pumpkin juice when Sarah stood up.



“We should go if we don’t want to be late,” she said.



As Sarah, Mack, and I walked to class, Sarah began fussing about the material. I found this a bit annoying, especially since we hadn’t even had one lesson yet.



“I’m so horrible with dates and that’s all History is! Do you know how bad my Mum will hex me if I don’t do well?”



“Will you calm down? We’ll all be fine!” I said.



I was beginning to get cranky. People kept pointing at us as we passed and Siri’s little breakfast story-time session didn’t lift my mood much.



When we entered the classroom, I noticed that we had this class with the Hufflepuffs. Sarah, Mack, and I took a seat in the back, far away from our classmate’s gaze. A moment later, a ghost floated through the chalkboard. I did a double take: yes, a dead man was teaching us History… fan-bloody-tastic.



“I’m Professor Binns and this is first year History of Magic,” he said in a monotone.



He quickly took roll and, thankfully, didn’t even raise his head when he called my name. The entire class turned around and stared, and then repeated the reaction for Sarah, too.



“Well, then, let us begin. This term, at the request of the Headmaster, we will be studying the rise and fall of the Dark Wizard, Voldemort,” he said, resting his transparent hands on the podium.



I dropped my head on the desk, which resulted in a thud sounding throughout the room. I couldn’t believe this was happening! If we’re studying Voldemort, that means my dad would be a huge part of it.



Sarah read my face and gave me a small smile. “At least we won’t have to study,” she said.



***



“Okay, I missed the location Voldemort fell the first time,” Mack said, scanning her notes as we walked to Transfiguration.



“Godric’s Hollow, Mack. Right after he killed James and Lily Potter and attempted to kill my dad,” I answered flatly.



“Oh, Lils! I feel so stupid! I’m sorry, I didn’t think,” she said.



I flashed a small smile. “Don’t worry about it. I know you didn’t mean anything by it,” I said, honestly. In fact, I wasn’t bothered by her question at all. The thing that bothered me was hearing the real story of my grandparents’ death, complete with details I had never known. Learning about my family history from a ghost in a room full of my peers wasn’t exactly nice.



We made it to class right on time and took seats in the front. Aunt Hermione constantly told us we had to sit in the front in order to gain the most information from the lesson. I didn’t really agree with that logic, but arguing with Aunt Hermione is something I try to avoid.



“Hello class, I’m Professor Weasley. Transfiguration is one of the most difficult branches of magic and understanding the theories involved is vital. So, that is where we will start today,” she said, flicking her wand at the chalkboard.



Words began to form and I copied them down as I listened to her drone on about concentration and focus.



“My head hurts,” I said as we exited the classroom.



“Mine too. I’m hungry; is it lunchtime yet?” Sarah asked.



When we arrived in the Great Hall, I found Siri stuffing his face while James and Jake were harassing Molly at the Hufflepuff table.



“Hey,” I said, sitting next to Siri.



“How’s your first day going?” he asked.



I shrugged and saw Brian heading over.



“I’m owling Mum tonight, if you two want to add your letters,” he said.



“Did you have Dad’s class yet?” I asked.



He nodded and Siri smirked.



“You both did? Tell me what it was like!” I demanded.



“I have him this afternoon, Lils. I’m just assuming he told Bry not to say anything,” Siri replied.



Brian just nodded.



“How is he going to know if you tell us?” I asked between bites of my potatoes.



“It’s Dad, Lils…he’ll know,” Brian said, shrugging.



“We’re studying Voldemort this term,” I mumbled after a brief silence.



“Really? We are too. That’s weird; we’re studying the same topic,” Siri said.



I shrugged. I only told them both in order to get sympathy for constantly being singled out. Why did it only seem to bother me? Not to mention Mack’s innocent question earlier had irked me a bit.



“What’s wrong?” Brian asked.



“Nothing! Why does everyone keep asking me that?” I asked, pushing my plate away.



“Because you either look sad or mad all the time,” Siri answered. “Got to run, I’m meeting Natalie before class.”



As Siri dashed out of the Hall and Brian returned to his table, I saw Katy eating her lunch.



“Can I ask you something?” I asked, sitting down next to her.



She looked surprised but nodded and closed her book.



“How much do you know about my parents’ past?”



“Bits and pieces, why?” she asked, cocking an eyebrow.



“I’m just curious. We’re studying Voldemort in class,” I said.



Katy nodded in understanding. “You know, Lydia figured a lot out when she was here. I think she laid guilt on Uncle Ron and Aunt Hermoine to get most of it, though. Why don’t you just ask your parents?”



I shrugged. The truth was that I didn’t want to admit to either of my parents that I was interested in the story that brought them their fame; that same story that made my life so interesting to everyone else. Until today, I never showed much interest in my family history, but now my mindset had changed. It may turn out to be quite an entertaining tale.