Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

To Find the Truth by hopelesslyhopeful

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Harry attempts to corner Sirius, Brian and Lily into revealing their plan, but his attempt...backfires slightly. The three Potter children have another run in with the ever threatening Snape which ends with yet another surprise.
CH. 6: Trick and Treat

The next few weeks were filled with increasingly hard classes, loads of homework, and more researching. By now, everyone was involved, which made relaying information harder. I soon realized that it was abnormal for people of different houses to interact on a regular basis, even if it was family. I had finally given up on the belief that Dad would spill a bunch of information to us, even if we pressed him for it by using all of our acquired knowledge. Our source of information definitely had to come from somewhere else, more specifically, someone else. We long ago decided that we needed to talk to Dumbledore, so we started misbehaving and drawing attention to ourselves, something I didn’t enjoy, but still participated in. Siri and I were practically tied for number of detentions as we pulled most pranks together.

Halloween Night turned out to be very interesting. My classes that day provided little information, but at dinner, our group used the holiday occasion as an excuse to isolate ourselves at the end of the Hufflepuff table.

“I’m beginning to think the Dark Side has a spy, Lils. If you read between the lines, a double crosser is the only explanation. Voldemort knew every move your grandparents made, every single one! Look at this,” Katy said, indicating a passage from the book she was reading.

“’The Order of the Phoenix once again found itself facing Voldemort. The Dark Wizard and his Death Eaters (see Chapter 4) greatly outnumbered Albus Dumbledore and his followers. During a secret meeting, the Order found their meeting location surrounded and a fierce battle ensued. It is unknown who exactly was involved, but it is believed that Voldemort himself was there and thwarted eventually’,” I read out loud, my voice becoming raspier with each word.

“’Death Eaters’?” Mack asked, taking the book. “Who are they?”

“Voldemort’s followers, they were like an elite class of evil people who seemed to think their life mission was to do Voldemort’s bidding,” I said, stabbing my fork into my piece of chicken. “How did Voldemort know where the meeting was?”

“That’s why I think there was a spy; it’s the only logical explanation. Chapter three talks about how covert the Order was; it was impossible to penetrate without inside knowledge,” Katy said, shaking her head.

“Dad’s coming!” Bry exclaimed, ducking his head behind his book.

Katy slyly put the book back in her bag as James changed the topic.

“Has your dad got any new jokes out, Sarah?” he asked.

“He won’t tell me, but I think he’s got something up his sleeve. Mum’s in a bit of a mood and that usually means he’s been testing items out on her,” Sarah said, smiling.

“Hey, kids, Happy Halloween,” Dad said with a smile.

We all repeated the greeting back as he watched us curiously.

“Siri, Bry, and Lils, will you please come to my office when you’re finished eating?” he asked, placing a hand on both of my brothers’ shoulders.

“Sure, Dad,” Siri said as Bry and I nodded.

“Good, I’ll see you in a bit then,” he said, walking away.

“What do you think he wants?” Molly asked.

“No idea,” Siri said, stuffing potatoes in his mouth.

***

When I entered Dad’s office with my brothers, I saw Dad calmly tapping his fingers on the desk. I could tell my brothers were just as curious as I. What did Dad really want?

“Sit,” he said, simply.

“Dad, what’s going on?” I said, still standing in the doorway.

“Sit,” he repeated.

I placed myself between my brothers, never taking my eyes off my dad. I clenched each of my brother’s hands and squeezed; something about Dad’s face told me this would not be a nice chat.

“What’s going on? I need an explanation for your actions now,” he said, standing in front of us.

“Dad, I’m confused. What actions are you talking about?” Bry asked, trying to sound innocent. I couldn’t help but notice that he wasn’t doing that great of a job, which would make things difficult.

Dad just glared at us with a look he reserved only for when we were in big trouble. The last time the three of us had been interrogated this way was when Mum’s wand had disappeared and Ced’s face mysteriously became covered in boils.

“Sirius, you have three detentions this week and two are from Fleur, who hardly ever punishes Gryffindors! Lily, I thought after your late night episode you would’ve learned your lesson, but Hermione tells me you’re misbehaving in class, Bill’s giving you detentions for tardiness, and Neville tells me you never do your homework!” he said, his voice gaining volume.

I squeezed Siri and Bry’s hands tighter. We couldn’t give in to him now; he was just going to yell a bit more and then send us to bed. If we stayed strong, we’d make it through this!

“And Brian! You are distracting lessons with off topic questions, skipping class, and participating in pranks with your brother and sister. I admit that I expected trouble from Sirius and Lily, but you are not one to enjoy those types of activities. So, I ask again, what is going on?”

We sat there in silence. Of course we were intentionally doing every one of those things to gain attention from Snape. We needed to talk to Dumbledore again, and Dumbledore was in Snape’s office.

“Adolescence, Dad,” Siri said, shrugging.

“Don’t stand there and tell us you never got into any trouble, Dad! You were our age once and I’m sure you were no angel,” I accused.

“My childhood antics are not the issue here. I was never one to use my status to my advantage while I was attending school. I behaved like an average student!” he said, sitting at his desk.

“Um, Dad?” Bry asked, walking up to look Dad in the eye.

“Yes, Brian?”

“If you didn’t kill Voldemort until after you left Hogwarts, then why would you have had a high status while you were here?”

Siri and I grinned as Dad’s face began to pale slightly. He had never told us the truth about his scar and how Gran and Grandad Potter died. Now, Bry just stood there looking curious, pretending to be unaware of the obvious trap he had led our Dad into.

“What?” Dad asked, his voice sounding dry.

“Well, think about it logically, Dad. Why would you have any type of status when you were a student? You didn’t do anything before coming to Hogwarts to gain you attention, right?” I asked, in a perfectly innocent voice.

“There are things about my life, and your mother’s too, that you are just too young to understand. When you are old enough, I promise I will elaborate further. But for now, you three have to believe me when I say you are too young to understand the totality of the situation, of the circumstances that brought the Potter name to such fame in our world,” Dad said.

“Oh, we understand, Dad. It’s a shame that hundreds of other people, complete strangers at that, know more about our family history than members of our family,” I responded.

“Lily, you and your brothers deserve the right to live a semi carefree life. I don’t want to overexpose you, to cause you to live your life constantly glancing over your shoulder and have fear of the unknown. If you’re too scared to attempt an unknown, then how will you ever grow?” he asked, seriously.

“Dad, what lesson do you think we’re learning from your actions right now? You defending your choice to hide things says that lying is okay. So, it’s okay to lie always or only when you do it? Or only when it’s for the purpose of good?” Bry asked.

Dad just shook his head at us. “That’s not what I’m saying at all, Brian.”

“That’s not an answer!” Bry responded, clearly growing angry.

I stood up and headed toward the door. “Come on, apparently we have some more growing to do before we can understand what the difference is between a lie of omission and an outright lie,” I said, opening the door.

Bry smirked at Siri as they headed back to join me. We were barely able to hold in our smiles as we exited Dad’s office and once we entered the corridor. I giggled.

“Isn’t it nice to know we can actually apply History of Magic to everyday life?” I asked as we headed back to the Gryffindor Common Room.

“What time is it?” Bry asked, noticing the empty hallways and echoing silence.

“Past curfew,” a voice snarled behind us.

The three of us froze in terror as Snape came up to us. I could feel his hot breath on the back of my neck and smell the fumes of Potion brewing on his hands as he grabbed our shoulders.

“One, two, three Potters, lucky me,” he said coldly.

“Please, sir. We were with our father being reprimanded for our actions over the past few weeks,” Bry squeaked.

“Apparently, your father was unsuccessful. Perhaps I can have a much more effective impact on you,” he said, guiding us to his office.

Bry looked pale but Siri flashed a smile. “Lucky us: trick and treat!”

I held in a laugh as I joined the queue, pretending to be scared, but actually excited. As Snape led us around the corner, an idea came to me. I reached into my pocket and popped a sweet into my mouth.

***

As soon as we entered Snape’s office, I glanced at Dumbledore’s portrait. He wasn’t sleeping like the others; in fact he gave me a look that caused me to slow my pace. I suddenly got the feeling that he knew what we were doing.

“Sit down!” Snape ordered.

I quickly took my seat, trying to convince Snape (and myself) that he didn’t frighten me.

“So,” Snape said, taking his seat. “I have been hearing things lately about you three, interesting things.”

“Like what, sir?” Siri asked, crossing his legs and leaning back in his chair. I had to hold in a grin, Siri looked completely comfortable. He was gazing at Snape as if the two were old friends settling down for a catching up chat.

“You three are causing trouble, even you!” Snape said, glaring at Bry.

“Tr-trouble, sir?” Bry squeaked out.

“You three put powdered Puking Pasties in the Slytherin’s pumpkin juice, dropped a case of Dungbombs in the corridor leading to the Slytherin Common Room, and were responsible for the spider stampede two weeks ago!” Snape said, glaring at each of us.

“Sir, surely these deeds require lots of magical knowledge. I’m only a first year, so I know very little, definitely not enough to carry out those actions,” I said, innocently.

He was in my face within the blink of an eye; I swear I never saw him move from his desk! His face was blocking my peripheral view of Siri and Bry. He sneered his teeth at me, feeding off the fear he felt radiating off of me.

“You, Lily, are more cunning than I previously thought. I know you are leading your group in your mysterious mission. Yes, I know you are up to something. You may be able to fool you father with pleading eyes and vague explanations, but it will take more to fool me!” he whispered, finally backing away.

My breathing became shallow and my palms were sweating. I felt empty, like all of my energy had just been sucked out of my body. I could feel the color draining from my face and I quickly motioned to Siri.

“Lily? Lily, what’s wrong?” Siri asked, rising from his chair.

I felt my body go rigid and Siri catch me as I slid off the chair. “Bry, go get Dad!” I heard Siri yell. His voice sounded different, muffled and distant.

“Stay here, child. My way will be faster!” Snape yelled.

“He’s going to Floo Dad,” Siri whispered.

“POTTER!” I heard Snape yell. “Damn, he’s not in his office. No one leaves this room…no one!”

I heard footsteps, but the edge of my vision had gone black so I didn’t see anyone leave.

“Quickly, Bry, he’ll have it here somewhere,” Siri yelled.

I coughed. My lungs were burning and my throat was rapidly swelling shut. “Hurry,” I whispered, clenching Siri’s shirt in my hand.

“Found it!” Bry yelled.

I barely saw him as he uncorked a potion and forced the liquid into my mouth. Siri wasn’t by me anymore, but Bry helped me up into a sitting position and began rubbing my back. My vision began to clear and my lungs had stopped burning just as Dad flew in and rushed to me.

“Lily, what happened?” he asked me.

My throat was still swollen and my breathing wasn’t normal yet, so I just shook my head.

“Dad, look at this,” Siri said, handing him a sweet wrapper.

I saw Dad look at the wrapper and then at me. “Lily, did you eat this?” he asked in a whispered tone.

I nodded and forced myself to swallow. “Yes, but I didn’t think it had chocolate in it, Dad. It’s a Muggle candy that I got from Mack,” I explained, slowly.

He nodded and picked me up. “Severus, why you even had to punish them is beyond me. You are completely aware they were with me and I had given them permission to be out past curfew. If I thought I could convince you otherwise, I would try but for the time being, perhaps you could restrain yourself from any futher punishment right now. I think they’ve had enough scares for tonight,” Dad said, leading Bry and Siri out.

“How did you stop the reaction?” Dad asked as we headed to the Gryffindor Common Room.

“Brian gave me a potion,” I rasped, my throat still slightly sore.

“Well done, Brian. Your mother would’ve murdered me if Lils had been taken to St. Mungo’s,” he said, stopping at the Fat Lady.

“She always says her worst nightmare is walking into a room and seeing one of her children in a bed,” Siri said, taking my hand and leading Bry and me into the common room.

“Bry, don’t stay here too late and Siri, take care of your sister,” Dad said before the portrait hole closed.

I collapsed into a chair but couldn’t stop the grin forming across my face. “So?” I asked, looking at my brothers.

“Lils, if you ever do that to me again…just don’t, okay? I’ve got to get back to my dorm. Let me know what you find out,” Bry said, still looking pale.

With a nod from Siri and me, he left.

“I agree, Lils. Not a good idea to do that at all. What if neither of us knew what to do? Merlin, your face! I don’t think I’ve ever been so worried about you!” Siri said, pacing in front of me.

“All right, I’m sorry! Tell me you told him,” I said, sitting up.

Siri turned to me. “He’ll be here in ten minutes,” he said.

“Good! Wait, how will he come here?”

Siri shrugged and fell into a nearby chair. “Don’t ask me, Lils. You’re clearly the one in control.”