Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

To Find the Truth by hopelesslyhopeful

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Lily takes a midnight stroll and encounters a few...situations that make things a bit more interesting. It may seem wrong or unlike Harry and Ginny to omit certain bits of information of their past lives, but they feel if they attempt to explain too many questions will arise that they aren't ready to answer...
Ch. 4 The Headmaster’s Office
For as long as I can remember, I have always had the ability to tell myself to wake up at a specific time without an alarm clock. It was a talent I planned to exploit now. I woke up at half past one and made sure everyone was asleep before sneaking down to the Common Room. I was relieved to find no one was still awake, which saved me from explaining my actions. I pushed my way through the portrait hole and found myself getting my first glance of Hogwarts bathed in darkness. I allowed myself a moment to let my eyes adjust; I didn’t want to use my wand because it would give me away. Finally able to make out my surroundings, I started to head to the Library using light, quiet steps.
I couldn’t stop thinking about the article Siri and I found earlier. Dad had told us that his scar was from Voldemort, but he failed to mention anything about getting it when he was a baby! I had just assumed he meant during the War and that’s probably the way Mum and Dad wanted us all to think. No wonder he never talked about his childhood or Grandma and Grandpa Potter, how do you even bring that up in a conversation? My anger towards my parents for withholding information from us gave way to pity. I knew Mum and Dad thought we’re too young to understand certain things, but empathy for a family member was not beyond my emotional understanding. They could have at least given us the chance to try, I was not a baby anymore!
When I arrived at the door, I found it locked. Damn! I began pacing back and forth, searching my mind for the right spell to unlock the door. I knew it had ‘m’ in it somewhere. Mo? Come on, Lils, think! Suddenly, I was doused in an icy cold light.
“Ah, young Miss Potter! How unsurprised I am to find you roaming the halls and flouncing authority. Something you inherited from your father, no doubt,” the looming figure of Snape snarled from the darkness.
Fear penetrated every ounce of my body. He just kept staring at me with an evil smirk on his lips. My breath left me completely. His cold eyes were peering at me; his grey hair and black robes were being stirred about in the breeze from the open window.
“What are you doing out of your dorm, Miss Potter?” he asked, stepping closer to me.
I inhaled slowly, trying to calm my nerves. I didn’t want him to know how much he was terrifying me. I suddenly felt myself replaying my trip with Siri earlier. I knew what he was doing, but Mum and Dad had taught all of us how to fight it. I forced my mind to go blank and felt him stop. His face showed mild surprise but his eyes remained cold. I decided to use my realization to my advantage.
“You aren’t supposed to do that,” I said, trying to use the subtle threatening tone my mum possessed.
“Follow me, Miss Potter,” he said, coldly.
I gulped as he led me down an unfamiliar corridor. He was walking quickly until he suddenly stopped in front of the statue of a gargoyle. I walked into his back, causing him to turn and scowl at me.
“Sorry,” I managed to squeak out.
He muttered something and a revolving staircase appeared. I waited in awe at the sudden revelation. Snape motioned for me to go up and I obliged, doom settling in my stomach. I reached a door that opened automatically to reveal a beautifully large office. There were hundreds of portraits lining the walls, numerous potion ingredients lined four shelves behind the large desk, and there were so many books too! It seemed that every space available was devoted to books, and each one looked very worn, too.
I watched Snape stride across to the desk and sit behind it. None of the occupants in the portraits moved at the sound of his footsteps, and I didn’t either. “Take a seat, Miss Potter,” he whispered.
I heeded his request half-heartedly. The chair in front of his desk didn’t look at all comfortable and when I sat down, I knew comfort wasn’t a concern of his.
“Now, tell me what you were doing,” he said.
“Exploring,” I said, looking right back at him.
Dad had always told me never to let someone know they were frightening me. The best way to do that was by keeping eye contact and a cool demeanor.
He shook his head. “I know you are lying to me. Your face is so easy to read. You cannot fool me. Are you going to tell me the truth or do I have to resort to different tactics?” he asked.
I continued to gaze at him, but I didn’t reply. He wordlessly stood up and left the office. I breathed a sigh of relief and stood up and headed to the door. I discovered yet another locked door preventing my advancement. “What the…?” I said.
“He has locked you in, my dear,” a voice said from my right.
I turned toward the voice and saw an old man smiling from a portrait.
“I figured that out, thanks,” I growled at him.
He just smiled at me. Despite my current mood, I felt draw to him. His blue eyes sparkled with amusement behind his glasses and he was petting a pretty bird while watching me intently.
“What’s his name?” I asked, pointing at the bird.
“Fawkes. He is a phoenix,” the man answered.
“He’s very pretty,” I said. “Where did Snape go?”
“Headmaster Snape, dear, is his proper name. And I don’t know, although I have a good idea,” the man said.
I nodded. I had a good idea too. “My dad is going to be so angry,” I said.
“What makes you think that?”
“My brother, Sirius, told me to stay away from the Headmaster because Dad and he don’t get along. I’m pretty sure Dad doesn’t want to be awoken by some man he doesn’t like to be told his daughter has been strolling the corridors alone at night,” I explained heavily.
His blue eyes sparkled again. “You are very perceptive, Lily. I think you inherited that from you mother, and your thirst for adventure from you father,” he said, smiling a calming smile.
“How did you know my name? And how do you know my parents?” I asked, leaning against a nearby bookcase.
“Oh, with nothing to do all day, we portraits tend to get very good at placing names to students,” he explained.
I laughed. “What’s your name?”
The man smiled, but the door flew open at that moment and my dad came walking in with Snape.
“Lillian, I’m…so disappointed,” Dad said, shaking his head.
“I’m sorry, Dad,” I said, sitting back down in the cold, high-backed chair.
“What were you doing?” he asked as Snape smirked from behind the desk.
“Nothing,” I answered. I wasn’t going to tell him what Siri and I were up to.
“Lily, please don’t lie to me, I don’t appreciate it,” he said sternly.
“It’s awful being lied to, isn’t it, Dad?” I replied, watching both men’s stern expressions flicker slightly.
“Miss Potter, I seem to recall mentioning that no student should be out past curfew. Ever. Do you think the rules do not apply to you?” Snape asked, sneering.
I looked at him. His eyes were so cold! I felt like he almost hated me, but I knew I was being ridiculous. “Why would I think that?” I asked.
He glanced at my dad before replying. “I can’t help but notice the similarities, Potter,” he said.
“Not the time, Severus,” my dad said in a tone I didn’t recognize.
“Do you not see it? The disregard for the rules, the adoration of the fame complete with the vague answers and air of cockiness? She is you,” he said.
Dad shot him a glare of hatred that frightened me. But I saw the opportunity to permanently change the subject… maybe even save me from punishment.
“Severus, if you wish to have this conversation at a different time, I think you would find it more appropriate,” Dad said.
“I assure you I am completely aware of what is appropriate and what is not, Potter,” Snape spat.
Here it was!
“Really? Is that why you attempted to enter my mind in the corridor?” I asked, smirking.
Snape’s cold eyes grew wide and red crept into his cheeks. My dad’s face lost color and his green eyes looked ever bright against his paling complexion.
“SNAPE!” Dad yelled. “What the bloody hell is my daughter talking about?” he asked as he pointed his wand at Snape.
“I have no idea, Potter,” Snape said, remaining in his seat.
“Your reaction contradicts your statement. Why would you do that?” Dad asked in a voice of forced calm.
“Probably because he didn’t think I’d notice, much less prevent it,” I suggested.
No one said anything. Dad and Snape just glared at one another.
“Once again, Lily, you are quite perceptive,” the man said, smiling.
“Thank you, sir,” I said, blushing.
“Good evening, Albus,” Snape said, not moving his gaze from my dad. But my dad turned to the man in the portrait and smiled.
“Hello, Dumbledore!”
“You’re Dumbledore?” I asked in amazement.
“I suggest the young Potter returns to bed while you two discuss things,” he advised.
Snape waved me out and Dad gave me a quick kiss on the forehead. “Goodnight, Lily. We’ll talk about this tomorrow,” he said.
I nodded. “It was nice to meet you, sir. I hope to see you again,” I said, heading to the door.
“The pleasure is mine, dear,” he said with a twinkle in his eye.
I walked out the door, shutting it behind me. I waited outside, straining my ears to hear the exchange continue inside.
“Using Legilimency on the girl was not a wise choice, Severus,” Dumbledore said.
“Thank you, Albus. I’m aware of that now,” Snape replied.
“Only because she caught you,” Dad said with a hint of pride in his voice.
“I’m glad someone in your family has managed to control their emotions, Potter. She shows more talent in that gesture than you had for most of your years here,” Snape taunted.
“I’m flattered since I’m the one who taught her,” Dad said, causing me to smirk.
“Well, I think you should know that I did see her and Sirius poring over something in the Library, but she pushed me out before I could find out what,” Snape said.
There was a moment of silence.
“And you found her by the Library? Do you have any idea what they were looking at, at all?” Dad asked. I heard a note of panic in his voice.
“It could have been a newspaper, but I am not sure,” Snape answered.
My dad swore.
“I told you long ago, Harry. I do not think it is wise to hide things from your children; it only causes trouble. You, of all people, should know that,” Dumbledore said.
“All too well,” Dad said. “We’ll continue this abuse of power later, Snape. Just know that if you ever do anything to any of my kids again, I will not be so kind.”
I ran from the door in case Dad left, but a new round of muffled yelling told me he hadn’t.
I quietly climbed through the portrait hole and crawled into bed. If Dad found out we were snooping, he’d surely put a stop to it. Well, I wasn’t going to let that happen. Forming a plan in my mind, I drifted off to sleep, glad the night turned out to be eventful.