Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

To Find the Truth by hopelesslyhopeful

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: I don't really have anything to say, except this chapter was really hard to write so I hope you all like it.
Ch. 9 L. Potter v. Binns, Abernathy and H. Potter

I continued to revisit the room with the old woman every night and after a week, my lack of sleep began to wear me down. But I was still determined to figure out something whether it be why I was having these dreams or what my parents were hiding. Although nothing new had been discovered and we were shooting out theories so outrageous they would never be right, every spare moment any Potter, Weasley or Lupin had was spent investigating something.

About two weeks after sending the letter, I woke up late and found the dorm empty. I quickly jumped out of bed, changed into my uniform, and bolted out the door. I reached the Great Hall and collapsed next to James.

“Running late, Lil?” Jake asked, smirking.

“Maybe I would’ve gotten more sleep if someone’s plan had actually worked!” I said, glaring at him.

“What plan?” James asked.

“Ugh, I don’t want to talk about it,” I said, quickly loading my plate and digging in.

“Fine, I’ll tell them,” Jake said, brushing crumbs off his hands. “Lils and I were trying to get into the Restricted Section in the Library yesterday. She’s researching a theory and I just like causing trouble. So, I sort of caused a bit of a distraction so Lily could slip by Madam Reed.”

“A bit? Maybe in your mind, Jake! Reed freaked out and I thought she was going to kill us,” I said.

“What did you do?” Sarah asked.

“Well, Uncle Fred sent me a new prototype, he called them Chaotic Cameras. But the spell isn’t exactly perfected yet. Rather than just constantly flashing and clicking random pictures, they sort of attacked. They flew all around Madam Reed and started whacking her with lens caps,” Jake explained.

Siri, James, Mack, and Sarah were doubled over with laughter. I had to admit the whole incident was hilarious, until Madam Reed dropped detention on Jake and me. Instead of doing my Defense homework last night, I spent four hours cataloging books.

“We’re going to be late for Binns!” Sarah said.

I sighed. Aside from learning the truth about the deaths of Grandpa and Grandma Potter and the Prophecy, I hadn’t really learned anything new. I stood up and headed to class to listen to Binns drone on about Voldemort’s suspected hide-outs.

***

“Most Ministry officials at the time believed Voldemort to be dead. However, Albus Dumbledore was under the assumption Voldemort was hiding abroad. It wasn’t until 1995, when events occurred that brought few to believe Voldemort had not actually died that day in Godric’s Hollow,” Binns said, reading from his notes.

I immediately became interested and raised my hand.

“Yes, Miss?”

“If the Killing Curse was reflected back onto Voldemort in Godric’s Hollow, how did he survive?” I asked.

He peered at me. “I do not know the answer to that question. As a scholar, I can say that there was most likely immense Dark Magic involved and I know little about that branch of magic,” he said.

“So we just accept it? No on has tried to figure out how Voldemort survived?” I asked.

“Miss, no Dark Wizard has or ever will match the power Voldemort possessed. He was barely human and our world has learned much from the misery he inflicted. I believe it impossible that we will ever find our world in that state ever again. History teaches us, it shows us our triumphs and mistakes. I believe no one that survived those Dark Times will let that point in History repeat itself! Now, I will continue with relevant information with no further interruptions!” he said.

I sighed. In my opinion, where Voldemort was before showing himself wasn’t nearly as mysterious as how he was able to escape death in the first place.

***

“Dad’s going to kill me!” I whispered to Sarah as we entered Defense class.

“You want to try and charm a copy mine really quick?” she offered as Mack and I sat down on either side of her.

“Thanks, but I think that would anger him more,” I said, shrugging.

“Good afternoon! Before we get started, please hand in your assignments,” Dad said, sitting at his desk.

I sank into my seat as everyone walked up to him and turned in their work. The Abernathy girl smirked as she passed by me and nudged the fat girl behind her. They laughed, so I glared at them. As the two Slytherins headed back to their desk, the Abernathy girl leaned over.

“Daddy’s going to be very angry at his little girl. Maybe she shouldn’t be spending so much time with Muggleborn wenches and werewolf spawn,” she hissed.

Sarah grabbed the back of my robes to prevent me from lunging at Abernathy. “Shut your trap, wench!” I spat.

“LILLIAN!”

I realized too late that my comment was louder than I meant it to be. Silence rang throughout the room as Dad loomed over me.

“Miss Potter, I’d like you to stay after class,” he said.

“Yes, sir” I mumbled.

Sarah and Mack made to protest, but I silenced them with a shake of my head. I knew that any reasons they gave my dad for my outburst wouldn’t erase the fact that I said what I said. Oh, how I loathed that Abernathy girl. She strutted around, acting like she knew so much more than anyone else. Before our mutual dislike had manifested, I had asked her how she knew so much, and if she would share her knowledge. She laughed in my face and said she’d tell me more when I was older, obviously my parents didn’t think I could handle the truth because I was too weak. Our relationship…blossomed quite quickly from that point.

For the rest of the lesson, I ignored my dad and glared at the Abernathy girl. I wasn’t surprised to see her meet my glare with one of her own.

***

I waited until everyone left to approach my dad at his desk. He closed the door with a flick of his wand and looked at me.

“I can’t believe you, Lily! What has Rebecca Abernathy ever done to you?” he asked.

Rebecca…that was her name.

“Well?” he asked again.

“She constantly provokes me, Dad. Every class we have together, every time we run into each other, she’s got some smart ass comment flying out of that oversized hole in her face!” I said.

He stared at me in shock and I blushed in embarrassment. “You have been hanging around those boys too much. Do you hear yourself? Your mum would be beside herself right now,” he told me.

I just glared in reply.

“You didn’t hand in your assignment either. Why would that be?” he asked, cocking an eyebrow.

My heart skipped a beat and I felt my hands twitch because I wanted to wring them. I took a moment to inhale deeply through my nose and stared back in my dad’s green eyes. “If you already know the answer, why do you need to ask me?” I asked, coolly.

He shook his head. “Lily, what are you searching for? What are you so keen on finding?” he asked, grabbing my hand.

“I’ll get you that assignment tomorrow, Professor. If you’re going to give me a detention, let me know. I need to go to dinner,” I said, wrenching my hand from his grasp, grabbing my bag and heading toward the door.

“You never answered my question,” Dad said.

“Answers, Dad,” I said, slamming the door behind me.

***

As I sat at a table in the common room finishing my homework, I heard a tapping on the window behind me. Turning, I recognized the Longbottoms’ owl looking at me. I grabbed the letter from its beak and ran up to my dorm to open it.

Dear Lily-
First I should tell you that your mother has already informed me of this dream. I am no expert in the field of Divination, but I do know a few things. I just want you to understand that you should be talking to your parents about these things too because they can help more.

I will tell you that, whether a dream or a vision, there most likely is a message within it. Keep an open mind, but tread carefully in that world of the subconscious. You are not ever invincible, even when you are asleep. If anything, you are more vulnerable in that state. If these incidents continue, you must tell your father and mother. Don’t let your anger blind you, dear, it will only cause problems.

I hope term is going well and I will see you over the holidays!

Love Always,

Luna


Sighing, I tossed the letter to the floor. Luna’s reply had been useless, except to identify her as an ally to my parents. Damn, did they have to have eyes and ears everywhere?

I got up and changed into my pajamas. I headed to the bathroom to brush my teeth and then returned to the dorm and climbed into bed, the entire time trying to grasp everything. Besides my reoccurring dream (or whatever it was), there was the whole Potter Conspiracy thing to uncover and to figure out what Abernathy knew and how she knew it. It was so confusing! And I can’t even tell if it’s all connected.

I rolled onto my stomach and buried my head under my pillow. I groaned in frustration and tried to listen to the silence, seeing if it would somehow answer me. I gave up some ten minutes later and rolled back onto my back.

I was in that room again, the same candle flickering the same pattern across the same wall. And there was the same woman huddling the same way in the same corner. I watched her for a moment before deciding to walk in the opposite direction this time. I had never gone this way before and I became more curious as the surrounding darkness became a bit lighter. As my eyes adjust, I realized I was in a graveyard.

I strolled along, my feet seeming to know exactly where to go. As I walked through the lush grass, I felt a growing cold inching its way over my body. A breeze swept by, tossing up the leaves on the ground and causing my hair to fly into my face.

My feet stopped and turned me to the nearest headstone. I read the name, tracing each letter with my fingertips. The name seemed familiar in some way, but I couldn’t place it.

TOM RIDDLE

I closed my eyes and whispered the name inside my mind. I didn’t recognize it, but it carried a feeling of foreboding. I opened my eyes to see I wasn’t standing in the same spot. I seemed to be floating, looking down at the sudden group of people standing around. I could tell by the atmosphere this was not a pleasant place to be. The dark figures were surrounding a tall, thin figure in the middle. There was a person tied up to the same headstone I had just touched. The person was fighting against the bonds, struggling to break free.

I closed my eyes and made myself move closer. When I opened them, I was back on the ground again. There was a body next to my feet and when I bent down to look at him, I saw he was dead. I swallowed a sudden surge of vomit and forced myself to draw a deep breath.

“Oh my God!” I whispered, taking in his young looks. He appeared to be no older than Katy. His eyes were wide open, gazing blankly ahead and his face was set in an expression of pure fear and shock. His robes were torn and I caught sight of some writing on his shirt. I peered closer and read two simple words: THE SPARE.

A cry of pain pierced my ears, causing my attention to turn away from the body. That voice…I knew that voice. I ran to the headstone and saw the person bound was young too, with black hair. He looked up, past me, and my heart sank into my stomach, my breath caught in my throat, and tears began falling nonstop. I was staring into a pair of green eyes I knew all too well.

“Dad? DAD! What’s happening? Where are we?” I asked, frantically trying to undo the ropes around him.

His scream pierced my ears again and I shut my eyes against the pain rippling through me. I knew I was screaming too, but I couldn’t make myself stop. He was in so much pain! I wanted to help him, but the harder I tried, the farther away I felt myself drifting.

“DAD!” I yelled as another one of his screams of pain caused me to sob.

‘Wake up, Lily! I know I’m dreaming. It’s just a dream, open your eyes and it will go away!’ I told myself.

But I was back in the room with the woman again. I was shaking and surprised to see she was sitting at the table, with a cup of tea in front of her.

“It is not a dream, Lillian. It is the True Past. You must understand the Past to save the Future, it is the only way,” she said, softly.

I tried to speak, but I couldn’t. My mouth refused to move and I gestured to show that to the woman. She smiled a sad smile. “It is always a shame to put such large duties on such young people,” she said to me.

“Ask, Lily. Ask Him,” she said.

I opened my eyes and found myself back in my dorm. No lights were on and I heard the sounds of four sleeping girls around me. I was shaking, sweaty and feeling quite nauseous and I knew where I needed to go. Quietly, I left the dorm and slipped through the portrait hole. As soon as I was in the corridor, I tapped the nearest portrait awake. It was a kind looking woman sitting at a table with a book in her hand.

“Yes, dear?”

“Do you know where Professor Potter is right now?” I asked.

She smiled. “In the headmaster’s office, dear,” she replied.

I nodded and began running toward Snape’s office. “Dear, you don’t know the password!” I heard her yell.

I ignored her because I did know it. And like any eleven year old with access to their parent after a nightmare, I needed my dad. I also hoped finding him would serve another purpose besides comfort; I was hoping he’d explain what it was that I saw. I reached the gargoyle and shouted, “Phoenix Prince!” and sprinted up the stairs.

Without knocking, I crashed through the door and ignored all cries of surprise. I turned and looked my dad right in the eye. I was panting, but I still managed to speak.

“I know…about…the…graveyard,” I said, collapsing in an armchair as my dad and Snape stared at me in shock.