Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Dance of the Snake Charmers by go go ravenclaw

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Well, here it is! Chapter one, with the introduction of my OC. Again, I'd like to thank the lovely Rachel_Marie for betaing this!
‘Good evening, Miss Patil.’ He nodded at the tall woman who climbed up the stairs, her black hair whipping around her face. She looked quite a sight.

‘Evening, Mr. Riddle.’

‘Please, call me Tom, even though I despise the name. Are you ready, then?’

Miss Patil nodded. ‘Call me Anupama. You already knew my name, though, did you not?’

‘As you knew mine. We must now wait until the captain sees fit to start,’ Tom smirked. Anupama merely bounced in the balls of her shoes.

‘I understand, Tom, that you need a guide to show you around Rajasthan and India, in general. You do realize that it is unsafe for you, being British, to be going around with an Indian in these times of trouble?’ she asked.

‘It is in such times that one realizes the usefulness of a Polyjuice Potion. Though you are already fair and seemly enough to pass as English, do you not agree?’

Anupama straightened. ‘Are you trying to imply that Indians are not seemly?’ She snapped. Tom was a bit startled. Did she not realize that he could kill her with a flick of his wand?

He decided to enjoy the show, though. ‘I never said that, woman. Calm yourself!’

‘Don’t you order me around, Tom Riddle! Let me remind you that we were-’

‘In the same year, only you refused to go out with me-’

‘Because I thought you were a right foul-’

‘Silence!’ he hissed, pulling his wand out. Anupama’s brown eyes widened and she stumbled back a few steps. Tom sneered and put his wand back into the pocket of the Muggle trousers he was wearing, coupled with a plain shirt. He knew that he would look good in whatever he wore, so he usually dressed simply.

Anupama was wearing a brown skirt under a lavender shirt. Not that he took note of what others wore, of course; he just happened to be of an observant nature.

‘You shall have to be taught some manners, I see, Anupama,’ he said softly.

She opened her mouth, but then decided to settle for a glare. Tom turned away and surveyed the scene before him; a messy dock full of people who were scurrying around with lanterns held high above their heads so that it all looked like a swarm of fireflies from where they were standing.

‘It is not a very romantic time or setting,’ Anupama commented tentatively. He nodded absently, tugging gently on the chain of his locket.

Noticing Anupama observing his hands attentively, he raised an eyebrow at her, but she did not seem very fazed.

‘That is a- never mind,’ she said.

Tom turned away again as the ship started moving away from the dock. An alarming thought occurred to him and he turned to Anupama yet again. ‘You are not prone to sea sickness, I hope?’

‘Afraid not. And you?’

He did not answer because he did not want her to know that this would be his first ever sea voyage.

‘I’m retiring to bed, are you coming?’

‘Not yet; either way, we have separate cabins: you shall not be disturbed.’

‘Good night, then,’ she called, already halfway across the deck.

‘Good night.’

Tom looked out into the water. The moon, reflected in the black depths, looked like a Sickle that had been the victim of an Enlarging Charm. Not a pretty description, he knew, but then, he never was a poet.

He thought about what he would do for the coming month; that was how long it would take to reach Bombay. From there they would go through the state of Gujarat and into Rajasthan, the desert state. He guessed that he would use the time in between to get on better terms with this Anupama Patil who thought she was so great.

***

The next morning he found her in the lounge, reading a book titled Jane Eyre. Tom sat down in the couch in front of her and rested his left heel on his right knee. She did not acknowledge his presence and went on reading.

Apparently, this Anupama Patil did not know his power, or did not want to know it. His fingers twitching for his wand, he cleared his throat. She still did not lift her eyes.

Slightly annoyed at being ignored thus, he charmed the book shut. Anupama pulled her fingers out just in time and finally graced him with a skeptical look.

‘Thank you, it is a dreadful book.’

‘Good morning to you, too, Anupama. What happens in the end?’

‘Her love interest goes blind. Quite a pathetic ending, if you ask me.’

‘And you consider yourself a high enough authority to express so harsh an opinion?’

‘What are books for, if not to be commented on and discussed so that there can be improvement?’

He smiled. ‘Point to be noted. Have you had your breakfast?’

‘No. As a matter of fact, I was waiting for you. Shall we proceed?’ she replied, standing up.

‘Of course.’ They started walking towards the dining room, not sure what to say.

‘You shall enjoy Rajasthan, I think,’ remarked Anupama finally as they went down the stairs. ‘Lots of snakes. The culture and music, too, is not to be missed. The snake charmers there put up quite a dance. It’s called kaalbeliya. A lot of fun, you’ll find your feet tapping in rhythm, no matter how unappreciative of music you are.’

‘I see. What else is so alluring in Rajasthan?’

‘The weather. Very hot in the mornings and afternoons, and unbearably cold in the evenings. But a warm fire fixes that.’

‘Are we staying in the desert?’ he wondered aloud, slightly worried about the unusual climate. Of course, since they were magical people, the weather could not really affect them.

‘Wherever you wish to stay, of course. The desert could be very interesting.’ She winced.

‘We are staying in the desert.’

Anupama groaned. It was obvious that she would not enjoy their stay. Tom sneered.

It would be very interesting, indeed.

‘Good morning, sir. Good morning, madam,’ the doorman said expressionlessly. He, of course, had been eavesdropping on the conversation, but still had no idea of what had transpired.

‘Good morning,’ Anupama whimpered. Tom merely nodded.