Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Hidden Truth by majestic_ginny

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: I'm SO sorry for the delay guys. This chapter is sort of a filler chapter in terms of plot, but it's also a bit important because we see a post-war Draco here. Also, another one of the main characters appear.

Lots of thanks to my loveliest beta, Emily (Emck/Emck_21) for her inputs and changes. Without her, this fic would be nothing.

I do not own Harry Potter. If I did, I'd rule the world.
It was kind of hard to get my parents to agree for the party, but finally I ended up convincing them. So finally, on Saturday, I found myself sulking in front of my dresser, wondering what to wear. My wardrobe doors lay ajar, all the contents having been dumped on my bed. I couldn’t find a single pair of robes that made me look decent! Some were too short, others too long. Others were either too tight or too loose. Some were too revealing, while others simply covered too much.

Why the hell did I even think about throwing a bloody party?

The door opened with a squeak and Bri’s head popped in. I whipped around.

–Crickey, you look… wow!” I said, stunned. Bri looked gorgeous in her sparkling green robes. Her long blond hair was tied up in a knot on top of her head, but a few strands were left loose, framing her pale face.

–And you look… as usual,” she said, raising an eyebrow. –Why aren’t you dressed yet? So many people are already downstairs!”

I waved a hand towards my bed. –Nothing to wear,” I said, sighing dramatically. Bri rolled her eyes.

–Ugh, Tash, you’re such a bourke,” she muttered. Walking over to my bed, she pulled out midnight-blue dress-robes and held it in front of her.

–Too long,” I prompted. It was; heck, it swept the floor when Bri wore it, meaning it would be much too long for me.

Scoffing, Bri dumped it on the ground and drew out pink Muggle dress with a frilly white collar.

I frowned. –Too silly; I don’t like pink anymore.”

–Merlin,” Bri sighed and tugged out sparkling black dress-robes, decorated with black sequins.

–Nah, too emo,” I said, waving my hand.

Bri threw it down on the floor and stomped over to me, a vicious look on her face. –Listen, you bloody idiot,” she hissed, her face inches from mine, her beautiful features contorted into something fierce. Sometimes I wondered whether Bri had Veela blood in her. –You are going to wear the next robe I pull out, and I don’t care what you think! Do you understand me?” She had that bone-chilling look in her eyes. Gulping, I nodded.

–Good,” she whispered. She glided over to my bed, and pulled out a shimmering, pale blue silk robe. The neck was slightly low-cut, but the length of the sleeves made up for it, so that it didn’t look too slutty. The cuffs were studded with stones, and the whole thing was sparkling in the light.

–Pretty,” I breathed, gushing over the dress.

–Finally,” Bri muttered, rolling her eyes. I grabbed the dress from her and went to the bathroom to change. The dress fit exactly right, accentuating the curves on my body. Finally, once I was all zipped up, I came out. Bri was waiting for me, tapping her feet on the blue carpet.

–Took you long enough,” she said rather acidly. Nevertheless, she took my by the shoulders and sat me down on the stool in front of my dresser. –All that’s left is your hair.”

–It’s fine!” I squealed. I hated it when anyone touched my hair; it was always so tangled and broomsticky, it hurt whenever someone ran a brush through it. And knowing Bri, she’d tug and pull so hard, my hair would come off. Ignoring my squeals and protests, Bri took out a bottle of Madam Cabella’s All-Purpose Hair-Care Potion and a comb. She sprayed almost the entire bottle on my hair, and after five minutes of stinging and burning on my scalp, my black hair turned rather flat and straight. Then, Bri raised the comb like an executioner about to slay a hippogriff, and slashed it down on my hair. Surprisingly, the tugging and yelling never came. It just ran through my hair, smoothly and swiftly.

–What did you do to my hair?” I asked, awed. Bri just smirked smugly.

After ten minutes, my long hair was lying in loose curls along my shoulder. The top was puffed up and tied on top of my head with blue hairclip, and the hair in front was swept into fringes to the side.

–Tada!” Bri said happily. –Say that you like it!”

–I love it,” I said, staring in awe at my reflection.

I followed Bri downstairs to the party, gasping at the sight of so many people in the living room. It looked like a sea of colourful robes.

–Ugh, too many Purebloods,” Bri said, her eyes sweeping over all the people. –Look at them, they’re wearing the old-fashioned, traditional robes. I bet they thought it was a Pureblood gathering.”

Mum and Dad came up to us, and I thought it was rather odd seeing them dressed up so formally in dress-robes. I was used to seeing them dressed in Muggle clothes most of the time. Mum started gushing over my attire; honestly, I think she didn’t expect I’d look that pretty. Once I was done giving the credit to Bri, Dad asked, –Is that why you took so long? To get ready?” I nodded.

–You look gorgeous, Natasha, dear,” said a familiar voice behind us.

I turned around to look at the new-comer and my face lit up when he saw who had made the comment.

–Auntie Simone!” I said, hugging the curly-haired woman. –How are you? It’s been so long!”

My dad’s sister, who was my favourite (and only) aunt, smiled warmly at me, her blue eyes twinkling. She ruffled my hair affectionately, which she always did when she saw me.

–Hey!” I exclaimed in annoyance at her messing up my hair. She was exactly as I remembered from our trips to England: tall, slim and sweet. Behind her was Uncle Adrian, a chubby man with brown hair and a beer-belly.

–Hey Uncle Adrian!” I greeted him, smiling warmly. He smiled back, patting my cheek lightly.

I looked around, looking for my cousins as my Aunt became busy with my parents. –Where are Rev and Alex?” I asked my uncle.

–Seriously, Tash, you should get an appointment with an eye Healer!” scoffed a voice behind me.

I swivelled around to find a tall girl smirking at her with her arms crossed. She had the Osborne jet-black hair, and light blue eyes, and was wearing evening-blue robes. This was Revlyn Harlow, my Dad’s sister’s daughter, and my only most awesome cousin. –What did you do to your hair?” were the first things that slipped out of my mouth.

Revlyn raised an eyebrow at me. –Tamed it,” she answered, smiling.

–Wow, you really straightened it out!” I commented, for I had last seen Revlyn with bushy, black hair, the last time.

At that moment, a little brown haired girl, with equally brown eyes, came out of nowhere and hugged me tightly.

–Tasha! Tasha!” exclaimed the ten-year-old.

–Nice to see you again too, Alex!” I said, laughing, and trying to pull Alexis away.

–Come on, brat, wouldn’t want Tasha’s dress to be spoiled, would we now?” Revlyn laughed as she pulled her sister away.

–I’m not spoiling her dress, I’m hugging her!” Alexis exclaimed indignantly.

Revlyn just rolled her eyes, and lightly pushed Alexis towards a group of children near us. Then she turned towards me again, glancing at someone beside me, who had been quiet the whole time. –Uh, Tash?” she said, indicating to the person with her eyes.

I frowned at Revlyn. –What?”

The person groaned. –Hi, I’m Briallen Warwick, Natasha’s friend,” Bri introduced herself, waving at Revlyn, and hitting my head lightly.

I scowled at Bri as Revlyn laughed. –She’s still dim-witted huh?” asked Revlyn.

–Yup, and she’s becoming more dim-witted every day,” replied Bri, glancing at me.

–Hey! I’m standing right here!”

–We can see that, Tash,” Revlyn said, laughing.

–Unlike you,” added Bri, smirking.

–Oh, you two will get along perfectly,” I grumbled, as I scowled at my cousin and my friend.

I pursed my lips, silently cursing the two girls who were smirking triumphantly at me. Just to change the damned topic, I turned to Revlyn and said, "So, we're gonna be school mates now!"

Revlyn looked at me in what looked like shock. "You're coming to Hogwarts?" she asked in a not-so-happy tone.

"Yup, and so will Bri," I said, looking at Revlyn curiously for her lack of excitement. Wasn’t she happy?

"But - but Eduvene's a boarding school. You don't need to leave," said Revlyn.

I shrugged. "Yeah, but Mom and Dad think that I should go to Hogwarts and follow traditions or whatever. Oh, and, not to mention, it’s almost on the other side of the world."

"But why now after sixteen years?" she asked.

"I don't know… Revlyn... is something wrong? You don't look too happy," I hesitantly asked. Revlyn was one of the reasons I was actually looking forward to being at Hogwarts.

Revlyn quickly masked her expression. "Of course I'm happy. Why shouldn't I be, you're my cousin remember?" she said, smiling at me, but somehow I thought it didn’t really reach her eyes. "I wonder which house you'll be in. Probably not Ravenclaw, you're not smart enough," she added.

I looked confused. Revlyn merely smiled and explained, "People are sorted into their houses at Hogwarts by their qualities, family history and a lot of other things, Tash. People in Gryffindor are mostly brave, Ravenclaws are intelligent, Hufflepuffs are the loyal ones, and Slytherins are the ambitious and cunning ones."

"Where are you?" I asked. I knew for a fact that most of our family had been Gryffindors.

"Ravenclaw," Revlyn replied with pride in her voice.

"I think I'll be in Gryffindor, since everyone in Dad’s side has been one. And Bri’ probably get Slytherin," I added, looking snarkily at Bri, who hit me on the head. I scowled at her.

"You can't be too sure.” Rev replied. My dad's family was all in Ravenclaw, and for me it was a choice between Gryffindor and Ravenclaw, with my mum being a Gryffindor as well."

"How did your mum react?"

"She was fine really. I mean, at least it wasn't Slytherin."

"Is there anything... wrong with Slytherin?" I asked curiously.

"Nothing's wrong with it. It's the best house there is," a drawling voice interrupted Rev before she could answer. A dark-skinned teenage boy had sauntered towards us.

"Good evening, ladies," he said, and nodded towards Revlyn, "Harlow, you're not turning these lovely ladies against Slytherin, are you?"

"Of course not, Zabini, why on earth would I do that?" Revlyn replied, smirking at the boy. "Unless of course you gave me reason to do so," she added slyly. –Tell me, is Blaise a girl’s name, or a guy’s?”

"Always the one with the witty comebacks, Harlow."

"And you're always the one trying to win an argument with me, Zabini.”

"Ah, but I don't try, I always win. Tell me, what have you done with your hair? Finally realised it looked too much like Granger’s?"

I didn't understand what that meant, but I did realise from Zabini's tone that he was trying to insult Revlyn. However, Revlyn merely smiled wryly at him.

"I see you still believe in that nonsense, Zabini," she commented. –I thought you’d stop after the damn war, you know. I thought you’d stop after your family dropped so low in the eyes of others. Wonder why my uncle even invited your family.”

Zabini didn’t answer Revlyn, but looked at her with his eyes narrowed. –At least my family’s a right sight better than Malfoy’s.” He then turned towards Bri and me.

"Blaise Zabini," he introduced himself with a slight nod.

I smiled at him. "Natasha Osborne," I said, introducing myself. I didn’t know what Revlyn was going on about, but he was kind of... good looking.

"Briallen Warwick," Bri said, with a slight smile towards Zabini.

"Warwick? Are you by any chance related to Heath Warwick?" asked Zabini.

"I'm his daughter," replied Bri.

"Pleasure to meet you, Miss Warwick. My stepfather knew Mr. Warwick once," he said. "Would you like to dance?"

Bri hesitated at first, but accepted his offer. Revlyn and I watched as they walked to the centre of the room.

"He’s nice,” I said casually.

–Nice?” Rev exclaimed incredulously. –Do you know who that is?”

–Er…no?” I replied uncertainly.

–That is Blaise Zabini, a stupid, pompous Slytherin at Hogwarts,”

–If he’s really that bad, then why did he act so polite towards us?”

Revlyn snorted. –You should see the way he acts with Muggleborns. He’s only like this with people equal to his status. I expect Uncle Kevin didn’t know about Blaise’s mother; he wouldn’t have invited them if he knew.” Revlyn let out a sigh. –Come on, let’s get drinks.”

Revlyn and I made our way towards the mini bar and sat down on the bar-stools, where a tiny house-elf was giving out drinks. There was a napkin-hat nested between her huge, bat-like ears, on top of which was pinned a badge saying Edgey’s Elf service for parties and weddings., while another napkin was tied around its waist like a skirt. –Good evening, Misses!” It squeaked shrilly; it was probably a girl elf. –Can Tinkle get you anything?”

–Two glasses of Butterbeer, please?” I said sweetly.

The elf’s eyes became glassy as it replied in a choked up voice, –Right away, Miss!” I chuckled.

As our drinks were being prepared, I looked around. We were not alone the bar; a tall boy not much older than me was sitting a few seats away from us, his head bent low, a glass of Firewhiskey clutched between his long, pale fingers. He had platinum-blond hair, and was wearing a set of black robes. I wondered why he was sitting there all alone. I stood up and made my way towards him.

–Where are you going?” Revlyn asked, alarmed. –Tash, come here!”

I waved at her, saying that I’ll be back, and continued towards the blonde boy. –Hi,” I said, once I reached him.

He looked up. His face was pale, and his cheeks were sunken. His gray eyes, which had a look of anguish in them, looked at me with apprehension. He looked tortured. –What do you want?” he asked me.

–Um... Hi!” I said brightly. –I’m Natasha Osborne, and you are?” I stretched out my hand for him to shake.

He ignored my hand. –Draco Malfoy,” he replied, and went back to his drink.

–So... you go to Hogwarts?” I asked, trying to strike up a conversation. Draco, however, did not seem interested.

–Yes,” he replied shortly.

–Which house? I haven’t started yet, so I thought... you know, I’d ask you about them... ” I trailed off, noticing that he wasn’t listening. I got annoyed.

Oi,” I said irritably. –I’m talking, you know.”

He looked at me and scowled. –Did I ask you to?”

I scoffed. –Excuse me? You’re in my house! I just thought I’d make you feel more at home, seeing as you were sitting all alone, but no, you just act arrogant as if you have better stuff to do!”

–I have better stuff to do,” he prompted, looking at me coldly. –I wouldn’t have come anyway, but my father forced me to. He thinks if we mix with more people we’d gain back our respect and pride. Who’d have come otherwise?”

–Tosser,” I said, and stormed off. When I reached Revlyn, I said, –Who the hell was that?”

–Draco Malfoy, an arrogant, snobbish bully at Hogwarts. He’s also in Slytherin. His father was a Death Eater, but they scarpered when Voldemort tried to take over Hogwarts. The war, Tash,” she added, noticing my confused look. –I would like to see how he goes strutting about the castle bullying people this year, what with his family losing half their wealth. I don’t think Uncle Kevin knows about Draco’s dad either; he wouldn’t have called them if he knew that they were undergoing trial.”

–Sounds like most of the Slytherins are bad,” I commented. Zabini, Malfoy... neither were good, according to Revlyn.

–Most of them are. None of the witches and wizards who are bad belonged to any other house except Slytherin.”

–Right,” I said. –So I choose not to go to Slytherin when I go to Hogwarts.”

Revlyn smirked at me and said, –Good choice.”

Revlyn and I walked away from the bar, when Bri stomped towards us, her face flushed with anger.

–That bloody, arrogant, annoying little git!” she hissed under her breath.

–What’s wrong?” I asked.

–It’s - it’s that Beanie boy!” exclaimed Bri. –He is so… annoying!”

–What’d he do?” asked Revlyn inquisitively.

–Quidditch!”

Revlyn looked confused. I sighed; Bri hated Quidditch, after all. She couldn’t even stand the name.

–What’s wrong with that?” asked Revlyn.

–What - what’s wrong with it? I hate it, that’s what’s wrong with it!” Bri exclaimed indignantly.

–You hate Quidditch?” Revlyn said incredulously.

–Yes, I do,” agreed Bri. –Don’t tell me you like it,” she added, frowning.

–Of course I do! I love Quidditch! I’m the Chaser for my house team,” stated Revlyn.

–UGH! How can you people like such a stupid game! It’s just a dumb game where people fly around in brooms throwing big, red balls to each other!” Bri complained.

–It is not a stupid game! It symbolises wizard sportsmanship and - ” started Revlyn.

–Whatever, it’s boring,” interrupted Bri.

–Have you even played Quidditch?” Revlyn retorted.

–Er… guys?” I piped up, trying to break the feud starting between my cousin and my best friend in vain.

–Why would I even want to play Quiddi - ”

–You’re making blind accusations - ”

–ME? You’re the one who’s arguing about a stupid game - ”

–Stupid game? Quidditch is not a stupid - ”

–It is a very idiotic game that doesn’t require any logic, reasoning or strategy - ”

–How would you know that? You haven’t even played!”

–Any intellectual would know that -”

–Are you calling me dumb?”

–Are you calling me ignorant?”

I sighed. This would continue for ages…
Chapter Endnotes: Liked it? please review! :D --Nadia