Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Hidden Truth by majestic_ginny

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Story Notes:

Hello guys! Thanks for reading this story. before you proceed, I'd like to clear up a few things first: Most of the things that happen in DH happens here, except that Fred, Snape, Lupin, Tonks, Dobby, Mad-Eye and all the other characters you love are alive. Voldemort is dead, and Snape's name is cleared. Oh, and Teddy is born as well, and so is Victoire. Basically, DH happens, but the good and loved characters are alive. Confusing? Maybe, but you'll get it if you read on!
Chapter Notes: Thanks a lot to Emily (emck) for her superb suggestions, constructive critisism, and for being one of the best betas ever!

I'm not, and never will be JKR.
It was finally over. The terrorizing war and the terrible schemes were all over. Moreover, the prophecy was fulfilled.

The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches… born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies…and the Dark Lord will mark him as his equal, but he will have powers the Dark Lord knows not…and either must die at the hands of the other for neither can live while the other survives…the one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord will be born as the seventh month dies.*

The Dark Lord was dead. Voldemort was gone for sure now, but not without payments. Many lives were lost… one of them being Albus Dumbledore.

“It has been such a long year,” Minerva McGonagall sighed as she sat at her desk of Hogwarts in the Headmaster’s office. She was the new Headmistress now, which was a big responsibility on her shoulders. Everyone hoped she would be just like Albus Dumbledore, if not better.

She looked much younger now with all the stress gone from her mind. There is nothing left to fear, she thought. “And I thought it was never going to end,” she voiced out loud. The students of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry would not have believed this, but for a second it looked as if Minerva McGonagall had actually smiled to herself!

Dumbledore chuckled from his portrait, which hung on the wall amongst all the previous Hogwarts Headmasters.

“I would rather disagree on that with you Minerva. I knew this had an end,” he assured, his blue eyes twinkling.

Minerva stared at the previous headmaster. “Are you trying to tell me that you knew all along that Harry was going to succeed? T-that this was all going to be over?” Minerva asked with a rather shocked and hurt look on her face that clearly stated, “You could have spared me the tension by telling me earlier!”

Dumbledore looked at her through his half moon spectacles, and replied in a serious tone, “Oh no Minerva, definitely not! I, of course, never knew that. But, I knew there was an end, as there was a win and a defeat for sure. I had faith in Harry of course… but apparently Tom was not giving up either, according to Professor Snape “”

There was a knock on the door. “Come in,” Professor McGonagall said, recovering from her shocked state.

The oak doors opened and a man entered. He was shallow faced, with shoulder length hair that was parted in curtains around his face. He had a hooked nose, and had black eyes. Professor Snape entered, as if summoned by his name.

“You called, Minerva?’ he asked in a silky voice.

“Ah... yes, Severus. As you are well aware, our students will be joining us soon in a new year this September. Apparently, due to circumstances, many have decided to repeat and actually finish their seventh year and their N.E.W.T. s, so our seventh year students will be joining us, instead of graduating. Would you be kind enough to inform this to rest of the professors and staff?”

“Of course, Professor.” With that, he spun around to leave.

“I hope you have done the deed I asked you to do, Severus?” Dumbledore asked from his portrait.

“Excuse me?” Snape asked turning, with a confused look on his face. Then suddenly, as it hit him, he said awkwardly, “Er… yes, Dumbledore. The Ministry has finally agreed. But I had to make other changes as well, as the death-eaters… ah… I mean people are quite confused why this sudden change is being made after so many years of settlement. So, I thought of not making it too obvious.”

“Very well,” Dumbledore said. Snape nodded and left the office.

“Does that mean she is coming?” Minerva inquired soon after Snape had left.

“We hope so Minerva…we hope so.” Dumbledore said dreamily, as if calculating something in the far future.

“Why did you hide it for so many years, Albus? The child would have a terrible truth to face now…I doubt whether she will be able to handle it at this stage. Do you think it was fair?”

“No, Minerva. I do not think it was fair at all. But I had to do what I did. I had to take her away. She was in grave danger and Voldemort would not have let her live. You know what he did that night…” Dumbledore’s thoughtful face looked a hundred years older as he recalled that fateful night

Minerva sighed. “I guess you are right, Albus. It was for her best.”

Dumbledore did not reply. The memories of that little girl flashed in his mind. She had been only one year old then. Her head full of jet black curls, pure innocence reflecting in her hazel eyes. She had fair, pale skin, with a faint blush on her cheeks. Just like her father, they had said. But her smile was definitely her mother’s. She was unaware of the world’s happenings, unaware of You-Know-Who, his terror, and the danger she was in.

Well, at least the boy will find a family now, Dumbledore thought. No more loneliness for him. I hope he will be happy with who he finds after all this suffering.
Chapter Endnotes: *- the prophecy as made by Trelawney.

Please review! :)