Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Sadie Murray and the Enigma Scroll by star_sailor

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Magic? Witches? Wizards? Levitating Spells? The Salem Institute? What is all this nonsense? Could all of this actually be real?


It was one in the morning now, but Sadie and Kelsey were still awake. The lamp was on and shined its light throughout the room as Sadie sat on the couch. Kelsey was sitting across from her, on the table where the cup lay, still on its side.


Sadie must have been dreaming. She could have sworn that Kelsey had made that cup float in mid-air! But that was not possible. There was no way someone could have made something float - it simply wasn't possible. But for the last hour and a half, Kelsey had been trying to explain her actions to Sadie.


"No, none of this makes sense. How is it possible?" Sadie exclaimed.


"You just have to realize I'm telling the truth, Sadie," Kelsey firmly explained. "It's magic."


"But that's just silly. Magic is in fairy tales, and books, and in the movies. It can't be... it can't be real."


"It is real, you saw it for yourself. I'm a witch, Sadie. My entire family is a wizarding family. We all have magical powers, and we can use them to cast spells."


"With that stick? That wand?" Sadie said, pointing at the strange piece of wood that Kelsey had used to force the cup to levitate, which Kelsey held in her lap. Kelsey's wand was a light brown hue and seemed to be quite thick and sturdy. It was no longer in length than a ruler, and though Sadie knew she shouldn't fear this wand, it still gave her the creeps.


"Yes, the wands let us use our magic. We're wizards, Sadie! And witches! This isn't fake; I wouldn't lie to you."


"But I just can't believe it," Sadie confessed. "How is it that I've never seen anyone with magic? If there are more of you, like you said, where are they all?"


Kelsey had told a whole story that sounded like a fairy tale in itself. She told Sadie that there were wizards all around the world, who lived among ordinary people, simply out of their eyeshot. These wizards and witches knew all sorts of magic, and could use it for anything they needed: from cooking, to cleaning, to healing illnesses, and everything in between. Wizards had apparently been around for thousands of years, but they remained hidden so they didn't terrify ordinary people with their powers. As Kelsey had explained, not everybody could use magic.


"Wizards and witches are just like us, Sadie. You didn't know we were wizards until I told you."


"I noticed you and your family were really weird, yeah."


"But you wouldn't have known I was a witch if I didn't explain it to you. Admit it, you wouldn't ever have believed me if I just said 'Oh, by the way, everyone in my family is a wizard and witch, and we can use magic,' would you have?"


Sadie thought about this seriously. Despite the quirkiness of Kelsey's family, she would never have guessed they could be wizards. Unique, yes. Strange, maybe. But magical would have been on the last of Sadie's guesses. "No... probably not. But why did you tell me? Why did you show me if it's this big secret?"


"Because you were being honest with me. And I believed you. And because you used magic, Sadie."


"But how? I'm not a wizard. Wouldn't someone have told me so I would have known all this stuff?"


"You definitely would have known if you were in a wizarding family. There's no sense in wizards hiding their powers from each other. You've got to be full-Muggle, I bet."


"Muggle? You've used that word several times now," Sadie asked as Kelsey yawned. Sadie struggled to keep up with all these strange things Kelsey told her, remembering to pinch herself to make sure she hadn't started to dream.


"People who aren't wizards, and don't normally use magic. Muggles don't know about us, and frankly, most of us wizards don't know anything about Muggles either. But, the fact is, once in awhile, a Muggle can use magic, and they can perform magical spells. You used a Vanishing Spell on the turkey, and the balancing beam, not to mention the Levitating Spell on the turkey. And I don't even know what you did to your cousin, but it was definitely something magical."


"But how though?" demanded Sadie, "I don't have a wand. I wasn't concentrating at all, and it just happened. I didn't know what I was doing - I didn't even know magic was real."


"That's normal for kids like us. You have to learn how to use magic, and it's pretty tough. Most kids our age don't know how to use it, so it just kinda comes out sometimes. Like a sixth sense almost. It's uncontrollable and second nature until you're taught how to use it. Emotions can affect your magic though, and you were really mad and sad when all those things happened."


"But why hasn't anyone told me about this?" Sadie queried, still finding all this information hard to believe.


"Because you were surrounded by Muggles. And even if you did know a wizard or witch, like my grandma, they didn't know you were magical. I was taking a huge risk showing you magic, and telling you all this, actually..."


"What do you mean? What risk?"


"I..." Kelsey started somewhat bashfully, "I could have gotten in trouble with the Administration and the ICW."

Sadie gave Kelsey a very blank expression that she felt was appropriate, which showed Kelsey needed to explain more. Kelsey took a minute to collect herself, taking a deep breath, as Sadie tapped her foot incessantly. Finally, Kelsey continued.


"Well... you see, there are magical people all over the world, and they're organized by magical governments, which do all these political things. I don't know much about them specifically, but generally they let wizards know what they can and can't do. My mom used to work for the United Sorcerer's Administration, which is in charge of things in the United States, and my dad works with them now, so what I know I've learned from them.


"But one of the big rules laid out by this group called the International Confederation of Wizards, is that we can't tell Muggles about magic, or the wizarding world."


"Then why did you tell me?" Sadie asked somewhat loudly and very accusatory. Sadie couldn't bear the thought of Kelsey getting in trouble over her.


"I don't know, I just didn't feel like I should lie to you. And you told me about how you accidentally used magic, so I knew you were a witch, without a doubt. They say it's illegal for wizards to reveal their magic to Muggles, or use it around Muggles. But Muggles can't use magic like you! You're almost in-between the law."


"But how will you know if you disobeyed it? Since I'm in-between, like you said."


"Well, I've been telling you for almost two hours now about the wizarding world, and showed you magic before that. They would have reacted by now. I remember when Tristan learned a hex when he was younger from some boy a long time ago. He used it on someone who was being mean when we were here at my grandma's house. Within ten minutes, the Administration knocked on the door and issued us this huge fine."


Sadie could not contain a quiet gasp at the thought of scary officials showing up on the doorstep. She almost turned to look out the window just in case, but contained herself. "But that's different. Hexes are dangerous spells that can hurt people. Mine was harmless, and technically, you're a witch, so it shouldn't matter. I think if it were illegal, they would have shown up by now. But this is amazing!"

"What is?" asked Sadie. This was so much information, it was hard for her to take it all in.


"You might be coming to school with me!"


"To that boarding school?"


"Yeah! Hold on, just a second." Kelsey returned to her bag of things, dug as she did previously for her wand, and this time, pulled out an envelope. Kelsey sat next to Sadie, took the letter out, and handed it to her. It was very official looking parchments, with ornate handwriting. Sadie read it in the lamplight.




The Salem Institute
of Magical Learning


________________________________________

Dean: Pravus Bojovnic


(United Sorcerer's Administration, Former Junior-Executive;
International Confed. of Wizards, US Ambassador)

________________________________________





Dear Ms. Yates,

The Salem Institute of Magical Learning is proud to welcome, Kelsey Yates, as a prospective student to our fine magical academy. If Kelsey Yates wishes to enroll and attend The Salem Institute of Magical Learning, she is required to send a reply to this letter, via owl, to The Salem Institute of Magical Learning Enrollment Office by no later than July 31. Any owl arriving after 12:00 A.M., August 1, is considered late, and enrollment is null and void to the prospective student.

The fall semester begins on September 1. All necessary materials (uniforms, books, equipment, etc.) for 1st-year students may be found in the enclosed list that accompanies this letter.

Congratulations,


Pravus Bojovnic
Dean






"The Salem Institute for Magical Learning," Sadie murmured quietly to herself. The letter seemed very official, and after all Sadie had seen tonight, she was willing to believe it was real.


"Yeah, Salem or SI for short. But imagine that! If you've been accepted, and just haven't gotten your letter yet, we'd be going together! We might even be put in the same house together." Kelsey finished, almost lost in her thoughts.


"Or you may never see each other again," said a voice at the edge of the room that made both Sadie and Kelsey's hearts jump. It was Kelsey's grandmother.


"What do you mean, Grandma?" Kelsey asked, trying to sound innocent.


"You don't have to try and hide it. I heard everything. And I knew, Sadie, that you were a witch."


Kelsey was fearful for a moment, but she instantly became confused, along with Sadie, due to this comment. "How?"


"I found Sadie on the swing set in the playground," Ms. Yates explained, coming closer to the girls. "Normally, I would have just been concerned. But I was a bit more concerned, considering the fact that the swing next to her was swinging itself around."



"But it's all true then? This isn't some sort of strange dream?" Sadie asked, searching for confirmation. She still hardly believed what she had heard, yet somehow, it all seemed to make more sense. This couldn't be some strange practical joke. Everything seemed real - everything felt real.


"It is real, Sadie, and you are a witch. I am not going to guarantee that you will be accepted to Kelsey's school, though, and I must impress upon both of you exactly how serious this situation is. Kelsey, you should not have confessed what you did to Sadie, no matter how much you trusted her, and no matter that you knew she was a Muggle-born witch."

Kelsey tried to say something, but her grandmother stopped her. "And Sadie, I must warn you. You are a witch, and you do have magical blood in you. But I must advise you to tell nobody of this, lest you face dire consequences. Understand?"


Sadie nodded.


"Also, I unfortunately can not let you stay another night."

Neither Kelsey or Sadie took this news well. They attempted to argue, but Ms. Yates stopped once more.

"I have kept you here too long, and though I dare say your stay has been enjoyable, this is not your home. Your family misses you. I have spoken with your parents and said you had been staying here for the past two nights, that you're safe, and you will return home promptly tomorrow morning."

"They don't miss me!" Sadie asserted testily. "They just want to send me to some hospital to fix my 'problems.'"

"Be that as it may, I can't force them not to. They're your parents, and their decision is what matters."

"I guess... Will I ever be able to see you all again?" she asked Kelsey.


"You would be crazy to think we wouldn't!" Kelsey replied somewhat loudly, "I come here almost every year around now and Christmas!"


"And the rest of us would be delighted to see you again," Ms. Yates said. "But, it is quite late, and we'll be needing an early start tomorrow as well, Kelsey. So I suggest you get some sleep."

Ms. Yates left them, and returned to her room. Sadie and Kelsey spoke only for a bit longer, mostly reminiscing their weekend. Kelsey told Sadie that when she was at school, she would send Sadie letters, and they could keep in contact until she returned for winter break.

But eventually, they turned out the light, and as they lay there, Sadie thought to herself. She had a new best friend, one who had shown her so much just in one night. But what was more, Kelsey trusted her enough to get into serious trouble. Sadie had never experienced trust like that before. Like the shadows of the tree that was on the wall, she drifted as if she were in the breeze until she fell into a deep sleep.





The morning after Sadie learned so much she had never known, the fateful day had come. Sadie was to rejoin her family after two days of being away. It was far too short by her standards, but she realized how kind it was for Ms. Yates to let her stay, especially while her family was over.


Sadie stayed for breakfast in the morning. Kelsey's grandmother had told everyone that Sadie had guessed that they were wizards, and told them about her experience with magic the two days prior. A stress that had been gripping Mr. Yates instantly vanished, and he began talking more normally and less inhibited. Lindsay Yates was also much more conversational now that she could resume what Sadie could only assume was regular discussion of all things magical, none of which Sadie could interpret.


After breakfast, it was time for Sadie to depart. She reluctantly grabbed her bag, and sadly prepared to leave. But the Yates weren't about to let her leave feeling sour; they all said their goodbyes at great length, about how happy they were to have met her, and how they couldn't wait to meet her again. Tristan spat out one last question, while Sadie and Kelsey exchanged a large hug. Then, Sadie stepped out and strode past the very beautiful garden of Ms. Yates' home. After she had walked a ways down the street, she turned back to see the Yates all waving at her. Sadie hated to leave their company, but couldn't have been happier to have met such amazing people.


Strangely enough, when she had walked the length of Mayflower Drive, she saw that her family was standing on the porch awaiting her arrival, though both her sisters stood more reluctantly, as Leah bounced around in place and Jayne texted on her cell phone.


As soon as Sadie came close enough, her father met her with a hug. "We were so worried, Sadie. Please don't do that to us again."


"I won't, Dad." She felt glad they had missed her, or at least noticed she was gone, though her mother still looked apprehensive.

"Let's go on inside, shall we?" Sadie's dad said, motioning everyone indoors.


The family slowly made their way inside the house. As soon as they returned, both Leah and Jayne went straight into the living room to the TV that was already on, awaiting them. Her mother, however, had stopped in the entryway, and was whispering to her father.


She was loud enough so that Sadie overheard, "You must tell her, James."


"Jane, honey. We can't do that."


"She must go, James. We have to agree if we are to be good parents."


Sadie didn't need to be told what they were speaking of. She knew her mother was talking about the hospital. Sadie's temper instantly rose to a boil as she openly yelled at her mother. "Is this some kind of joke? I've taken five steps into the house and you want me out?"


"It must be done. You must go in for treatment," her mother replied with a somewhat wavering confidence. Sadie's mother shook her head and coughed, and Sadie knew her mother was trying not to cry.


But this was no less insulting. "You're insane!" Sadie yelled. Sadie's father attempted to calm her, but Sadie knew that wasn't about to happen. She had to speak up for herself. "I just ran away from home! Don't you get it?"


"You are flawed, Sadie. And they can fix that."


"How am I flawed? You're flawed!"


"And now you make accusations to your own mother?" she said, shaking her head disappointedly.


"Better than accusing your own daughter of being flawed! You're flawed. I'm flawed. My dad, my sisters, this whole town, this whole world; everyone's flawed, Mom! Nobody can be ever be perfect, no matter what you could possibly think perfect is."


"I AM PERFECT!" her mother yelled with an ear piercing scream. The room went silent, except for the TV chattering in the background. Jayne and Leah had both been watching the argument, Leah now whimpering with tears after her mother's scream. Sadie had never seen her father so shocked, and she herself was knocked backwards by her mother's rage. From the floor, Sadie watched as her mother stared directly into her eyes and continued.


"I AM PERFECT! I AM PERFECT! I have a perfect life, and a perfect family. A perfect husband, a perfect home, a perfect neighborhood, and two very perfect children! But you... You are the one innocent, careless little smudge that won't come off. You were never right, you were never normal, and never perfect! I tried, I truly did, but you remained average, ordinary, and... unperfect. You will never be perfect, you will never amount to anything, and - OH MY - GAHHHHH!"


Leah and Jayne screamed in unison while Sadie and her father ducked for cover in panic. Completely at random, a large, brown barn owl flew straight through the still open front door. It clearly didn't anticipate Sadie's mother to be just within the house, and it collided into the back of her head. It quickly beginning to flap its wings vigorously in defense as Sadie's mother attempted to slap the owl in a confused frenzy. Her mother eventually hopped aside, pressing her back as firmly to the wall as it would allow, and the owl hovered in the entryway flapping its wings still wildly. It gave a quick look around the room, and upon seeing Sadie, kindly tossed a letter that it had been carrying in its talons right into her hand before it soared into the dining room and landed calmly on a chair.


The room, if possible, was even more silent than after Sadie's mother's scream. Everyone stared at Sadie and the letter, her mother looking particularly furious. Her mother opened her mouth as if she was going to scream a scream that could shatter windows.


But her scream was one of panic as soon as she heard the woman who had appeared behind her through the front door say, "Good morning. I believe you are the Murray family?"


"AHHHHH!" screamed Sadie's mother.


"That is not the greeting I usually receive, but I dare say I have gotten similar responses recently," confessed the woman politely, though somewhat annoyed. She was dressed in a long, navy blue robe, and wore a matching pointed had. The robe had a shield that was embroidered on the left side of her chest. The woman had very small square-shaped glasses pushed up close to her eyes. Her brown hair was tied up and hidden beneath her pointy hat, making her look very uptight.


"My, you look dreadful, madam. Are you alright?" the woman asked Sadie's mother. After the skirmish with the owl, Sadie's mother's pristinely orchestrated hairstyle was left wild, hair pointing in all directions, and her clothes were covered in feathers. "You could probably do with a hair brushing or two. No matter." The woman pulled a stick out of her pocket, which Sadie recognized as a wand. "Planto Somes."

With a wave of her wand, a gust of wind blew out of the witch's wand that somehow returned Sadie's mother's hair and clothes back to normal.


"Now, where were we?" she asked to herself, looking about the room. She then saw Sadie on the floor, "Ah, there you are. No need to sit on the floor now."

Sadie got to her feet. "Now, normally," the strange lady stated to the whole room, "I explain myself beforehand, then incorporate the reading of the letter your daughter now has in her possession. But seeing how this went poorly on the last three occasions in a row, I think I'll let her read the letter first, and then allow time to clear up any confusion."


Everyone was completely confused and dumbfounded, but somehow all nodded their heads in approval. This couldn't be happening, thought Sadie. Could this be what she thought it was? On the front, there was the same shield that was on the woman's robe. Inside the shield was with a large S near the bottom, with two wands above it in the shape of a roof. Under the design, the envelope read in red ink:




Ms. Sadie J. Murray
3000 Mayflower Drive
3015 Mayflower Drive
Trail Lake, Illinois



She quickly turned the envelope around. It was sealed with red wax, showing the same coat of arms. She quickly broke the seal and opened the letter. She held her breath briefly, not ready to believe whatever the letter may have said. She read aloud.




The Salem Institute
of Magical Learning


________________________________________

Dean: Pravus Bojovnic

(United Sorcerer's Administration, Former Junior-Executive;
International Confed. of Wizards, US Ambassador)

________________________________________



Dear Ms. Murray,

The Salem Institute of Magical Learning is proud to welcome, Sadie Murray, as a prospective student to our fine magical academy. If Sadie Murray wishes to enroll and attend The Salem Institute of Magical Learning, she is required to send a reply to this letter, via owl, to The Salem Institute of Magical Learning Enrollment Office by no later than July 31. Any owl arriving after 12:00 A.M., August 1, is considered late, and enrollment is null and void to the prospective student.

The fall semester begins on September 1. All necessary materials (uniforms, books, equipment) for 1st-year students may be found in the enclosed list that accompanies this letter, as well as directions to the train that transports all students to the Salem Institute on September 1.

Because you, Sadie Murray, and your family are of non-magical, or Muggle, heritage, to mediate through any misunderstanding, confusion, or further issues, this letter will be accompanied by a member of our staff, Professor Hannelore Ellicott, soon thereafter its arrival.

Congratulations,

Pravus Bojovnic
Dean





It took all the effort in Sadie not to scream with excitement.


"Is this some sort of joke?" Sadie's mother asked, somewhat taken back and offended.


"I'm afraid not, madam," explained the woman. "I, as the letter stated, am Professor Ellicott, and I'm here to answer any questions you may have about our academy. First, I'd like..."

"Magic?!" Sadie's mother hollered wildly, still completely bewildered.

"Yes, magic, madam. On second thought, it might be best that we all sit down," Professor said as she nonchalantly made her way into the Murray's living room. She sat down on a chair which was across from one of the two couches. She looked remorsefully at the TV before she flicked her wand at it - it turned off immediately. Everyone, including Sadie's sisters gathered in the living room. Sadie sat nearer to Professor Ellicott, expecting that if her mother was to attempt to murder her, she should be as near to a witch as possible.


"Would you like a drink, Ms. Murray? Mr. Murray?" Professor Ellicott asked. With a wave of her wand, two glasses of some sort of liquid, Sadie assumed alcohol, appeared out of thin air. Another point of the wand sent the glasses gracefully floating over to her parents.


Sadie's father took the glass suspiciously, sniffed its contents, and then drank it. He seemed to enjoy it. Sadie's mother took the glass and looked at it unhappily before putting it down. "Magic?!" she hollered again in the same loud half-scream.


"Yes, as you said before, magic. Now, this is the essential point you must come to understand before we can make any sort of headway in this conversation. I am a witch, and your daughter, though Muggle-born, is a witch as well."

Sadie beamed to hear someone so official looking say this aloud, but her mother quickly shot her an angrily confused glance, so Sadie hid her happiness.


"And what is this word you keep using?" Sadie's dad asked, almost amused, "Muggle?"


"Yes, Muggle, or someone who is not a witch or wizard, with no magical powers. You all are Muggles, whereas I, and your daughter here, are witches, or wizards, if you prefer a broader term."

"And what do you mean by this... magic," Sadie's mother asked angrily.

Over the next hour and a half, the Murray family sat and listened to Professor Ellicott. Sadie's father asked all of the questions while Sadie's mother remained silent. They all attempted to digest the information Professor Ellicot was giving them. Thankfully, Sadie had heard the same basic explanation the night previous from Kelsey, so she already understood much of what was being discussed. Professor Ellicot spoke about the magical government in the United States, the United Sorcerer's Administration, and many of its laws, as well as how a magical quill had written Sadie's name down eleven years ago preparing to accept Sadie to the Salem Institute, though she went over all this information so quickly, even Sadie had difficulty following what was said.


As Sadie's parents slowly began to gain an understanding, Professor Ellicott changed her discussion.


"Now, Sadie has been accepted to The Salem Institute. This is a very prestigious honor that your average Muggle is not allowed. Essentially, it is her decision whether she wishes to attend or not. But seeing as you are her parents, you have a deciding factor as well. Dean Bojovnic, and the enrollment committee at the school are awaiting Ms. Murray's reply letter that either confirms or rejects her enrollment, preferably as soon as possible.


"Herein lies the moment where you, as a family, must come to the decision whether Ms. Murray will attend or not."


Sadie's mother had become much more intrigued over the past hour and a half, as Professor Ellicott had continued to use words such as prestigious, esteemed, and respected.

"You said it would cost?" she asked the professor.


"Yes, only for the supplies she will need annually. There is no tuition, and transportation to and from the school, and of course the schooling itself, is free of charge. Though be aware, acceptance is a serious commitment. She will be expected to complete at least her first five years at Salem, as well as be highly encouraged to continue her education for the remaining two years."


Sadie's mother thought to herself for a moment. "Hmm... And how will this affect her college career?"


"Excuse me, madam?"


"Well, will this, 'Salem Institute' give her a fair recommendation that would allow her entry into a fine academic institution, such as Yale?"


There was a long pause as Professor Ellicott put her hands to her face. "I believe you were not paying attention when I was describing the details of the Statute of Secrecy. Not only will this not guarantee her a place in a 'fine Muggle academic institution,' I wouldn't see why she would bother going to one after her education at the Salem Institute."


Sadie's mother gave an impertinent huff, but Sadie's father sat forward in his seat. "Sadie, do you really want to go?" His wife looked at him almost in shock.


"Yes!" Sadie insisted.


"Then, Jane, I think we should let her go."


"Are you joking? To some eccentric old school we know nothing about? You actually believe this strange woman?"


"Considering she's made a couple glasses of whiskey appear out of nowhere, I'm going to have to say yes, honey."


Sadie's mother tried desperately to argue, finally prattling, "She won't be going," without further deliberation.


"You can't do that."


This was exactly what Sadie was thinking, but she had not said these words. Her sister, Jayne said them. "It's her decision, mom. Let her, like, think for herself."


Their mother was taken aback. Sadie was too; she assumed her sister would remain neutral, but Jayne was staring strongly and approvingly toward her. Sadie's mother deliberated in her own mind further, until finally, in a very small voice, she mumbled, "Fine."

Sadie was so excited she jumped straight out of the chair to hug her mother and father.


"Very well," said the professor, seeming to be somewhat impatient. She politely coughed aloud, and within moments, the owl that had collided with Sadie's mother flew from the dining room, where it had been hooting. Professor Ellicott scribbled something on a piece of paper, tied it to the owl's leg, and patted it kindly on its back. The owl took flight and sailed out the door.


"Now, normally it would be my job to direct you to Orthogon Avenue, an area that caters to wizards, where Ms. Murray could purchase her necessary supplies. But I recently learned before dropping by that your young daughter has recently made friends with a wizarding family. Ms. Kelsey Yate's family?"

The entire family looked between Professor Ellicott and Sadie, as Sadie nodded in confirmation.


"Yes, well, Ms. Murray, it seems the Yates have kindly offered to take you with their family to Orthogon Avenue. You and your family. If that's alright with you, of course."


"That's perfect!" Sadie replied happily.


"Well then, I shall take my leave. It was very," she paused to search for a word, "nice to meet you all. I have a few more letters to deliver. I shall see you at school, Ms. Murray."

She began to walk toward the entryway before turning and saying, "Oh, and do tell Mr. Tristan Yates that I have recently been informed that he will be quodpot captain this year. If you don't mind relaying the message that I expect him to be ready to beat those blasted wolves this year."


Sadie confirmed that she would tell Tristan, even though she didn't have the slightest idea what any of the message meant. Professor Ellicott took four more steps away from the house before taking a short turn on the spot, and disappeared entirely into thin air, only leaving a small cloud of white smoke. Everyone seemed to be silently thinking about the events that had just taken place while Sadie went to her backpack, which she set down in the hallway, to prepare and walk back to Ms. Yates' house, until a knock came to the still open door. Kelsey was in the doorway.

"I told you!"


Sadie rushed to her and gave her a great hug. Kelsey no longer had to be a temporary friend, they were going to school together. In a flash of speed, Kelsey and the Yates' Ford Fiesta came to an abrupt halt in front of Sadie's house. Sadie could distinctly see everyone but Kelsey's grandmother in the car, waving happily, and motioning for them to come.


"Are your parents ready?" Kelsey asked, looking quizzically toward them as they were still firmly placed in the living room. Leah quickly rushed to the doorway, ready to figure out what all this magic business was all about, "HI! I'm Leah!"


"Nice to meet you, Leah," Kelsey said happily. Leah's courage inspired Jayne, then her father, and lastly their mother to all join. They locked the house up and came to the car.


"It might be a tight fit, but I think we'll manage," mentioned Mr. Yates from inside. Kelsey opened the backseat and hopped in, Sadie quick at her heels.


One thing Sadie noticed as she stepped into the car was that it was suspiciously larger than it appeared outside. The car was surely a tiny Ford Fiesta, but inside it felt like a Hummer.

"Engorgement Charm," Mr. Yates commented. "Performed by the Administration as a special favor for Lindsay. It's quite nice actually. They even had a Hastening Charm put onto it as well, and those are usually so expensive to license.

"Hello there!" he chimed as Sadie's family crawled awkwardly into the large interior of the small car. "You must be the rest of the Murrays. Pleasure to meet you."

He shook his father and mothers hands, introducing himself, his wife, and children.


"Now buckle up tight, if you don't mind."


"Where are we going?" Sadie's mother asked.


"Orthogon Avenue, Ms. Murray."


"Yes, and where exactly is that?"


"Where else would anything as interesting as Orthogon Avenue be?" asked Tristan rhetorically. "New York City."
"I've never heard of this 'Orthogon Avenue,' you speak of." Tristan snorted comedically as Sadie's mother continued. "And I suppose we won't be doing our shopping there, until tomorrow," she persisted testily as if she had a resoundingly good point to prove. "It's a good twelve hour drive from here, if you weren't aware. We won't get there 'til nightfall."

"Then you'll be fantastically surprised," Mr. Yates hummed, starting the car. "That we'll be there in two or three hours, the way this lovely car drives. Hold tight."


Sadie's mom was about to ask a question, but instead yelled some babbled jargon of a word very loudly. As soon as Mr. Yates had pushed down on the accelerator, the car lurched forward and began careening down the streets at an impossibly fast speed. Sadie couldn't comprehend how quickly they left Mayflower Drive, and though she could see nothing but the blurred images of suburbia rushing past the windows, she was quite sure she had left her entire town several minutes ago. Her theory proved admirable, as downtown Chicago appeared before them within a few moments, as they went sailing down the roads toward it.


They were navigating through neighborhood streets still, and turning right and left quickly. All of the Yates sat calmly in their seats while Sadie and her family were lurched side to side with each individual turn like a sick rollercoaster ride. But moments later, they came to a highway, wound up the on ramp, and were sailing around the downtown quite smoothly on the open highway road.


Once Sadie gave up trying to keep her bearings in the fast moving car, she asked Kelsey, "So what is at Orthogon Avenue?"


"Oh gosh, everything. It's a pair of streets that meet, which are shaped like a T, and they have all sorts of wizard shops packed over every square inch of the place. But enough about that, because we'll be there all day. How did it go with the whole explaining thing?"


"It went well," Sadie admitted. "I understood most everything."


"Which professor explained everything this year?" Tristan asked.


"Professor Ellicott."


"Oh... I'm sorry," he mumbled, almost as if he were disgusted with a laugh.


"Don't be rude, Tristan!" Ms. Yates said. "Professor Ellicott is a very good teacher. Taught both your father and I as well. I'm willing to bet money she's the best charms teacher the school has ever had."


"Don't listen to them, she's a piece of work," Tristan explained to Sadie, earning a finger pointed to him by his mother. "Nice woman, but she's definitely not kind when it comes to the work she gives out. She's so demanding."


"Well, maybe you should concentrate more on her class and homework rather than Quodpot," his mother insisted.


"Good luck convincing him of that," Mr. Yates laughed. "It's in his blood. I was the Bouncer after all, ever since they let me bring a broom. Only natural that he's such a good Pitcher."


"Oh yeah," Sadie interjected. "The professor asked me to tell you something, Tristan. Something about that Quodpot thing. She said you were captain this year, and..."

Sadie couldn't finish her sentence, because in an instant, Tristan reached across Kelsey, grabbing Sadie by the shoulders and shaking her, yelling, "You're kidding!"


"No I'm not! That's what she said, honest."


The whole car cheered, except for the Murrays, who were quite confused. "My son, captain!" Mr. Yates boasted proudly.


For the rest of the shockingly short trip, the Yates showered Tristan with compliments, and questions about what he thought and was planning to do now that he was a Quodpot captain, whatever Quodpot might be, though Sadie learned from their discussion that it was some sort of sport involving brooms.


For the entire length of car ride, Sadie's family was completely silent. Sadie thought that they hadn't really understood the magical world as much as Sadie did when she learned. She realized she had her doubts at first, but after the things she had done by accident, and meeting Kelsey, it was almost as if she had learned the definition of a word she had been using all along. It all made sense to Sadie.


As Mr. Yates had said, within about two hours and past several blurred cities and towns later, the countryside slowly began to disappear, until it was gone entirely, replaced by dense communities and the infrastructure of a huge city. They slowly began entering the gigantic metropolis that was New York City. Huge skyscrapers began to whiz past in every direction as they wound through the streets to wherever their destination was. Sadie could see the millions of blurs of people all around on the sidewalks.



"Do they not notice?" Sadie asked.


Mrs. Yates giggled before asking, "Well, did you ever notice any wizards before now?"


"No, I didn't."


She laughed again, "There you go then. We wizards take our credit for hiding, yes, but it's astonishing how little Muggles seem to notice us."


"But how can you drive this fast? And how do you hide things."


"The driving is just a good bit of concentration. But - oh, I forget - didn't you have to learn this for your final last year Tristan?"


"Yes," he replied, "it's a theory that was created by Albert Nicklesworth, who participated in the International Confederation of Wizards when they were trying to outline the Statute of Wizarding Secrecy. How do I know all this?" he asked himself.


"I didn't understand any of that," beckoned Sadie.


"Oh... um, well, basically, this guy named Albert Nicklesworth who was this Mugosociologist - I mean scientist - was trying to study how best to go about avoiding Muggles. And he came up with this thing called the Obviously Oblivious theory. It basically says that if wizards hide themselves by putting distance between Muggles, they stand out more, and that wizards should instead hide right next to Muggles. The closer you are to danger, the farther you are from harm, so we blend in with Muggle society in places they won't look because nothing secret would be stupid enough to hide there."


Mr. Yates chimed in, "Also Muggles have this long history of not being able to see things properly that they don't understand. They see this car sailing down the street, but they don't at the same time. They can't comprehend it, and don't try to figure it out because they think they were crazy for seeing it in the first place."


With a sudden lurch, the entire car came to an immediate stop. They were in the valet parking section of the entrance to a very sophisticated looking building. There were gold letters above the luxurious doorway that read Whitney Plaza Hotel. A valet who had previously been enjoying himself was suddenly completely perplexed at the appearance of the car. He shook his head and rubbed his eyes, confusedly approaching the car as all nine people left the vehicle. "Yes, if you don't mind," Mr. Yates told the valet, "I'd like you to park the car in section O."

The boy looked confused still. "Sir, section O is the farthest away from street level."
"Yes, yes, I know. But it is what I'd like, if you don't mind."

The boy shrugged, walked back to the podium which had a ticket machine on it. He took a ticket from it and handed it to Mr. Yates before getting into the vehicle. The ticket had a large O stamped on it. The car started, and Sadie assumed the boy was going to have a right fright when the car began flying at obscene speed. But the car struggled to a sputtering start before it slowly puttered away. The Yates led the way into the hotel.