Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

To Find the Truth by hopelesslyhopeful

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: ah, yes...it's Quidditch time. With all that is going on, I forgot about what the rest of Hogwarts looks forward to! So, here is the ever obsessive Quidditch game, with a few other things too...
Ch. 7 Gryffindor vs. Hufflepuff



While we waited, I tried to regain my strength from my little episode. For as long as I can remember, chocolate and I have had a horrible relationship. My mum is a Healer and they often use chocolate as a remedy for many energy depriving encounters because for most people, chocolate restores energy and warmth. It has the opposite effect on me. I nearly died when I was two and ate a Chocolate Frog. Mum saved me with a quick does of a Rejuvenating Potion and since that day, everyone in our family knew I couldn’t have chocolate. I’m positive that being allergic to chocolate is the worst allergy one could ever have…chocolate is so good!



I was beginning to feel guilty for not warning my brothers. When the idea popped into my mind, I overlooked the part where my brothers were unaware of the entire act. So, typical of me, act first, think later, I really need to work on that.



“Siri, I’m really sorry. It seemed like a much better idea in my head,” I said, sitting up and looking at him.



He nodded but didn’t say anything. I watched him frown and rub his temples with a gloomy expression on his face.



“What’s wrong?” I asked, walking over to him.



“I’m just really confused, Lils,” he said, leaning back in his chair.



“As am I,” came a voice behind us.



We turned and saw Dumbledore getting comfortable in a painting of the countryside. He smiled and sat down on the lush grass, crossing his legs and piercing us with a look of interest.



“Hello, sir. Thank you for agreeing to talk to us,” I said, approaching his temporary portrait home.



“Young Miss Potter, I am and will always be a teacher. If a student desires knowledge, I am obligated to supply it,” he said.



“Well, we have about a million things we desire to know,” Siri said, pulling a chair closer to the wall. I nodded and joined him, sitting down so my butt only rested on half of the seat.



“I’m sure you do, but there is something I’d like to know about your performance in the Headmaster’s Office earlier,” he said, looking right at me.



I shifted uncomfortably. I barely knew this man, but the thought of disappointing him made me feel horrible.



“Did you purposely cause the episode merely to find a moment to ask me to meet you?” Dumbledore asked.



I stared at the laces on my sneakers; such lovely laces they were. “Yes, sir,” I whispered.



“In the future, if you desire to speak to me, you can always ask one of the portraits around the castle to relay a message,” he said, causing me to look up in shock.



That was it? No yelling? No lecture on being irresponsible? No guilt trip for exploiting an allergy? Who was this man?



“Tell us about the Prophecy,” I finally said.



He closed his eyes and when he opened them he tilted his head thoughtfully. “I think you should tell me about it,” he replied, his blue eyes twinkling.



“I can’t stay up all night decoding cryptic answers, I have Quidditch tomorrow. Let me know what he tells you, Lils, if you can figure it out,” Siri said, ruffling my hair and nodding curtly to Dumbledore.



I waited until I heard Siri close his dormitory door before turning back to the ancient man.



“What about you, Lily?” he asked, smiling.



I smiled back at him. “I have all night, sir,” I said.



“Very well. Please tell me what you know. How about tonight we just stick to the Prophecy, though? I think we should leave other issues alone for the moment,” he said, eyes bright with amusement.



I momentarily lost my train of thought. This man knew so much more than he was telling me. I felt color rising in my cheeks but quickly recovered and looked him in the eye.



“I know there was a Prophecy concerning my dad and Voldemort because Professor Binns mentioned it in class. He didn’t tell use what the Prophecy said, though, and I would like to know,” I told him.



Dumbledore smiled knowingly and I found it a bit annoying. “He couldn’t tell you because he doesn’t know,” he finally said.



I furrowed my brow. I didn’t understand what that meant.



“You see, Miss Potter, not everyone has access to a Prophecy. The Ministry records them and keeps them all on record, but only the Seer and any witnesses really know what a specific one contains. Ancient Magic prevents accessing the contents by force and only those the Prophecy applies to can gain official access to the record. It is a very complicated process,” he explained.



I contemplated this for a moment as a yawn escaped my lips. “So, the only people who know a specific Prophecy are the Seer, the witnesses, and the person the vision is about. Which means I have to find and ask the Seer or the witness because asking Voldemort is impossible and Dad wouldn’t tell me,” I said.



“Why do you want to know what the Prophecy contained in the first place?” he asked.



I was about to answer when a thought hit me. I knew Dumbledore was a close friend of Dad’s because Mum and him talked about Dumbledore all the time. The wisdom in the eyes of the man gazing at me caused me to wonder if he held all the answers I was looking for.



“You were the witness!” I exclaimed.



He looked shocked for a moment, but he nodded.



“So you can tell me! You can tell me what was said can’t you, sir?” I asked, hope filling up inside me.



He pondered me for a moment. “I think you have stumbled upon enough information for tonight. It is not my place to divulge that information to you, especially because there is a level of understanding you must meet first,” he said.



I felt confusion (and annoyance) spill into my face as the hope previously filling inside me evaporated. I stood up and headed towards the stairs after throwing Dumbledore a small wave.



“I have a question for you, Miss Potter,” he said, pushing himself up off the grass and causing me to turn back and face him.



“Yes, sir?”



“Why are you putting so much effort into finding out about your father’s past?” he asked, his blue eyes searching.



“Because he’s putting so much effort into hiding it, sir,” I replied and climbed the stairs.



Before closing the door I swear I heard him mutter, “Some things are not worth the effort, my dear, and I wish you and your father would see that.”



***



Sarah woke me at dawn with a huge smile on her face. I groaned and threw my pillow at her.



“Hey!” she cried as I pulled my covers over my head.



“Lils, get up, it’s Quidditch today!” Sarah said, pounding my back with my own pillow.



“Sarah, the match starts at ten, let me sleep!” I yelled, my voice muffled by my sheets.



The door crashed open and Pam and Trish came in screaming loudly. “Put on your red and gold girls! We’ve got a match to go to!” I heard Pam yell.



I groaned again and got out of bed, glaring at the Wood twins as I headed to the bathroom. Sarah followed me, a look of curiosity on her face.



“What’s going on?” she asked me.



“What do you mean?” I asked her reflection as I brushed my teeth.



“Well, you weren’t in bed last night when we all turned in and I know something happened because Uncle Harry asked Mack if she gave you chocolate,” she told me.



I choked as I spit the toothpaste out of my mouth. “What?”



Sarah nodded. “I can’t believe you, Lily! Purposely eating chocolate, are you insane? And you should have seen Mack’s face when Uncle Harry told her what happened! She had no idea what that stuff does to you!”



I felt shame wash over me again as I remembered how Siri and Bry had reacted. “I’ll talk to her,” I said.



“I bloody well hope so,” I heard Sarah mumble.



***



Sarah, Mack, and I followed the crowd out to the pitch. It was a beautiful autumn day and I knew conditions were perfect for Quidditch. A slight breeze ruffled my black hair as we entered the stadium and found seats.



“Mack, I am truly sorry,” I said again as she plopped down beside me.



“Lily, it’s okay. Just, uh, don’t hide stuff from me anymore,” Mack replied, giving me a hug.



We jumped up and began cheering as the Gryffindors marched onto the field. I saw Siri glance around, look at me, and touch his nose. I laughed and waved as Bry pushed his way to us, stopping next to Mack.



“You two still doing that nose thing?” Bry yelled over the roaring crowd.



I nodded and he just shook his head.



“Jeez, Lils, it seems like your entire family is down there!” Mack said, scanning the players.



“They’re my family too!” Sarah said, causing Bry to nod.



Mack was partially right though, out of the seven players on our team, three of them were considered family. Siri and James are Chasers along with Natalie Thomas, and Jake is a Beater with a fifth year I didn’t know. Our Keeper’s name is Acker and our Seeker is a girl by the name of Antram. My cousin, Molly (Sarah’s sister), was also on the field as a Beater for Hufflepuff.



“And they’re off! Gryffindor in possession. Potter passes to Thomas, she’s heading to the goal! Thomas passes to Lupin, Lupin shoots… HE SCORES! 10-0 Gryffindor!”



“Way to go, James!” I screamed.



We watched as Hufflepuff controlled the Quaffle and headed toward our goal. “Smith changes directions, shoots… ACKER SAVES IT!!! Excellent save for the Gryffindor Captain!”



As the group around me began cheering again, I looked to see who was commentating. I was surprised to see Amber, a seventh year Ravenclaw girl, behind the megaphone speaking so enthusiastically. Bry elbowed me and pointed up. Siri was heading to the goal and no one was nearby to stop him. I started hopping in anticipation when I saw a Bludger fly at him.



“Siri!” Bry, Sarah, and I yelled in unison as the Bludger narrowly missed his face, causing him to fly off course.



“Nice play by Hufflepuff Beater, Weasley and Hufflepuff gains control,” Amber said.



Sarah shook her head but made no comment. Mack looked at me and I smiled a half-smile.



“Family rule, all is fair in Quidditch,” I said.



Bry laughed at Mack’s expression and Amber’s voice rang throughout the stadium. “Hufflepuff scores! 80-70 Gryffindor!”



And so the game went on for what seemed like hours, neither Seeker showing signs of spotting the Snitch, and I was getting anxious. My throat was getting sore from screaming and my legs were cramping from jumping up and down so much.



I watched James score and do a quick loop in celebration. Suddenly, Antram went into a spectacular dive. She had obviously seen the Snitch. I grabbed Sarah and Mack’s arms in anxiety as the crowd grew restless. The Hufflepuff Seeker was miles behind the chase and I knew we were going to win.



“Go, go, go!” we all screamed.



Antram rose up with her fist in the air and a triumphant smile visible from the stands.



“Antram has the Snitch! GRYFFINDOR WINS 370-170!” Amber screamed as we rushed the field.



I had never been to a Hogwarts Quidditch match before, so I had no idea how out of control the scene was going to be. People were mobbing our team, making it impossible for me to get to Siri, Jake, or James. Suddenly, an arm grabbed my hand and yanked me through the crowd. I saw Jake’s beaming face before he enveloped me in a hug.



“WE WON!” he yelled, sweat flying off his face.



“I know,” I said, laughing.



We hugged again as I saw Siri running towards me.



“YEAH!” Siri yelled, hugging both Jake and me.



The crowd finally began to thin and I saw Sarah, Mack, and James heading my way. Siri gave Sarah and Mack quick hugs before high-fiving James and heading to the Locker Room.



“Good game,” I said, giving James a quick hug.



“Thanks!” he said, smiling and following Siri.



Sarah, Mack, and I headed back to the castle, euphoria causing us to wear permanent smiles and analyze the match with high-speed speech.