Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Following His Father's Footsteps by bling_baby

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: James' arrival on the Hogwarts express and James feels the full weight of his father's fame.
2 YEARS LATER...

"I'm going to Hogwarts," chanted Lily Potter repeatedly in excitement, skipping along Platform Nine and Three Quarters.

James smiled politely in response, although he had been wanting to rid himself of her all through the car journey and every moment in King's Cross since as she continued to praise the fact that was going to finally be one of Hogwarts' students - a moment she had been waiting for since she was seven, when James first came to the school of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

"Lily, will you please shut up?" However, Albus was much more vocal about how annoying Lily had became over the past week.

"Al," began James, taking pride in his authority as the elder brother, "you were just as excited as Lily when -" James could not finish his lecture, as Albus had wandered off. This left James with Lily and Hugo, who was shyly walking behind.

Lily's eyes became wide as steam burst from the Hogwarts Express. "Come on, Hugo! I want to be the first on!"

The two first-years walked away from James, after a loud yelp from Hugo, and now James Potter finally could have a moment of peace.

Walking through the masses of overenthusiastic students and anxious parents, James searched for a familiar face and for a while but had no luck. Now and again, students would stare at him and he could hear the odd sentence which usually, one way or another, had 'Harry Potter' somewhere in there.

One second-year took a deep breath and walked right in front of James. Even though he knew what was about to be said by the girl, he smiled patiently and tried to quickly escape. Unfortunately, the second-year had a particularly strong grip.

"You're James Potter, aren't you?" Her voice was high and childish and it was obvious that she was trying her best to make it sound professional.

"Yes," replied James blandly. He then tried again to step away but the girl's hand was still clutching his arm.

"Wow. So you're Harry Potter's son? The Harry Potter's son?"

It was clear that the girl was not going to let James so free until she had a full interview. He sighed and finally said, "Yes."

Next time, he thought to himself angrily, just lie.

The girl beamed at him and her hold on James' arm became loose but still in place, ready for any escape plan. "That is so amazing! He was so brave... I'm sure that he has told you loads of stories!"

"Yes, so I heard. However, he usually just reminisces with his friends ... and his wife." James made sure to stress the fact that his father was in a relationship as it was crucial. It was the only way that the girls knew that asking James what his father's shoe size was and then giggling was probably not appropriate.

"Oh, I know. Ginny. She's really good at Quidditch." The girl then took her hand off his arm and held it out. "I'm Esmina Dunlop."

James never knew the name but he recognised her. Esmina liked to think that she was more mature than she actually was. This made her feel that she was entitled to try and become best friends with the seventh-years. Good luck, Victoire...

"Nice to meet you." It was not as if James could introduce himself; she already knew him.

After another failed escape attempt, James stood for what felt like an eternity while she rambled on about herself, now and again batting her eyelashes at James.

"You probably don't care about that though..."

Damn straight. James shook his head. "No, that's really interesting. I mean, who knew it was so hard to tan..."

Esmina continued her own audio autobiography until finally, Esmina turned as a hand was placed on her shoulder. Doing so, she now became face-to-face with Venice Adams.

Venice, properly pronounced Ve-niece rather than the city - something which Venice found she always had to point out, was one of the most feared girls in the school. Her back combed, ginger hair matched her angry personality and her eyes were often hidden by a thick rim of eyeliner and mascara. Fortunately for James, Venice also happened to be one of his best friends.

"Oh, Venice!"

"Ve-niece," spat Venice impatiently.

"Of-of c-c-course!" Esmina looked as if she had been struck around the face. "I-I -"

"Walk away." Venice's glare went through Esmina like a dagger.

Esmina nodded weakly in response and scurried away. Venice expression transformed to a friendly and pleasant grin. "God, I love it when they run. Cracks me up every time."

James wrapped his arm around her. "Thank you."

"Come on." Venice begun to walk towards the train. "We need to get a compartment before it's full."

"What about the others?"

Venice grunted. "Have you already blocked it from you're memory? They're prefects now."

He probably had. James never thought that he would become prefect but he certainly did not think that the others would. Lola was the most likely one but she was hardly an asset to the school and Aidan was a complete surprise; the boy cared more about his toenail than school issues. Hearing the news, it made James question for the first time why he did not get it. Before then, the badge did not really mean anything to him.

~*~*~**~*~*~


The landscape rapidly passed James by as he looked out, his cheek pressed against the frosty window. Venice looked at him for a few moments and then kicked him and said, "For Merlin's sake, James, being a prefect isn't a big deal anyway. I'm not a prefect..."

"I'm not bothered about that," lied James.

"Look, either this prefect thing is eating you up inside or you're fantasizing about Lola Dukes again, which I really hope isn't true." Venice then muttered under her breath, "There are other women here, you know..."

James bolted up. "I am not!"

"Sure..."

"What? Do you really think after all this time I would still like her? You might as well say that I spent the whole summer pining over her..."

This fact was sadly true. Ever since Lola Dukes came over from America two years ago, James had felt drawn to her. She was slightly vein and obnoxious sometimes but James still could not resist watching every step she took, he certainly enjoyed the view. The summer was unbearable as he could not see her face once. He had pondered over sending her a message by owl but removed the idea from his thoughts, concluding that it was too desperate.

This, Ladies and Gentlemen is the son of The brave, honourable Harry Potter!

"Whatever," muttered Venice, taking a large bite from her chocolate frog. "Because if not, James. You know, she's not as great as everybody thinks. I mean, seriously, she can be a bit of a bitch sometimes. You can do so much better..."

"Like who?" said James absently.

Venice glared at James. "Sorry, I was wrong. You two are perfect for each other."

"You just said she was a bitch."

"I know," stated Venice.

James laughed at Venice comment, even if she did not see the comical side of it. "Sorry. But I assure you, Venice, I have no interest - "

Before James could finish, the lights of the compartment and the whole train went out. Immediately, Venice and James were both thrown to one side by a sudden jolt. Venice stood up and peered out of the window. "We're not moving."

"Well done," said James sarcastically. He tried to stand up but he began to feel dizzy. Venice appeared to be swaying.

"James?" Venice noticed James' weak appearance.

"I just feel a little..." James then collapsed to the ground.

"James!"

Everything around James began to become blurry.

"James!"

He began to slip away.

"James..."

And everything fell silent.
Chapter Endnotes: Here's where the story really begins so hope you enjoyed it!