Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Hero's Lament by L A Moody

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Harry does a bit of reconnaissance with Ron; in the process, he overhears some pretty startling facts from the headmistress.
Disclaimer: The fine tapestry of plot and characters belongs to J.K. Rowling. I am merely pulling threads at will and weaving my own design in counterpoint to hers.


Chapter 22
Answers and Still More Questions


Word of the attack by Severus Snape spread like wildfire throughout the school. Clumps of students were congregating in every corridor, talking in anxious whispers, when Harry returned through the Great Doors. The path to the Hospital Wing was lined with long rows of gaunt faces as he allowed himself to be led there. It was only the fact that Harry’s quarters were not readily accessible that had kept Madam Pomfrey from insisting that he spend the night in the Hospital Wing.

He woke the next morning with a terrible thirst only to find that the tables in the common room were practically groaning with gifts and chocolates from well-wishers. In Ron’s cold cabinet he found a pitcher of pumpkin juice with a note from Hermione reminding him that they were going down to the Quidditch pitch to check out the first official practice of the new Gryffindor team. Harry was sorry he would miss that, but he didn’t relish the thought of going out in the cold again so soon.

Neville returned after doing morning rounds and they shared a nice breakfast in front of the fire. Harry was surprised how hungry he felt all of a sudden. Probably another side effect of that peculiar draught Madam Pomfrey had demanded that he swallow last night.

It wasn’t long before Ron and Hermione returned through the sconce, full of high spirits and aglow from being outdoors.

“Oh, Harry, I’m so glad to see that you’re up!” Hermione gushed, engulfing him in a bear hug that made all of his scrapes and bruises protest.

“You gave us quite a scare last night, mate.” Ron smiled as he helped himself to some of the chocolates that were open on the side table. “Headmistress was fit to be tied.”

“Any word on Lupin?” Harry asked, remembering only too well how much paler the Professor had looked by the time they’d returned to the castle.

“Nothing,” Hermione admitted. “The headmistress wouldn’t say when she came by late last night to check on you. All she said was that he was resting.”

Neville nodded knowingly. “And that’s what they always say when they don’t really want to tell you anything.”

“Right,” Harry sighed, getting up from the sofa. “I’m going to go see him in person then. Anyone else fancy a walk to the Hospital Wing?”

“Harry, you can’t go,” Hermione cautioned, restraining him gently by the shoulder.

“She’s right, Harry,” Ron added solemnly. “McGonagall said Madam Pomfrey had barred the doors or else. She sent a lot of disappointed students back to their Houses “ reckon half the school was there.”

Seeing the stricken look on Harry’s face, Neville offered to go scare up an update. “Let them try to turn me away,” he cried defiantly as he pinned the Head Boy insignia to his jumper.

He returned minutes later with the headmistress herself in tow.

“I’m glad to see you’re doing better, Harry.” She smiled. “I told Poppy all you needed was a good night’s rest.”

“Thank you for asking, Headmistress; but how’s Professor Lupin?”

“You don’t mind if I sit down for a moment, do you?” McGonagall asked as she sank into one of the comfy chairs, politely waving away the chocolates that Hermione offered her. “I’m glad to say that he’s also doing much better this morning. His body took quite a chill when he was immobilized, that much he was able to tell me.”

“It’s a long story, Headmistress,” Harry admitted.

“And one that I intend to hear in exquisite detail, mind you.” Then in a softer tone, she added. “But not until classes start back on Monday.”

“Can I go visit him?” Harry continued doggedly. “When will they reopen the Hospital Wing?”

“I’m afraid not, Harry. I insisted that he be moved into his private quarters or he was never going to get any rest,” McGonagall reassured him. “Tonks is keeping a close eye on him.”

As McGonagall rose to leave, she noticed that Harry still seemed unconvinced. “It will be all right. You must trust me on this.” She patted him reassuringly on the arm. Before exiting through the sconce, she added over her shoulder, “If I didn’t know better, I’d think you two were anxious to get your stories straight!”

It took an extra moment for everyone to realize that they’d just been zinged.

“Blimey, I’ve never seen her do comedy!” Ron remarked in awe.

Feeling as if a large weight had been lifted from his shoulders, Harry suggested they help themselves to some candy and he would try to fill them in on yesterday’s events. After all, he knew that they were just too polite to ask.

He’d gotten part way through a highly edited version when the sconce opened to admit Ginny, still in her Quidditch robes.

“The headmistress just told me you were awake, Harry!” Ginny exclaimed as she tossed her gloves and goggles in the general direction of the table. She started to race over to the sofa where Harry was sitting but hesitated when she saw that the room was already full of people.

“Come sit,” Neville urged, offering her the footrest from his chair. “Harry was just getting to the good part of the story.”

When Harry finished the tale, there was a very long silence. After what seemed like ages, Hermione ventured, “Did the headmistress say she was going to report this to the authorities?”

Harry shook his head. “I don’t think she wants to get the Ministry involved at this point.”

“I think she said something about notifying the Order; after all, Snape was one of them,” Ron offered.




Later that evening, Harry found a moment to ask Hermione if she knew Ginny’s class schedule.

“Yes,” she replied warily, “but wouldn’t it have been a lot easier to ask Ginny directly? She was just here!”

“You know I can’t ask Ginny,” Harry confessed, feeling as if the words were being wrenched from his gut.

“Harry, this is pointless,” Hermione responded in a surprisingly patient tone. “You’re not going to seek her out; you just want to think that you can do so whenever you wish. It doesn’t work that way.”

“It’s just in case of an emergency,” he tried, realizing belatedly how lame that sounded.

“What are you going to do the day that you find her with someone else?” she asked softly, laying a comforting hand on Harry’s shoulder.

“Is that a diplomatic way of telling me as much?” Harry forced himself ask even though his throat had gone totally dry.

“No, I would be much more direct than that.”

“If you’d even tell me, that is,” Harry retorted.

“Oh, I’d tell you all right. Harry, how can you--”

“Hermione, stop!” Harry could feel the anguish pouring into his voice, but for once he didn’t care. “Don’t you think I have this argument with myself every single day? HOW HEARTLESS DO YOU THINK I AM?”

Hermione was quiet for a very long time, but when Harry looked up he saw that she was scribbling Ginny’s schedule on a scrap of parchment. Ron had come up behind her, drawn by the shouting.

She pressed the scrap into Harry’s hand and sighed. “And that is why I would tell you, Harry, because every argument needs a nudge in the right direction.”

Ron squeezed Harry’s shoulder sympathetically. “If it’s any consolation, she’s just as much adrift as you are. She could hardly figure out which end of the broom was which at practice this morning.”

Without Madam Pomfrey’s potion to entice him to sleep, Harry spent a restless night full of dreams of ambush and betrayal. Even the dream of Snape posturing for the Halloween judges dressed in complete Captain Hook regalia “ an image that would have amused him under normal circumstances “ just made him feel as if his whole world had turned upside down.



When he woke the next morning, it was with the conviction that he was going to find answers. And for that, he needed Lupin.

Deciding that he was not ready for the enormity of facing the entire school, Harry retrieved his Invisibility Cloak from the bottom of his book bag. The new wands he carefully refolded into some discarded parchment rolls in the bottom of his desk drawer, then turned the key to lock it.

He found Ron waiting for him in front of the fireplace, still yawning. “I though you might like some company, mate,” he offered, looking up at Harry expectantly.

“How did you…?” Harry was too surprised for words.

“You were like a caged lion with Hermione last night.” Ron shrugged. “I knew then that you weren’t going to be content unless you took action yourself. So what have you got in mind?”

“Not really sure. Thought I might start with the Hospital Wing.”

“All right. Although, Harry, it might not be a bad idea to bring the Marauder’s Map as well. Only one of us can fit under your Cloak anymore,” Ron added.

When Harry returned, Ron had retrieved some cold pumpkin juice and was pouring them each a glass.

“There’s something else I need to run by you, Harry,” began Ron. “Remember all that stuff that Lupin told you about the teachers’ private living quarters being Unplottable and inaccessible to students? I think I may have found a teeny hole in his explanation.”

Harry stopped gulping and lowered his nearly empty glass slowly, his eyes glued to Ron’s face. “You have my undivided attention,” he urged softly enough so that the others would not awaken.

“On my birthday (how could I forget?) I ate those stupid chocolate cauldrons that Romilda Vane had spiked with love potion. The ones that she intended for you.”

Harry nodded. “I remember.”

“It was a Saturday morning, early. You dragged me to Slughorn’s office for an antidote and banged pretty insistently on his door. He finally answered in his dressing gown, looking like he’d just rolled out of bed--”

“”and said that it had better be an emergency because he usually slept in on Saturdays,” Harry finished for him as realization sunk in. “You’re suggesting that the living quarters are somehow connected to their offices…but how?”

“I’ve been able to think of two ways,” replied Ron. “Either there’s a whole warren of secret passages or the fireplace floos are connected somehow.”

Harry thought back quickly as he felt that first flush of discovery. Every teacher’s office that he’d visited had a fireplace. Snape had even used his to summon Lupin when he’d needed to consult over the confiscated Marauder’s Map. He himself had contacted Sirius through the fire in Umbridge’s office. He even remembered one from Slughorn’s Christmas party. It was all so obvious in retrospect.

“I think you’ve hit on something,” Harry admitted. “Although I’m not sure exactly how best to put it to the test…not yet anyway.”

The Hospital Wing turned out to be a dead end. Although the doors were no longer barred, the place was deserted. They ducked out again before Madam Pomfrey could hear them. Somehow, Harry didn’t think she would lend them a sympathetic ear.

Ron’s new information had given Harry the germ of an idea, so Lupin’s office became their next objective. Using the Map as a guide, they made their way down the least traveled routes until they reached the final corridor. Here there was so much traffic, however, that Harry left Ron hiding around the corner with the Map while he did a bit of reconnaissance from beneath the Cloak. He was surprised to see that the door to Lupin’s office was unlocked and that students were letting themselves in to deposit gifts and other get well tokens.

Returning with a handful of chocolate frogs from the stash upstairs, Ron opened the door to Lupin’s office wide enough so that Harry could follow behind unseen. He deposited the frogs among the mountain of gifts that had been left on the Professor’s desk, almost upsetting the entire pile in his haste.

They had timed their entry when the corridor had been empty to allow them a little bit of extra time. Knowing that once another visitor discovered Ron, though, he would have no excuse to loiter any longer. They had to work quickly to avoid arousing suspicions as they did not dare to lock the outer door.

With Ron’s eyes glued to the Map to make sure that no one was coming, Harry carefully tried the door to the inner office. It, too, was unlocked. Quickly they slipped inside and shut the door silently before Harry threw off his Invisibility Cloak. Hazarding to light only one wand tip, and then only briefly, they quickly ascertained that no presents had been deposited in this room. Ron tugged on Harry’s sleeve and pointed to the Map that showed a group of three students heading in their direction. Assuming that no one would have realized that the inner door had not been locked before, Harry turned the lock very slowly until he felt it click. Ron extinguished the wand tip just as they heard the door to the outer office open. Hardly daring to breathe, they waited in the darkened room until the visitors finished depositing their gifts and left. Feeling like his lungs were going to burst in the process, Harry cast a whispered Imperturbable Charm towards the door so that they could at least breathe normally.

Luckily the intervening minutes had allowed their eyes to adjust well enough that they could take a better look around. The sitting room was much larger than Harry had originally supposed, with a number of comfortable armchairs set around a large fireplace and a pair of polished sideboards flanking the mullioned window. There was just enough daylight seeping from the curtain edge that they would be able to read the Map clearly if they rested it on the settee.

With a start, they saw that two separate groups were converging on the outer office from different directions. The charm held and though they could clearly hear the door hinges open, the conversations were like the sound of dry leaves scattering in the wind.

Not wanting to linger any longer than necessary, Harry retrieved the bag of Floo powder from his pocket and approached the fireplace. Throwing a generous handful into the grate, it flashed green very briefly and then the floating particles of dust coalesced into the words:

YOU ARE NOT PERMITTED ACCESS


Ron noticed another pot of Floo powder on the mantle but the results were much the same, although the particles were tinted a unique blue-green shade instead.

“There’s no more to be learned here,” Harry whispered and nodded towards the door.

The traffic in the corridor was increasing as more students were on their way to breakfast so it was no longer a matter of avoiding just those that were headed directly for Lupin’s office. It took a number of minutes for them to find the proper opening in the crowd and even then, Harry had to take an impromptu detour to avoid getting boxed in between two groups. It was with hammering hearts that they met up in the nearby bathroom to catch their breath.

“Oh, man, that was a close one,” Harry panted.

“Any other ideas?” Ron inquired.

“Just one. How about we try to get an update on Lupin from the headmistress? It’s bound to be quieter up there with everyone at breakfast.”



They arrived before the impassive stone gargoyle with any further incident. Ron had anticipated this might be one of Harry’s objectives and had obtained the latest password from Hermione.

“Hebrides,” Ron pronounced with conviction. The gargoyle leapt aside and allowed them access to the stone staircase that led directly to the headmistress’ office. Still wrapped in his Invisibility Cloak, Harry took the first three steps in rapid succession to allow Ron to follow before the stairs started moving beneath their feet. As they neared the closed door at the top, though, it was clear that the headmistress was not alone.

“”searched the surrounding area…Hogsmeade village…nothing.” Harry recognized the voice of Kingsley Shacklebolt. The words kept fading in and out as through he were pacing from one end of the room to the other.

“He’d be miles from here by now, if he had a lick of sense,” the gruff voice of Mad-Eye Moody replied.

“You’ve searched the school grounds thoroughly?” inquired the headmistress, the strain apparent in her voice.

“Twice.”

“Hagrid is going over the areas surrounding the Forbidden Forest even as we speak,” Shacklebolt assured her.

Recalling the unique properties of Moody’s magical eye, Harry was prompted to whisper in Ron’s ear, “You’d better leave me for now. If Moody looks straight at the door, he’s likely to see you standing on the other side. I don’t think my body will block you from view while I’m wrapped in the Cloak.”

Ron nodded that he understood and took the curving steps down at a breakneck pace. Probably went to get some breakfast, Harry concluded, as his own stomach growled in sympathy.

Harry settled himself a number of steps down from the top landing to try to maintain a lower profile. He hoped fervently that the Invisibility Cloak would shield him from Moody’s gaze but couldn’t shake the uncertainty from a previous encounter.

“”Ministry will be the last thing he needs to worry about,” growled Shacklebolt as his footsteps brought him closer to the door once more.

“What exactly do you plan to do with him?” inquired the headmistress.

“”attacked in broad daylight. This is hardly the time to worry about niceties.”

“There may have been extenuating circumstances,” McGonagall offered.

“It’s always the same when Severus is involved: questions, questions, and more questions!” Moody’s exasperation was clear.

“When do you think you will have a full report for us, Minerva?” Shacklebolt asked in a kinder tone.

“Remus should be well enough to provide a preliminary statement this evening. I gave Mr. Potter until tomorrow.”

“The trail will be even colder by then,” complained Moody.

“That’s why I contacted the Order as soon as possible,” McGonagall reminded them.

“But now you’re telling us you’re not sure about what happened.” Shacklebolt was probing for information. “What conclusions am I expected to draw?”

“It is the attacker’s intent that is unclear. What alternative conclusion do you suggest I form when I am presented with a student who had just had his adrenaline spiked to the point that he is nearly in shock and a teacher who’s been stupefied to the brink of hypothermia? Are you suggesting that these are self-inflicted injuries?” Her voice was like a knife.

“No, of course not,” mumbled Shacklebolt.

“I would’ve thought werewolves were predisposed to colder climates,” Moody grumbled.

“That’s part of the problem, you see,” replied a new voice that Harry realized was Tonks. “His new regimen holds the transformation in check.”

“Is that wise?” inquired Shacklebolt, his voice laced with genuine concern.

“Madam Pomfrey has given use a green light for the time being,” explained Tonks, “although it’s still an experimental treatment.”

“Please, gentlemen, back to the subject at hand,” implored the headmistress. “I need to know what you intend to do with Severus. Once you catch him, that is.”

“Oh, I think a nice long interrogation would be in order,” Shacklebolt acknowledged with an edge of menace. “It’s about time we got some answers.”

“There’s not enough Veritaserum on hand to cut through twenty years of lies and half-truths,” snarled Moody.

“Then I suggest you begin by brewing up another batch,” the headmistress concluded. “Gentlemen, I will send word when I have additional details to report.”

Harry was so startled by the seriousness of the headmistress’ assessments that it did not immediately occur to him that he was blocking the exit to the corridor. Before he had a chance to react, a flash of green light from under the door convinced him that they must have left via Floo.

“”much for backing me up,” McGonagall was saying n a much gentler tone. “Please tell Remus I will be by later this afternoon, if he’s feeling up to it.”

“I will, Minerva,” Tonks confirmed. “Poppy’s probably driven him to the brink of his patience by now.”

“Or vice versa,” echoed the headmistress.

Another flash of green alerted Harry that Tonks had also left. He took a few moments to compose his thoughts and just as he was about to reach for the doorknocker, his hand was arrested by the sound of someone clearing his throat in the next room. He had assumed the headmistress was finally alone.

“Yes, Albus?” inquired McGonagall so softly that Harry had to strain.

“Need I remind you that it is imperative that you select a deputy as soon as possible,” chided the familiar voice of Dumbledore. Harry concluded that it must be the headmaster’s portrait that was speaking. “The risks are just too great.”

“You’re right, of course. No more excuses will do.”

“Just remember, Minerva, you cannot select Remus, as much as I know you would like to do so. It is enough that he is Head of Gryffindor House.”

“But the students all love him so, Albus; I so wanted to select someone whom they would be sure to follow.”

“If that were the sole requirement, then you might as well select Nymphadora,” chuckled the portrait. “But you don’t have to pretend with me. I know that Remus has always been a favorite of yours. I remember how vehemently you argued against my accepting his resignation….”

“He had nowhere else to go…We should have stood behind him.”

“Even if the jinx would have allowed it, I could not keep him here against his will. As difficult as it is sometimes, you have to let them make their own way in the world. I would not have let him distance himself from the outside world to become another recluse.”

“You mean like Severus did?”

“Not one of my better success stories, to be sure. Although it’s easy to understand why he would want to shut himself away. Having his first wife tortured to death before his eyes like that…”

Snape married? Harry could hardly believe it. And hadn’t Dumbledore said first wife as if there might actually be a second?

“I feel that I failed him in the end, Minerva,” continued the portrait. “Have you not heard anything else from him? Or from the other? It is vital that contact be made somehow. Has she told you anything?”

“Only what she tells everyone: that she is moving on with her life. I told you about her behavior at Halloween…”

“Yes, you did. And I must commend your determination to see that project through. It is a fine testament to your first few months that you were so readily able to dispel the last remnants of Dolores Umbridge.”

“Thank you, Albus, I always felt that wall needed a bit of sprucing up.”

“So how are the other new teachers working out? Was I right about Nymphadora “ oh, I forgot, she prefers Tonks, doesn’t she?”

“Albus, she’s absolutely remarkable! From the first minute she got up in front of a class, she had them in the palm of her hand. Not to mention what she’s done for Remus’ disposition “ it’s like he’s a school boy all over again!”

“I think they call that happiness, Minerva. You do remember what it was like to be a newlywed, don’t you? They would never have found one another if I had allowed Remus to remain teaching here, you know. That extra time with Sirius also dispelled some of his inner demons, I think.”

“Do you have any suggestions for the deputy head then?”

“Well, traditionally the choice was made from among the Heads of Houses, but I don’t think you’ll let convention stand in your way.”

“True,” conceded the headmistress, “but I don’t think Filius is right for the role.”

“An unfortunate shortcoming of his stature, I’m afraid.”

“What about Horace? He clearly has seniority is you take into account all the years that he taught here previously--”

“He may decide he wishes to return to his retirement at any moment. How about Pomona?”

“Well, she’s certainly comfortable working with Neville,” considered the headmistress, “and I did say that Tonks has become the unofficial mascot of Hufflepuff House so that leaves her with a back-up, if needed. I believe you’re right, Pomona would be ideal. I will speak with her this evening, if possible. And Albus, thank you for helping me sort out my thoughts.”

“As always, my dear,” replied the portrait. “Although I should advise you that Harry had been waiting patiently at the door for an audience with you. I believe your eloquence with the Order has him fearing the worst about Professor Lupin.”

With a start, Harry realized that his gig was up. Throwing off the Invisibility Cloak, he quickly stuffed it under his sweatshirt and knocked on the polished door.

No sooner had Harry sat in the proffered chair than his words came tumbling out. “I’m sorry, Headmistress, I’m a bit overwhelmed,” he stammered. “Your words made it seem like Professor Lupin was on the brink of death…” He stopped as he felt his voice catch.

“Oh, Harry, the last thing I wanted was to cause you any undue distress,” she replied, surprising Harry with her candor. “Those words were not meant for you to overhear. I won’t deny that Remus’ condition was serious, but he is recovering. You will see for yourself tomorrow, I promise.”

“But, Headmistress, Professor Lupin has a full schedule of classes tomorrow…”

“He is being excused from his classes tomorrow. Don’t look so surprised, do you think me incapable of taking over a few Transfiguration lessons on his behalf?”

“Of course not… That’s very generous, Headmistress.”

“You can meet with him tomorrow morning in his office. I know how much the two of you need to talk things out, to try to make some sense out of chaos. But don’t let Remus entire you into taking a hike around the grounds; it’s much too soon. I will expect to have a full recount from you after lunch.” She waited for him to nod, then added, “Come, you will feel better once you eat something. If I’m not mistaken, you skipped breakfast to come here this morning, didn’t you?”