Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Christmas Caller by ravenclaw1997

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: This is the last chapter, that contains a conversation and a decision. Enjoy!
***
Epilogue- Converse and Conclude

Back to the present.

Fred had said they were going back to the present.

They landed on solid ground once more, and for the first time, Molly didn't stumble at all. Proud of herself, she looked around. She was back in her kitchen once more, but this time, it looked exactly how she had left it. She looked towards the table, expecting to find the laundry basket, but instead, she was looking at herself. Herself? How was that possible? She was sleeping, in that uncomfortable position she had been in before this whole adventure.

"Fred..." she was shocked. Fred walked over and stood behind her.

"Oh, yeah," he began. "I forgot to tell you that you would see yourself. You're dreaming, and this is your dream. I know it's confusing," he said as his mother began to protest. "What you're seeing now is your dream, and we're home, right where you were before we left."

"So this has all been a dream?" Molly was confused; she had convinced herself that this was reality, and she was awake.

"Yeah," Fred said. "You're asleep."

Molly looked stunned. Fred felt horrible about the entire thing; he should have told her sooner. This wouldn't have been as big of a shock if she wasn't looking at herself sleeping. He decided he had better tell her the whole story.

"Er, Mum?" he said tentatively. "There's some stuff I have to tell you."

Molly nodded, and sat down in another chair at the table. She figured this had better be a long explanation, and she wanted to be comfortable. There was also the possibility she would faint, and she wanted to be sitting down.

"Well," Fred started. "You were really depressed. I can see everything, being dead and all, and I was watching you mope around like a lost dog. It sucks, you know, watching your mum day and night, all sad and stuff."

Molly understood what he meant. She hated seeing her children upset, and when her mother was depressed after her brothers died, she hated watching that, too.

"I decided that I needed to do something about it." Of course he did, he always did.

"I waited for a good time to come, and I thought this was the best since nobody's around and it's nighttime, so no one will miss you. They all think you're asleep, which you are, but you can't wake up until I say so."

Great. Her most rowdy and joking son had complete control as to whether or not she would wake up. Molly frowned and crossed her arms across her chest. This wasn't getting any better.

"So I took you to the past to show you that Christmas is a happy time or whatever, to the present so you could see how other people are dealing with their grief, and to the future, to show you what Christmas will be like if you decide to do something and get over me for a day."

Fred looked hopefully at his mother, wondering if she would be angry with him. Instead, he was pleasantly surprised when she got up out of her chair and gave him a giant hug. Unfortunately, her arms went right through him and she fell over.

"Mum!" Fred kneeled down to help his mother up. "Are you alright?"

"Hmph," Molly answered, brushing her hair back from her face. "Why did you let me do that?"

"I didn't think you would," Fred told her honestly. "I thought you would be angry."

"Angry?" Molly was shocked that her son would think such a thing. "Why in the world would I be angry?"

"You looked angry," Fred said. "You didn't seem happy that only I can wake you up."

"Oh, Fred," Molly's voice was softer now as she stood up. "I would never be angry with you. You aren't with us anymore, and every chance I get to hug you, I'm going to take."

Fred backed away. "Remember, you'll fall right through me."

Molly remembered. She had just fallen down because of his being a ghost. "Wait," she had thought of another question to ask. "You are a ghost, right?"

"No," he replied, a grin spreading across his face. "I prefer spirit."

Molly laughed, and Fred joined in, glad that his mother wasn't angry with him. When they were finally able to stop, Fred posed a question that Molly was expecting would come eventually.

"Will you enjoy Christmas?"

Molly thought for a moment, scaring Fred a little. He was worried that all of his efforts wouldn't work, and she would be stuck at the table with a laundry basket forever. Please let her say yes, he thought.

"Of course."

Fred wished he could hug her now more than ever. Unfortunately, that was impossible, though, and he had to settle for the most grateful look he had ever given her. "Thank you, Mum."

Molly wanted to hug her son as well, but instead, she looked at the clock. It read a quarter past midnight. She thought of all the things she had to do before they could actually celebrate, and sadly asked an inevitable question. "Will you wake me up now?"

"Yes," Fred said, the smile wiped off his face.

"Will you ever come back?" Molly wished she could spend more time with him, but she knew he had to go.

"Maybe someday," Fred answered. "Just don't get too upset again, because I don't want to come because I have to. I want to come because I want to."

Before Molly could reply, Fred took out his cloak and threw it over her shoulders, and her alone this time. "Goodbye, Mum." He snapped his fingers, and he was gone.

***

Molly woke up with a start. She felt her shoulders, and the bright orange cloak was still there: her Christmas present from Fred. She thought about all she had been through in the past forty-five minutes, and all of the things she had seen.

She had relived two of her happiest Christmases, seen George at his apartment with Angelina, and even seen what would happen today. She sat up, rubbing her arm, which had been underneath her.

Molly knew she needed to start on preparations, as she was horribly behind. Luckily, that nap she had taken still refreshed her, even through her vivid dreams. She picked up her laundry basket and got to work.

She hung up drapes to match her family's, hung wreaths on the doors, and headed outside to start the snow-people. She conjured ingredients to make cookies and cakes of all different kinds. She worked until she could work no more. Then she walked up to her and Arthur's room, and got into bed to catch another hour or two of sleep.

When Molly woke up in the morning, it was to cheers of delight and surprise downstairs. Her family had seen her efforts from the night before. She quickly made her way downstairs, and told her family of her dreams.

The rest of the day went how normal Christmases went. The whole family got together, including Harry, and they had their snowball fights and dinner. The family marveled at the snow-people in the yard, and ate many of Molly's desserts. It was a wonderful time for them all.

During the toasts, Molly added one more- "To Fred again, for putting this day together."

"To Fred!"

And up in the heavens, Fred grinned his mischievous grin.

***
Chapter Endnotes: I can't believe I'm done with this story! I really loved writing it, and I might do a sequel. I don't have any ideas, but I unintentionally left room for one. Leave me your thoughts in a review?